Where we you 5 years ago?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Its crazy. I remember watching it on the TV . . . now I walk past Ground Zero every day when I go to work :/

high school, sitting in the theatre room waiting for our buses because we had a field trip that day....yeah, that got canceled.

i dont think anyone stopped watching the news that day

Was getting ready for work.. glued to tv before i went to work...

5 years ago today....

It was my second day at wor for Sikorsky, and I was in the flight office when the first plane hit, saw the news about it as soon as it was broadcasted, and then watched the second plane hit live on TV...sad moment...then all hell breaks loose at work...

since we had half a fleet of Columbia's helicopters flyable, they started to tow everything in off the flight feild so they wouldn't get destroyed, then they towed them back out and had all the local shops paletize first aid stuff and water and they came to load them up in the helicopters. My second day, and I'm watching the attacks on TV, and I was actually giving suggestions to the other guys at work. Like the Columbian heli's were still marked with columbian markings, so I suggested it wouldn't be a good idea to have them fly into the airspace marked that way, so we all grabbed some tape and covered the markings so they wouldn't be fired on by someone...then they went to try to lift people off the top of the towers, but I guess the heat from the fires gave too much turbulance that they couldn't get close enough to help. Then the buildings started to fall...and thats when I suggested that we lower the flag to half mass infront of the hangar.

it was a bad day....and they will not be forgotten... :(

I was a sophomore in High School. I believe I was in a Math class, because I remember coming from that wing of the school. We all met downstairs in the library to watch it unfolding live. Parents were coming and going to pick kids up, kids were being called down to the office to receive bad news and the like.

My school was only 45minutes away from the city, so we experienced some serious tragedy. The one girls father worked on the 105th which is right where the plane hit.

I didn't really think so much about my Aunt because I thought she lived fairly far away, but apparently her and her new husband had watched the second plane hit the second tower, from a top the art gallery they own.

I'll never forget going to our State meet for Cross Country and looking out at the skyline of NYC from Garret Mountain, NJ and no longer being able to see the towers like I had the year before. We could still see the smoke up in the sky and that was a week afterwards.

Last edited:
I was sitting at my desk reading cnn.com, and chatting in an irc channel. and watched live video feed of it all.

I was a freshman in highschool, and much to my disgust, the school and faculty kept it secret from most of the kids until the day had finished. The school has just been built, and internet was not functioning in any of the classrooms.Around lunch time, a lot of news had filtered in from cell phones and a good deal of kids were dismissed. Someone said something about a cruise missle, and another rumor mentioned the Sears Tower. I kinda thought it wasn't anything big, and remembered joking with some friends on my way back from lunch. In band class I got my hands on a radio and checked WBZ1030 and immediately found out what was going on. We also had a TV with a standard antenna on it, and tunned it in to the news. We practically fought off our teacher to watch the broadcast, which kinda makes me feel sick inside to this day. When I went home, I felt a little cheated by the school and the administration by the fact that this horrible news - era-changing news - was held from us, just so teachers could conduct class. It was not as if we weren't mature enough to know what was happening, it was a high-school.

Some people knew exactly what they were doing when one of the planes hit, and a lot of people could reflect back on that exact moment. Unfortunately, when both the planes hit, and the towers fell - I had no idea anything had happened at all. :(

I was in my 8th grade social studies class when it happened. Some people started crying, and the whole thing was just awful. I remember my teacher telling the class that we might also be a target(Cincinnati), considering we have P&G as well as some other major manufacturing plant HQ's. That day sucked.

much to my disgust, the school and faculty kept it secret from most of the kids until the day had finished.

Same thing had happened at my school kind of. I was in 8th grade then. The school pretty much went on lock down. They had us go to lunch early and told us we were not allowed to talk and our parents would be picking us up soon. They refused to tell us anything, which pissed off a lot of the parents.

yeah, we went to all classes that day (since the field trip was canceled) but no one did any work. pretty crazy day...i stayed in the rotc room all day...couldnt deal with the fuckin kids acting like kids.

i was watchin the news about the first plane and watched the second one live on tv. the thing i remember the most was how eery the sky was at night with no planes flying around. probably one of the most vivd memories i remember.

I got up late for work from being out monday night at the broncos vs giants game. turned on the tv and saw the first tower in smoke, saw the little bit about the second one getting hit, had to jump on my bike and get to work only to find out that they closed work for the day because of the attacks in NY

I had just left Ft Stewart GA and was in Cali before going to ft sill ok. I had only been in the army like a year and was staying at my sisters. I had to call all over the place to see if I had to return to Ga.

I remember I was walking through the office, and walked passed a guy who said "hey, did yuo hear? A plane just hit the WTC. I just heard it on the radio"... I stood there with him as we listened, then i walked upstairs to the conference room. There were already people there watching... We watched in amazement.

Then I went back to my desk, and began watching a video feed of it. My boss came in, I asked if he had seen it (As the 2nd Tower was falling) and he said "You are wasting Bandwith"... I then realized that man had no soul, and was A1 Douschebag and I dont miss him one bit.

Back