Where to find a 2-wire IACV plug?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

graymonkey44

I own a '99 civic lx with a manual transmission. I've been slowly modding it with an ebay CAI and now I want to swap the y7 with a y8. I just recently bought this rebuilt engine off ebay and it seems pretty good.

eBay Motors: HONDA CIVIC D16Y8 1.6 VTEC REBUILT CYLINDER HEAD 96-00 (item 170298214882 end time Jan-29-09 10:40:12 PST)

Now he's also throwing in a vtec solenoid for free so I can't complain. Although he did call it a "selenoid" repeatedly. I don't know if I should be worried about that or not. So anyways. This man also said I needed a y8 wiring harness as well to put the vtec in, but that one digrahm I saw online says I only need a 2 wire IACV plug and can keep my y7 wiring harness. I've been searching everywhere online for one, but can't find one. Does anyone know where I can get one online?

Also I don't know anything about cars so I was planning on bringing it to a honda dealership to get it done or maybe a Midas. Do you know how much they'd charge me to get this done?

No, what you are looking for is a small 2 wire plug for an IACV which you usually have to get from a junkyard. As far as the cylinder head it looks ok, but I would have it checked by someone who is familiar with Honda's just to make sure that everything was done correctly. For this swap you will also need a Y8 ECU, intake manifold, fuel rail with injectors, and throttle body just so you know.

Last edited:
if i'm not mistaking you have to have a new ECU becuase the one you have now won't read for VTEC

i think you could find one cheaper on craigslist or at a junk yard man. i know i could.....

Yeah, I have seen much better prices for complete manifolds and injectors. Now you can use an RPM activated switch, but you this is a bad way to do it because with the ECU you get different fuel and timing maps which take advantage of the VTEC head and give you more power. Just make you get an OBD2b P2P ECU and not an OBD2a.

Does it matter if the intake manifold or exhaust manifold come from an automatic car? Are there any parts that would matter if they were from a manual or automatic car?

Does it matter if the intake manifold or exhaust manifold come from an automatic car? Are there any parts that would matter if they were from a manual or automatic car?

Yeah that is a deal but check whether its from an auto Y8 or a 5 speed because the auto and manual Y8 intake manifolds are slightly different. On the autos the IACV is on the throttle body just like on the Y7, but on the 5 speed ones the IACV is on the back of the manifold. The exhaust manifolds between auto and 5 speed are the same as far as I know, but you can't use them without getting the full exhaust with catalytic converter because on the Y7 its in the exhaust manifold in front of the engine, but on the Y8 its after the manifold and under the oil pan.

If you have a manual set up you do not want the automatic Y8 manifold cause you will have to do some modification for the IACV that goes in back of the Intake manifold such as drilling out holes and tapping which isn't a good idea. The automatic Y8 manifold has the EACV under the throttle body. When you get a hold of the manual Y8 intake manifold you will have to rewire your 3 wire IACV to 2 wire here's what you do:
B PLUG pinouts ---As if the plug were connected to the ecu the top left corner to the right starting at 1-8 second row 9-18 third row 19 ending at 25.
Now the repinning procedure:
Remove B15 Orange wire completely. Now move Black/blue stripe wire from B6 slot to empty slot B23 and that's it no check engine light you are set.

Is there anything else I should know? Cause I already bidded on an item from ebay, but the intake manifold is from an auto so this guy is gonna be pretty mad when I don't buy it.

I've been doing research and the Intake manifold is fine, but it's just the throttle body that needs to be from a manual. Is that right? So either I could just buy a manual throttle body or reuse my y7 throttle body and do some sort of modification. Is that right?

Back