Where to buy or piece together a gym stereo

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Gah. So many questions! Those get great reviews and look like a great speaker, but they're rated at 200watt versus the 400watt VM speakers that were in a wood box, also got good reviews, and were $100 for the pair rather than $150 each. Although those look much smaller and more easily mounted somewhere based on their size and their look.

Do you recommend an amp for any system that I get or only if the speakers are passive and don't have their own amplifier?

I guess some of my struggle with this stuff is that so much of it seems to be each individual's opinion and there doesn't seem to be only one "right" way to do things.
There is no right way, there is only expensive and quality or low budget and shitty, and I guess mid level but not cheap. its just like cars, fast isn't cheap and cheap isn't fast.

Good powered speakers are way out of your Budget and are usually heavy as fuck. I wouldn't get any self powered speakers unless you plan to have a professional install. They can weigh up to 100lbs a piece or more depending on the woofer size.

In all honesty man, you really can't go wrong with getting good quality set of Book Shelf and a home theater receiver considering your not DJing or putting on a concert or doing Karaoke.

I was just at Chilis and took this pic...they are just using small two way's and it sounded perfect...

20150111_115615.jpg

Yeah the bookshelf stuff has just been tough for blowing out. Those places are all for having lower music but we are dipshits and crank the music during the workout. So most of the time the music is at an okay mid level but its face melting during intense workouts and I think that has been our whole problem all along.

Yeah the bookshelf stuff has just been tough for blowing out. Those places are all for having lower music but we are dipshits and crank the music during the workout. So most of the time the music is at an okay mid level but its face melting during intense workouts and I think that has been our whole problem all along.

I crank my BICs up all the time and I have had them for 8 years. And the Klipsch I just refinished are from the mid 1990's and are all original. You buy high quality stuff, it lasts. You won't blow those speakers that I had listed with the receiver I had listed.

You can even Rock 4 of these Klipsch RB 41's which will cost you $400 bucks for speakers and just get a nice receiver

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Klipsch-RB-...14?pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item48761699fe

and and grab this receiver

http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-RX-V47...id=1421011914&sr=8-5&keywords=yamaha+receiver

and you got your self a nice little setup and low budget

I think we are going to either wind up Craigslisting or just spending a lot more than originally anticipated.

Looks like possibly 2 1000-1500watt, self powered, 2 way speakers and a sub. Probably JBL, QSC, EV, or Behringer - although the Guitar Center didn't have any of them to listen to. We will likely spend about $1,500. Pushing the sound on the smaller speakers just distorted them at the levels that we need the sound. Its like 70000 sq feet of open space - so its definitely tough.

when i get to work on wed i will take a picture of the receiver and speaker system we use. the store im at if about 5000sq ft, and we have speakers similar to what corvetteguy posted at chilis. although, our system can get pretty damn loud. we keep it about 10 to 15% volume and its loud enough to hear clearly and sing along, but still have conversations. I've turned it up to halfway a few times when i was opening and wanted to rock out, was told it could be heard down the street a bit. neighbors were none too happy.

now, there are also probably 10 to 12 speakers throughout the store. will take a count as well. the only thing that comes to mind for me is the distance you are placing these speakers from the receiver, that can have an effect on the quality of sound as well as the volume out of the speakers, and can cause extra stress on the unit. the commercial units are designed to be placed in far away areas, you should be looking there. last i looked at used commercial unit with 12+/- channels could be had for the $300-$500 range, then you could buy a couple speakers to get you running, then add a speaker or two every few weeks when you can afford it. Home audio receivers will work and get you by for a while, but those arent built to properly fill the area you are trying to fill for the time you are needing it. the units you are using are designed for smaller rooms, and shorter play times. most people dont leave the music blasting in their house for 10 hours a day 7 days a week at full volume, shit will burn up.
dont go blowing any cash until you look up all of your options. there are units and speakers designed for this specific type of use.

actually, i think it may be this one here, or one similar, i know this was the one that we had at the dealerships i used to work at. there were two units there, and they provided the sound to the showroom, offices, parts, service, and shop. each area had a couple or few plain two way speakers mounted in the ceiling and it sounded good and still had room to go volume wise.

http://www.crownaudio.com/usa/commercial-audio/amplifiers/180a-280a-1160a.html

and here it is on amazon, new it $500, there is one listed for used at 150 plus 20 in shipping. this is the type of stuff you need to be looking at.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000G177N6/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

i just linked to an amp for less than $200. each channel on the amp can handle at least 3 to 4 speakers. im pretty sure you can find at least 4 individual speakers or 4 little wall mount speakers like you posted from chilis for under $500. I dont work again until wed, when i get there i will see what our exact setup is. Buying used is a perfect way to save, and hes just going for better than what he had and more reliable. that amp with some half decent speakers will be a ton better than what he had and way more reliable.

stop messing with "home theater" shit.

