Where should I go to college

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

FFCiv

So I'm a senior in highschool and have gotten into 3 schools and am not sure where to go. I know i have to make the decision for myself but I'd like to hear some input on the schools
1. Uconn
2. Miami University of Ohio
3. Penn State (main campus business school)
anyone have any experience with them?

go where its warm and sunny, and find a home there, and stay there, and never EVER come back
there is nothing worse than being a college when its gloomy as fuck outside, girls are all covered up, with freezing cold shitty weather...

go for the sun, beaches and bikinis

theres some smart ass people that com eout of miami U. Look up Matt Warden when you get there. Tell him I said hi.

Well, I would take UCONN or PSU over Miami of Ohio.

The Schmeal College of Business at PSU is between the top 5 and top 10 business schools in the nation. It doesn't accept transfer students because they want their student body to follow an exact curriculum and will not accept a transfer from any other school as a business major.

I was accepted into this school, but it was a finnacial burden and wasn't on the main campus for the first year - so I decided I rather spend my first two years somewhere else.

As a result, I blew my opportunity with PSU, which would look amazing on a degree but am going to TCNJ, the college of new jersey, which is still top 20 in the nation and far cheaper.

If I had to do it over again, I probably wouldn't make the same mistake and I would have gone to PSU.

To make the decision easier, the campus life is just ridiculous. There's 45,000 students at the main campus and around 90,000-100,000 all together, including satelite campuses. There's always something to do and somewhere to go. I'm up there every weekend and have a really good time going to parties up there with my girlfriend who goes there.

UConn I've never been to, but I felt it was too small at around 16,000 people for my taste so I never bothered to apply.

UConn. and if you go, i want tickets to uconn basketball games, i shouldnt be living to far from there, or Penn, depending on wher eyou go.

UConn>Penn>miami

miami is a great school, dont get me wrong, im going based on sports and personal interest. If you are going for a business or something business related major, go to Penn since youve already been accepted to the business school. I got accepted to UMass but no the business specific school, so i would have to take a year of classes then re-apply. I think you should go to Penn based on education, but UConn to have the most fun.

well...as said before...what is your goal for a degree.

I say if ERAU has the degree, and you can afford the school, or can get the loans to cover it..then that's a rocking school..

not for parties, but for a real education. It is the Yale of aeronautical studies. And they have a full range of studies that is not aviation related, but still cheaper than Yale, or the other high priced schools. Remember, you get what you pay for :wink: If you did class for bussiness at yale, you'll pay out the ass for it, but the same class at ERAU is half the price, and still considered higher than the same class as if you had taken it at Uconn. The university name goes a long way.

I didn't get my classes finished due to an unfortunate DUI, but yet when I just told my employer that I "attended" classes at ERAU, I was offered the job I have now. And I can't complain..I'm making so much mula...but...I wonder what kind of money I would make if I finished my degree :confused: .

Granted, Daytona Beach is a hot town for parties, but as a new college kid, you will be forced to stay on campus as much as they can enforce it.....and your time off campus will be very limited...unless you meet a kid that has connections....but if your smart, you'll stay on the right path...and stay away from the parties til your actually old enough to go out and party. Party is not the main thing for college, but it does help the time fly by, but the GPA drops...trust me....

If and when you can, I guarantee that you will have a seat on the beach watching the high school and college level cheerleaders practice right in front of you around April, before they show up on ESPN for their cheerleading contest is May... :ph34r: There is a few bars on the beach...I hung out there all the time in the afternoons just sipping a few beers with the buds, while watching girls in tights being thrown up in the air multiple times....

If your going for something technical...then thats prolly the best college to get on your resume...literally. The teachers there are the guys that did a tenure at the other high tech schools, and they decided they want a class in the warm weather...most of the tech classes will make MIT look like the Community College of Bridgeport. And thats not BS. Most of the MIT teachers decided to go south, and the best college on the East Coast for Tech is ERAU.

Now, since you are sort of mechanically inclined, I saw it with your first swap, but you need a little more learning....but since you have turbo'es your second car...then your almost ready for the next step...where I'm at, aircraft mech.

