Where to go with my career?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

R&D it is... I am really excited about this and I know it's the right choice. I think down the road I will easily make up for the 9k. I guess it seems so significant now because I don't have half that in the bank currently.

Thanks for the input guys. I know I can always trust people on HS to help make important life decisions:D.

I think that's the right choice. I don't know if you've worked a full-time salary type job before, but it can easily take over your life and monopolize your time. With that being the case, then it's imperative (IMO anyway) to do something that you enjoy...

DONE!

I called and accepted today! The paperwork is in the mail. Now its time to find a place in Marysville with a nice big garage.

Sweet!

You know we only suggested R&D so you get to hang out with the designers and play tapes with subliminal "build a new CRX" messages in the break room, right?

Sweet!

You know we only suggested R&D so you get to hang out with the designers and play tapes with subliminal "build a new CRX" messages in the break room, right?

Maybe after being there for oh 20 years I might have some pull on that

Well here we go... First day of work is tomorrow!

I can never sleep the night before something big like this. Looks like I'll be trolling the boards all night. Any good tips out there for making a good first impression on the first day on the job?

And dont show up all wired on energy drinks because you couldnt sleep the night before.

i'd make sure your clothes are ready for it and that you don't have shit in yer ears. :D

nothing like being the new guy at work with crusty ears and a dryer sheet on your ass.

i'd make sure your clothes are ready for it and that you don't have shit in yer ears. :D

nothing like being the new guy at work with crusty ears and a dryer sheet on your ass.

Already got the clothes done. Now what is this crap growing out of my ears? :p

Any good tips out there for making a good first impression on the first day on the job?

yes....shut your mouth your first week. unless somebody asks for your input, don't talk.

the last thing you want to do is sound like a know it all. just keep quiet and soak everything up. the last job i started, people thought i was anti-social. it just gave me a chance to learn about the job and what was expected of me. i learned peoples personalities about who i can get along with and what is ok to say and do around certain people.

oh, and smile. people like people who are nice and outgoing. if you scowl, people will think you are grumpy.

yes....shut your mouth your first week. unless somebody asks for your input, don't talk.

the last thing you want to do is sound like a know it all. just keep quiet and soak everything up. the last job i started, people thought i was anti-social. it just gave me a chance to learn about the job and what was expected of me. i learned peoples personalities about who i can get along with and what is ok to say and do around certain people.

oh, and smile. people like people who are nice and outgoing. if you scowl, people will think you are grumpy.

That is some very good advice. In other news, the place is full of win. There is so much cool stuff going on I had a big smirk on my face the entire time during my tour. The first day I was helping install prototype parts on a car not coming out for a couple of years, and that I really can't say anything else about. :ph34r:

The job is going to be very diverse which is nice. Some days spent doing 3d design, other days installing and testing, and other working with suppliers, customers, and vehicle artists. :D:D

No. Ask lots of questions. GOOD questions. It shows that you're thinking.

And at your base pay, I should just quit my job and apply to Honda. :( But your taxes pay for me to build the bombs that Uncle Sam drops on people, so I guess it's ok. ;)

I wish I had been online instead of transferring when you asked this question. I would have given you a ton of advice too, but the choice you made is the one I would have recommended. You'll perform better in a job you like and catch up on pay faster than in a job you don't care for.

Now can you get dimensions for certain features on an S2k? :D

Thanks for the advice Cal. I've been doing just that- asking good questions, and showing my interest. What sort of dimensions are you looking for?

One cool thing I noticed is that every other day or so, there is a huge bang, and the floor shakes. After asking around, it's because the crash test chamber is right below my desk.

I'm beginning to get sick of the new accord coupe, and the new civic si. There are literally hundreds of them in the employee lot. Its like they are giving them away for free or something. What's sad is that after working at Honda, I will never be able to buy a new one because I can't stand seeing them all over the place.

do you get a mad employee discount? :D

It really depends on what the car is. I priced out a new mdx for my mom and I think I would save like 6 grand. What is cool is that they have a website dedicated to Honda employees so they can buy Honda products. It's like a 30% discount on honda power equipment (mowers, generators, ect...)

What I'm waiting for is to see the discount on Honda parts. Basically I can get parts for bottom line dealer cost. Whatever that is? If it turns out to be a deal I'm going to get a brand new type-r trans for my hatch.

They are strict about who gets the discounts though. It's limited to you or your immediate family.

Back