where should i shift

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

i have a stock gsr in my hatch i with a few minor bolt ons.....where should i shift at when im racing or just gettin down on it

Chip it and hit 11k. jp. :D

From what I understand, you're best bet is dynoing it and shifting at your very peak horsepower but your motor is stock.....

From a stock point of view, they redline at 8200 rpms and the peak horsepower is 7600 rpms, so I'd probably take it myself to probably 7800 give or take 200 at most. You really want to shift when it seems to not be pulling as much through the gear as it was earlier.

My car for instance(93 si) doesn't pull at all until 5k, and pulls very hard till about 7000 then kind of lessens off, so I always shift at most at 6800 and can still chirp 3rd with a semi glazed clutch. ;)

i say shift at like 8000 because if you shift at its peak then when you get into the next gear the RPM will be lower then if you shifted higher. which means it would take more time to get back to its powerband. if you shifted at 8k then it will get there or even land in the powerband.

thanks for the info....is it safe to be takin it that high...its my daily driver i dont wanna mess nothing up

Back