The study they will give you will be in such a high degree that you can plug a laptop to a Boeing 777, and it will tell you what problems it had the last flight....and since you have the degree, you will be in the position to tell the lower mechs what the aircraft told you.....you sit and have a cup of coffee, and the other guys will fix it, and you collect a nice paycheck, and you'll be only slightly dirty from the dust on the laptops cords. With the full degree, you'll have an entryjob paycheck in the 80K range....I didn't get the degree, but after 4 years of hard work...I'm sitting at 80-100Ks a year. (this year due to the stike, I'll be about 14Ks shy of what I should have made), but....I really can't complain to much. I still make more than what I did at my last job. Granted...I'm still a blue collar guy, but I make more than a few white collar guys that I know. And if I had the degree, then what I make now would be nothing but chicken hashes on paper.

Look first at what you want to do, then look for the college that you can afford, then look at what ERAU offers, and if it's still in the affordable range, then see if you can get accepted into it. Nice weather, occational distractions, (some tit's), but your main reason for college should be a level of education that you can get. Ohh, by the way, the male to female ratio at ERAU was like 20% 5 years ago....it will help keep your head in your pants while your in class, but what the city offers during the spring will slightly tear you away from your books, but your a good kid, so you should have no problem there seeking a decent degree. But if you can hook up and marry a female pilot, even if she is not hot, but she will take care of you well, when she's flying to other countries...that means you might be able to play around while she's gone....

Trust me, having a wife at home all the time will drive you nuts :ph34r: :wink:

Quoted post[/post]]
I think you should go to Penn based on education, but UConn to have the most fun.

UConn only has the bball games for fun.

PSU has a football team that was a real contender last year.

PSU is ranked in the top 5 party schools in the nation, which is suprising, but if you've been there, you'll know its true.

UPenn might be a party school, but imo that doesnt mean shit. get 20 of your friends together and you can have a party school party anywhere. plus when your not partying UPenn is in literally in the middle of nowhere. that part of PA is only developed because the college is there. UConn seems pretty cool but I have no personal experience. my vote would be for M of O. Every time I go out that way I have a blast and Ohio is hella cheap on everything. I was talking to the president of the TKE at Akron and he said they bought their house last year for like 175,000. a house that sleeps thirty. beer and ciggs are dirt cheap too and available at all times, even after 2 because gas stations dont care.

I say M of O>UConn>UPenn

Quoted post[/post]]
UPenn might be a party school, but imo that doesnt mean shit. get 20 of your friends together and you can have a party school party anywhere. plus when your not partying UPenn is in literally in the middle of nowhere. that part of PA is only developed because the college is there. UConn seems pretty cool but I have no personal experience. my vote would be for M of O. Every time I go out that way I have a blast and Ohio is hella cheap on everything. I was talking to the president of the TKE at Akron and he said they bought their house last year for like 175,000. a house that sleeps thirty. beer and ciggs are dirt cheap too and available at all times, even after 2 because gas stations dont care.

I say M of O>UConn>UPenn
im going to visit 2 saturdays from now after I go to florida. i hear its pretty amazing

Quoted post[/post]]
let's see a reference on the "top 5 party school" list.

This is a bullshit list, and not made by a publisher like the list I'm speaking of but...

http://www.pubclub.com/collegefootball/

That has PSU listed as #10.

If I find the real list, I'll post it up.

...but you don't always have to call me out. :laugh:

I'm looking at Princeton reviews website and can only find the 2006 list and they're not listed in the top 5 party schools...but Lehigh University is.

ahahahhaha Lehigh has like 5,000 students and is more dead than my local community college. My friend is study there as a doctor and all he does is work. They really messed up the '06 list.

*** My girlfriend just said

me: can u find me the thing where it says penn state is one of the top party schools
her: umm i can try
her: i dont think we are anymore
her: Princeton Review's rankings of colleges, The Best 361 Colleges, 2006 Edition, University Park was the 13th biggest party school.