You need pro audio stuff.

You need a power amp, or what they call 'active' speakers (self-powered) that listens to a source (any receiver with rca's or better on it probably)

4 of these http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/LS1502A and some central controller would fill it nice
Yeah i totally agree but your talking $300 per speaker, then your going to need mounting hardware which is going to be around $150 bucks, plus a few hundred dollars for speaker wire. thats way above what he is looking to spend.

**Edit - somehow i missed his post about upping the budget to $1500.....now you are on the right track.

so, the options are, spend 500 and blow it up once a month.
or spend 1000 once.

so, the options are, spend 500 and blow it up once a month.
or spend 1000 once.

you won't blow good Home Audio speakers with a Home Audio Receiver..and Companies like BIC have 2 year warranties on their speakers...but i definitely agree if you can spend the money then Pro Audio is the way to go....

also, sonos, or other bluetooth powered speaker systems. a little pricey, but fit within your budget.

I'd start at the receiver and add speakers as money allows. A good receiver should have no problem powering half a dozen speakers.

Those guys that want face melting can rock an ipod and quality Bluetooth headphones. Sounds like you need accountability for blowing speakers.

So, here is what we have at my work:

one of these : http://www.amazon.com/Atlas-Sound-AA35-35W-Mixer-Amplifier/dp/B000K1KEX2
gives 3 separate inputs to choose between, and it goes to 10, we usually have ours set at about 3, which is good volume for a retail store. but, plenty of room to go.

and we have 6 of these: http://www.amazon.com/Atlas-Sound-SM52T-B-Outdoor-Speakers/dp/B00076QKWE

that price is for a pair. pretty pricey, but each speaker powered. and they are all weather speakers, so in the summer time when everybody is sweating and humidifying the place up, these will survive lol. also, our store is long, the two speakers in the back of the store are about 110 feet away from the main amp. they sound just as good as the ones in the front.

if youre wanting to stay under a grand, i would go commercial units. buy an amp and maybe just four speakers for the time being, and in a month or two, add two more. the system we have at work has been running 6 days (sometimes 7) a week for 6 years. and has survived many power surges and outages.
we just have that box and a sirius radio receiver that we plug into it to play music. and when im there alone i plug my phone in and put the volume to about 5 and its good and loud.

I still say you can easily get away with high end home theater book shelves speakers like those Klipsch or those BIC's and a quality receiver for around $750 and be perfectly fine. But again i also agree if you are willing to spend the money Pro Grade Active speakers are definitely the way to go. I would still consider the Behringer Eruolive's B212XLs with a good amp-

OR even better would be the Behringer B115W or 112W depening on the size you want. They are bluetooth so you could just connect your bluetooth device and be done with it. Nothing else extra to buy other then 4 speakers Less equipment failure possibilities as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-EUROLIVE-B112W-Bluetooth-Technology/dp/B00EMDNQSO/ref=sr_1_1?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1421333605&sr=1-1&keywords=EUROLIVE B112W

Invisibledemon, why are you recommending an Amp for powered speakers? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of buying powered speakers?

If you look at the power of the amp it's only 35 watts. It's enough power to ensure that the signal gets pushed to the speakers without any loss, also to control the volume level. The speakers themselves are responsible for the actual power output. Like I said, two of the speakers are in the very back of the store and about 110 feet away from the amp, no telling what the actual wire length is to the speaker, the ceilings are exposed so the wires are snaked around to be hidden, no direct straight line. Those speakers carry the same volume and quality as the speaker that is closest to the amp at 15 feet. The amp pushes the signal and allows for one volume control to adjust all speakers at once. The speakers provide the actual amplification.

Back