Where to start....?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

killingspree27

Ok so i just recently purchased a 91 LS integra and i plan on upgrading it but have now idea where to start. Right now all i know that is has is A cool air intake(no idea what brand it doesnt say any where on it), a short shifter racing clutch, and dumb ricer tip :p I've read around alot of different places but still dont have a clue where to start, PLEASE help me out. Also down the road i plan on putting either a turbo or spray in it, and maybe looking at changing the head and tranny for a b16 vtec head and a b16 tranny.( from what ive read those are good choices). and please dont say go read all the other posts first... I have read them, and they all are either Completely different cars or already have been upgraded. Im a newb right now, please help me!!!

P.s. We all have to start somewhere right?

the place to start is figuring out what you really want out of this car
what do you want to use it for
what do you want to spend getting it there
what are your mechanical abilities (will you honestly be able to do the work yourself or will you need to find a shop to do it)

if you start off just throwing mods at the car without any real plan or goal you will inevitably end up wasting a lot of time and money... and end up with a half finished project that you will get increasingly frustrated with and bored of, until you finally end up abandoning ship and losing your ass on all of the time and money you put in to it

so come up with a goal
then figure out what it will take to get you there
then make a plan to get there

I want to make an all motor ls/vtec build for right now, then later down the road when i save what i need up, ill just pay off everything at once. Just not sure what parts are good to start with, how much they are, and what brands are good, etc.

All motor is gonna be more expensive than turboing it. Like we tell all of the people that come here. Save up and do it right the first time. Otherwise it'll end up costing you more. An all motor build is completely different from a turbo build.

Please listen to our advice. Too many people hack up Civics these days and then try and sell them for twice what they're worth.

Alright, thank you! Also i just put on new aftermarket header i had just purchased last night. After installation i started it up to make sure things were good... But seriously within the first 10 seconds of being on the headers get so hot you cant even touch them. Now i did not have the 02 sensor in but i just really doubt it would cause it to do that within that short of a time period. Also it started to smoke, but im guessing that one would be normal because of grease and such touching it before hand. IF it is the 02 sensor i will just replace it and be happy :) but the old stock headers before never did this.

Yea... seems kinda obvious that the header is going to be hot.

Alright thanks guys. In your opinions, what would be the best things to get first? Mainly the things that will help me use spray or turbo, but will increase my performance in the mean time.

i agree....

if your stock brakes are in good condition, i would get into suspension first. having good suspension and brakes are going to be key if you ever get to the point of making power. they also contribute more to the overall daily driving experience.

as far as power mods, you really just need to pick a goal and work towards that. throwing random parts on will end up with you selling them to get other parts down the road. trust me, i have been through a few hondas with many different setups over the last 15 years. if your eventual goal is a basic ls/vtec then start with a quality header and exhaust, an intake of your choice, and then save up for the conversion. there is TONS of info on this site and many others about doing a lsvtec setup. they can be done cheap and make a little power, or done right and make 200+whp. but for the price of a nicely built lsvtec you could have boosted your ls motor and made more power. do you research, pick a goal, hell you can even basically copy someone elses build that came out with results you like.

Would you recommend replacing the tranny to something different like the gsr or the b16? Ive heard those have more torque and shorter shifting points. And as for internals for the engine, what things will be best to do first?

gsr transmission is the best all around gear ratio. as far as building internal parts, you dont want to tear the motor down more than once. start buying parts now, then when you have everything you do it all at once.

Thank you guys :D What parts and brands of the parts would you recommend for internals? They can be a little expensive but if i can id rather not spend more then i really should on certain parts, like if one part is almost the exact same as the other, just one costs more kind of thing.

Back