"We cannot rank Penn State University against other schools in the party category because we feel it is unfair to rank professionals against amateurs" -Playboy

As I said in the post below this, PSU is different than UPenn. UPenn probably isn't going to be much of a party school because of the level of committment required there, but again it might be because of the release thats needed because of the requirement.

Quoted post[/post]]

I say M of O>UConn>UPenn

UPenn = University of Pennsylvania = Ivy League School.

PSU = Pennsylvania State University = State school.

You're talking about a school thats Ivy league and reknowned and located in Philadelphia, and a great state university school thats located in "State College" aka east bumblefuck Pa, in the same sentence.

TKE is a decently big frat across the country, but they have a multimillion dollar mansion at PSU. Have you ever been down Frat row at Penn State? I've never seen such big fraternity houses, anywhere else, EVER.

I'm not a frat boy, but if thats your thing - its absolutely huge there. State College is a college town, which makes it beautiful. Everyone understands that its going to be rowdy, and fun, and a big party, and you don't have to worry about pissing off people that don't attent the school or cops.

I can find a good party anywhere, any time.

If you're doing engineering, and on a budget, look no further than Purdue polytech. Or was that Perdue. oh hell.

Quoted post[/post]]

Quoted post[/post]]

I say M of O>UConn>UPenn

UPenn = University of Pennsylvania = Ivy League School.

PSU = Pennsylvania State University = State school.

You're talking about a school thats Ivy league and reknowned and located in Philadelphia, and a great state university school thats located in "State College" aka east bumblefuck Pa, in the same sentence.

TKE is a decently big frat across the country, but they have a multimillion dollar mansion at PSU. Have you ever been down Frat row at Penn State? I've never seen such big fraternity houses, anywhere else, EVER.

I'm not a frat boy, but if thats your thing - its absolutely huge there. State College is a college town, which makes it beautiful. Everyone understands that its going to be rowdy, and fun, and a big party, and you don't have to worry about pissing off people that don't attent the school or cops.
my bad, but still niether school is that great in the way of stuff to do besides party. and honestly i go on alot of roadtrips to other schools and wherever i go we can out drink them by alot. and my school was on that list last in 1985. you can find a great party where ever. go to a school that your not going to be bored out of your mind when you arent drinking.

Quoted post[/post]]
my bad, but still niether school is that great in the way of stuff to do besides party. and honestly i go on alot of roadtrips to other schools and wherever i go we can out drink them by alot. and my school was on that list last in 1985. you can find a great party where ever. go to a school that your not going to be bored out of your mind when you arent drinking.

You're entitled to your opinion, but I'm just going to say I don't think you're very well versed in the campus.

Being the P.O.S. I am, and rather than heading directly to PSU from High School, I decided to take the county college route for finance reasons and because I just wasn't ready for a serious college life. As a result, I've gotten to see a ton of colleges, and explore a ton of other places.

With that said, with atleast 40,000-50,000 attending the school, and add about another 20,000-30,000 people that are interning or stuck around after school, there's a ton of young people there at all times.

They have intramural sports for everything, club sports that play both d3 and d1 schools, and regular sports teams. They have clubs for everything you can think of whether you're asian, or gay, or like cars, or workout.

Beaver Stadium, their football stadium seats 109,000 people - thats more than I'm pretty sure every NFL stadium there is and if not the largest, its in the top 5. If it was so cold in Pa during the winter, you can bet a superbowl would have been held there.

They have a ton of extra playing fields for anyone to play on, pools, tons of tennis courts, a downtown that you can walk around, free golf course, everyone plays ultimate frisbee, football, baseball, soccer, volleyball, etc., outside every weekend morning and when it gets warm at the end of the spring semester its ridiculous how many babes go out in their bikinis and how everyone is outside of the dorms and active. Frankly, it would be like nirvana if it was always warm there - but its still a ton of fun.

Add in ski teams and clubs and all kinds of crap to do during the winter when it snows.

To be honest, I don't think any other school in the nation can touch it for how many things it has to do - just as a result of the amount of people that go there. Sure its in East bumblefuck, Pa but once you're there its like its own world - the drive is the only shitty part.

Back