Where to now?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

George777

^^ Likes Bewbies
*Went to post this and screen went blank. I apologize in advance if there are two threads with the same thing. Didn't see it posted though.*

B20B in EF hatch. PR4.

The symptoms:

Car had/has an issue starting. Sometimes it just cranks over and never starts. Sometimes it will fire over on the first try. Once it's been running, it will fire over and run after that.

Had a weird humming noise coming from the intake manifold. Once the car warmed up, it would really start going crazy. Sounded almost like a Hoover under the hood.

Idle was high. Around 1500ish. When given throttle, it would sit around 2000 until it slowly worked it's way down towards the 1500ish area.

Timing is as retarded as it will go, and it's still about 5* too advanced.

Today, I got a code 16--Fuel injecton system.

Solutions:

Clayton came over this morning and we looked at a few of the problems. Tinkered with some stuff, and replaced some parts from the other IM that I have. We replaced the EACV, and it took care of the high idle, as well as the humming noise, so I believe that that no longer poses a problem.

I replaced the throttle body with another one, installed the new gasket, and swapped over the TPS. I have since gotten a CEL for the TPS. After researching into it, I measured the voltage, and everything checks out within specs--.45 fully closed to 5.01 WOT. If I reset the ECU, the CEL will sometimes go away, other times it will come on as soon as the car starts. Almost seems intermitten, but don't really know for sure.

Decided that I would consider all options for reasons to why it wouldn't start. So I started doing the basics.
-Checked to ensure pump was working.
-Getting spark.
-Gas isn't old, and there is plent of it.
-Plugs, cap, and rotor are new.
-Firing order is right.

I was thinking that perhaps I wasn't getting enough fuel. Perhaps the pump was working but the fuel pressure wasn't high enough. Was also thinking that maybe my resistor box is on the way out. Wiring seems to be good, though. Tank and pump are new. I plan on to put a pressure gauge on there and monitor the fuel. I just have to head to Clayton's to grab one so I can do that.

I am going to continue tinkering with various things, however, I am not really at a position at this current point to put money into my car.

Any input or advice as to what else to look at would be appreciated. I think I have narrowed it down to only a few posibilities, but want to make sure that I am not overlooking anything else I can check.

If clarification is needed, just ask.

TIA

Last edited:
Update:

The little plastic piece on the inside of the TPS was broken, which could have explained my lack of throttle response. Plan to replace it once I get some money, but in the meantime, super glue will have to suffice.

Took the timing belt off the car to retime the motor. With the dizzy retarded all the way, it was still too advanced. Should have that completed in the next day or two. I'll update when it gets assembled and running again.

Hopefully the throttle response/TPS problem goes away, and I can get my ignition timing right.

Back