Where do the engines come from??

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

amc5

I am calling around to different places for prices on B18C1s. They are asking me USDM or JDM. If I am correct , there are a few differences in the two such as wiring harness etc? any others?

also, if I go USDM, where do they get the engines from? Do the engines come out of crashed cars? Is it safe to go the USDM route in fear that the car was in a bad carwreck. Sorry if this is a n00b question, but I really dont know. Thanks

Which would you prefer?

important diffrences would include compression ratio and the resulting hp increase or decrease...

and unless a mount is snapped off the block you should be ok using a motor from a wreck...

hmotors is recommended by everyone here
very good people

For quality JDM motors go to NipponMotors.com
I know a few people that ordered from them. Shipped safe with no sensors broken and with a certificate stating the milage of the motor :thumbsup:

thanks for the info. The reason I ask is, I am in contact with a local company that can do the swap and get the motor. They are local so I can avoid the big shipping fee associated with hmotorsonline.

So the only difference is power? I thought I had read that you have to do something with the wiring harness since the JDM is on the left instead of right or something along those lines.

both hmotorsonline and nippon are great. I have personally bought from both. nippon had better customer servive, just because eric @ h motors is always swamped. 1 man show kinda thing.

also JDM tend to have less mileage than USDM

So the only difference is power? I thought I had read that you have to do something with the wiring harness since the JDM is on the left instead of right or something along those lines.

all JDM motors have a higher CR than the usdm siblings due to higher smog regulatios and running higher octanes in japan. Thus yeilding more overall HP. now if you ask me, the price difference between say an JDM ITR motor and a USDM GSR motor is rediculous considering you gain like maybe 15 hp for another $1500. spend your money elsewhere. also don't underestimate the b16a2. b16's rev like a mad man and going from stock to anything like that ill be nice in itself.

As far as the wire harness..RHD = the harness enters the car on what would be the drivers side in the states, unless you wanna rewire the crap outta your car, use a us one. there is no reason to even try.

so if i get the JDM GSR ,, i will have to buy a USDM GSR wiring harness? Where would I get that? sorry for all the n00b questions but I really appreciate your help.

also, i had considered the B16 SiR-II but everyone says i'll regret not going with the extra torque from the B18C1. All I know is, My friend had a 00' SI (B16) with just exhaust and vtec controller and his would hall friggin ass..

1st of all, what is your motor going into? (car). and yes you need a usdm harness. depending on what you have, there are many options. some are plug and play, some need added wiring, and some are a whole rewire job, depending on what you swap into what

you use the wiring harness from your d16z6 and just lengthen the wires for the o2 sensor and add a knock sensor if you plan on running it

the price difference between say an JDM ITR motor and a USDM GSR motor is rediculous considering you gain like maybe 15 hp for another $1500.

what? this is like comparing apples and oranges...

JDM ITR vs. USDM ITR
or JDM GSR vs. USDM GSR...

and check this out man...
obd1 b-series wiring guide
from the refrence section here, ->swap articles

thanks for the reply. Only thing is... now the ive been thinking.. if i get complete swap $3500 + clutch+water pump+timing belt+header+custom exhaust man Im up over 4500 bucks.....that B16a SiRII or the B16a3 (del sol) is sounding better and better :( ..... for me, that much money isnt easy to come by.. the 2250 for the b16s seems more attainable for me, but i dont want to get it and hate myself for not saving up for the GSR.....im lost... :unsure:

pssstttt....

check out the H22 dude
200 horse 150-160 ft lbs of torque...
motor swap runs about 2200 from a reliable source...
and do your self a favor and always go with a RELIABLE source, i made that mistake with my first motor swap and ended up driving to canada to return it...

the H22 will require some more work, and more custom fabrication but i think you'll be happy with it...

Originally posted by amc5@Mar 8 2005, 04:37 PM
thanks for the info. The reason I ask is, I am in contact with a local company that can do the swap and get the motor. They are local so I can avoid the big shipping fee associated with hmotorsonline.

[post=470790]Quoted post[/post]​

If you get the company that says that they can do the swap then ask about doing an h22. Hopefully they wont want as much as if you were getting a gsr engine. If not, then its up to you whether +13 lbs. of torque and +10 hp from a gsr is worth the extra 1k. It wasn't for me really and I am very happy with my b16. Make sure that this shop gets you a good motor.

well, im not really looking into the H22 swap. im gonna stick with either the b16 or b18. So, you are pretty happy with your b16? did u do a swap?

can i ask why you aren;t even considering an H22 swap?

cause all the "cool" kids run B series???

i;m not trying to down play the B16 but they are torque-less and their usable power range is not very practical for everyday driving...

if you;re down with running your car between 5K and 8K ALL the time, then go B16... but i would rethink the H22 since you are so worried about funds...

H22 swap should run you less than 3500 installed...

edit: and do yourself a favor and pull a compression test after they put your motor in... fuck their warranty... know that the motor is good as soon as you get it... also pull the valve cover... drain the oil and check that out too...

Back