Where were you?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I was working at a marina at the time, outside, working on a boat, listening to Howard Stern, when it went down. I can't recall what was said, but at first I thought it was a joke. Then I heard him take a tone in his voice that I've never heard from him before or since. I switched to NPR, and was floored. I stopped what I was doing and went to sit under an oak tree to think. I looked up at the sky. It was a beautiful cloudless day in the 70's, no wind. I tasted the air as it entered my throat and lungs. I felt the earth beneath my bottom, and the tree behind my back. I watched some ducks swim in the water, then take off and fly away. I watched some retiree leave the dock in his boat, off on a day's adventure. All that I observed... all of it... oblivious to the horror and sadness that was going on just a few hundred miles away in NYC. I cried.

*moment of silence*

I was in my Financial Management course when 9-11 happened, the entire university was evacuated and shut down for the day.

I was just stepping out of the shower when the news broke over here. It was just before 7AM Pacific time. Then I had to go to school and hear about all my teachers' thoughts on it.

i was in my 11th grade Math Studies class. another teacher came in and turned on the TV and it dint really click for a while at what was actually going on. this was before they knew it was terrorists. i remember some 10th grade nerdy mofo talking about it being "those damn palistinians".

I had woken up early to drive to college (45 mins away) and went to my families resturant for breakfast. Everybody was staring at the tv and i wasnt sure what was happening. The next thing i knew i saw the second plane flying into the building. Made for a wierd day at school.

I live up in Toronto, Canada. I slept until 1:30pm that afternoon. I woke up and called my buddy Justin on the phone. He works at Pearson International Airport. He said he was swamped and couldn't talk. I asked him what was the matter......he said "you haven't heard??"....No I replied.... "turn on the TV...any channel". And there it was. Pretty nuts. I ended up watching CNN the entire day (even though I think CNN is senceless American propaganda bullshit). It's funny how we can all remember that stuff.

But to tell you the truth...It didn't hit me even close to as hard as it may have hit you guys. I pretty much thought to myself that this type of shit happens every day in the middle east....suicide bombings....countless people dying every day....where's our tears for them?

It was absolutely terrible what happend (I actually had a relative die in tower two), but I kinda just shrugged the whole situation off with the attitude "it was bound to happen sometime or another"......

RIP to all the people that died in this stupid-ass war....not just americans, not just iraqis or any other nationality.....ALL of them.

R

At work, getting ready to head down to the shop floor to check on some stuff. It was crazy.

I actually left Queens early that day to get to school, when I got to school I was in my Computer Drafting (something like that) class. Teacher got a call and had a TV brought in. It was a crazy day.

I was sitting in my spanish class, when the french teacher in the next room over came in the room crying- My entire class went over to her classroom to watch, and we saw the second plane hit and the tower fall- It was rough man, a few of the kids in my class had parents that were def. in NYC at that point-

and to top it all off, we still had full pads football practice that night- But my mom was so pissed she came and bitched my coach out with about 6 other moms and pulled us off the field-

good thread Ji, this is a good way to honor that day :)

my parents woke me up at like 5a.m. hawaii time and were like "matt, you have to wake up!!! something terrible has happened..." I was thinking like yah yah, the president got shot or something, but no...I remember the shock just overwhelming me. At first i thought it was kind of sick joke, because it was just so crazy and unexpected, but when i realized that this was all really happening, i just kinda sat in front of tv and watched in horror... Once i saw the towers fall, i knew that there wouldnt be any survivors...let all of the 9/11 victams R.I.P.

i had just returned from a business trip the day before on a plane and when i woke up the next day and saw that stuff that happened, i was very thankful that i didnt leave a day later or God knows what would have happened to me.

but the day it happened, i was at my apartment...just woke up and was flipping through the channels and saw the first plane after it had hit. i figured it was some movie and seen that it was on all the tv stations. i sat there pretty much the rest of the day hoorified. it still saddens me to this day that something like that happened. a few days later i bought a Wanted Dead or Alive (with the word Alive X'ed out): Osama Bin Laden and i still wear to this day.

RIP to those who gave their lives in the 9/11 terrorists attacks on the US

I was asleep. Had gotten home about 3 or so hours earlier from working 3rd shift. my sister in law came in and woke me up.

i was in 11th grade and went to my networking class. we watched the news on a 32" computer monitor most of the day. all my classes were canceled except my spanish class. the asshole teacher was from cuba or somewhere in central america and didn't really care. he said we had to move on and learn how to conjugate verbs.

Just about to get off work at my unit in Germany, we thought my buddy was joking, he was saying someone bombed the Pentagon (didn't even know they had hit the WTC too for about an hour). Threat Con level went to Delta, we didn't get off work for about two weeks.

i just walked into work, and watch plane #2 hit live as i walked through the bar on my way to punch in

I had just gotten dressed and was eating a bowl of Honey Bunches of Oats as I watched the second plane hit the WTC. It's all we talked about at school that day.

I was sitting in my Industrial Tech class, gluing some scraps of wood together for my Miniature Skate Park... That day was fucked up, the teacher pulled the only Arabian kid away from all the power tools that could harm anyone... the parents of the kid later sued teh school ($200K) and the teacher ($10K) and pulled him from Truman High School for Racial Profiling.

More than an eventful day!

I was sitting in my spanish class, when the french teacher in the next room over came in the room crying- My entire class went over to her classroom to watch, and we saw the second plane hit and the tower fall- It was rough man, a few of the kids in my class had parents that were def. in NYC at that point-

and to top it all off, we still had full pads football practice that night- But my mom was so pissed she came and bitched my coach out with about 6 other moms and pulled us off the field-

good thread Ji, this is a good way to honor that day

Yea, that day was ass, people went a little nuts, but that's DV for ya. I was in Mr. Moron's class (lol). I just got up and left to smoke a cigarette. A couple of my friends died there though.

Security is tight right now in Manhattan, it's been real tight since the Bush Convention. I was searched twice trying to get to Queens. During the Bush Convention, you weren't allowed to walk down many of the streets. I had to take a train from Penn Station (34th and 8th) to the Port of Authority (42 and 8th). It was fuckin retarded. I wouldn't even bother trying to take a bus or a train through Manhattan until at least mid October now.

Back