Where we you 5 years ago?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

posol

RETIRED
Yes, its the 5th aniversary of 9/11/01 today.

It's one of those times in life that everyone remembers where they were when they first heard about it.

Me, I was walking in late to work at the retaurant... Everyone was in the bar area watching the tv. A few moments later, the 2nd plane hit. I watched it live on tv.

Where were you?

I'd been off work for an hour, then my sister in law came into my room and woke me up with "James wake up, one plane hit the world trade tower, and one hit the pentagon"

wha?

So I turned the TV on to watch Katie Couric gasp in horror as the second plane hit the tower. Then I was fairly pissed when the towers fell.

i had just woken up off my uncles couch .. my girl at the time went to NYU .. i could get ahold of her all day..

well the day before i just gotten off a flight from being down in Alabama for a month for the job i was working at. woke up on that day and decided to flip on the tv and every channel had the same thing on. i was getting pissed cause i didnt wanna see the news but finally gave up and watched and thats when they showed the 2nd plane crash into one of the towers. i was horrified as i watched it all happen on tv. i told my room mate what happened and he didnt believe me until he sat down and watched. i pretty much watched tv that whole day to see what was going to happen next.

RIP to those that died on 9/11/01 and to the brave people who aided those that survived, thank you.

I was asleep on my best friend's floor with his fiance in the bed some ten feet away (it's a studio apartment and I was a temporary roomie). Phone rang and I ignored it... I had the day off. I hear him through the answering machine saying that the WTC had been blown up and there is smoke pouring out of the buildings. In almost one smooth motion I shot up, grabbed the remote and cut on the TV.

The rest, as they say, is history.

i remember it like it was yesterday. i had just gotten home from a 2 week vacation. i was still in the air force at the time. i was working nights that week and woke up to watch some tv. i was watching mtv or some garbage and everything got interrupted.

i saw the news from the very beginning. and all i could think was, "man, this is gonna make my life suck."
sure enough, it did. we were stationed at hill afb in utah.about 30 minutes north of salt lake city. so the olympics sucked ass because we were flying security. then we got deployed to protect the capital after that. 6 days on, 1 day off working 14 hour days sucks. especially when you are on salary.

i remember on tv one black guy came running out. this was live to. he had the greatest quote ever. "i heard a loud bang, and all the white people went back to work. I said, "fuck this,i'm getting the fuck outta here". it was live to, so it wasn't edited. god damn did that series of events suck.

In homeroom in highschool my senior year. I had it in the library and the AV room next to it had it on tv. Then i went to business management where we had two tv's and put the news on all day while we did our work, after a class get together to watch it and take it all in. My mother came crying down the hallway (worked in the connected middleschool). SHe was crying because my cousin worked in Tiffanys, one of the surrounding buidlings that fell, her husband at the time worked in the 2nd tower with his sister and father. They all got out and were ok, but they all split up and my cousin and her bf showed up covered head to toe in black soot. Another cousin, her husband was the bar manager of one of the restaurants in the top floors, but he doesnt go in until noon, thank god. My father and mother grew up in NYC, they had people they knew from highschool and college who were int he buildings and died and some that got out.

I was a senior in hs at the time. my mom woke me up telling me what happened and i needed to get up. at the time, the importance of it wasn't clear to me, i kind of shut it out, i guess my way of dealing with it. basically i stayed by the tv watching until i had to go to school that day, and saw it pretty much all day at school.

i have no idea where i was or what i was doing.
ive moved 6 times since then
ive had 4 dif jobs since then
ive gotten married since then
ive had 2 kids since then

i couldnt even guess where i was at when the towers went down. was just another day for me.

i was in history class in high school, and we went to the library to watch, and i just remember thinking "this isn't real..." i just couldn't believe it was happening

Junior year of hs. Pre-hondaswap and didn't own a car. I was in Algebra 2 honors. I just remember laughing at the stupidity of a pilot. At the time I thought a single engine plane had accidentally crashed. It wasn't til the 2nd one hit that I realized it wasn't an accident.

I was home here in Oregon, on vacation from my mlitary life in the UK. LOL, my birthday is actually Sept 11th

I was in choir practice (yeah, it's cool when you're no. 1or2 in the state depending on the year-lol) but one of the assistant principals came in, whispered something in my directors ear, and he goes: "This is one of those moments, like Kennedy's assassination, that people will remember where they were when they heard about it." Then we started watching the news all day.

Funny because I have always remembered that, and i'll always talk about it.

First plane hit I was on my way to work at Connecticut Web Design and listening to Dee Snider Radio, Beth had stated a plane hit one of the towers. I arrived at work 5 minutes later and told my boss about it and we quickly went to the TV and watched the second plane hit, shortly thereafter the Pentagon and then after that the crash of United 93 in Pa. We were glued to the TV all day long and grew more and more pissed off as we watched. We felt helpless....

it was my senior year of high school...i was in my tech theater class...the principal wouldnt allow any of the teachers to put it on the tv...i guess they didnt want it to distract the students from learning...i dunno...but luckily my teacher was cool as shit and she didnt care...she kept it on the tv and i saw the second plane hit...it was crazy! definitely something i will never forget...

Back