Where would you start?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

78civic - Thank you very much for the info. If you don't mind I'll PM you if I have any questions. As for the wheels the one's pictured are 17's. I was thinking of using the Velox pg-rev 10 wheels that weigh only 11.5 lbs.
VX8-metal500.jpg

phyregod- thanks for the info. I'm going to the local pick and pull this week and see if I can find the trailing arms and disc brakes.

Aww, thanks.. I'll try and answer to the best that I can. You need to refresh my memory at times so I know who the heck you are and what we're talkin about. (I don't remember much of the 70's either)

Anywho, Yes those are some nice rims! BUT, You gotta remember that the larger the rim, the easier it is to bend. That's why these manufacturers have jumped in with BOTH FEET, They are laughing all the way to the bank.

Did you know that there are business here in the Memphis area that one can RENT rims for their cars..?? Look in the yeller pages for shops that 'FIX' damaged rims. More of them than you would think.

Getting back, It might look coool for a trailer queen or if the suspension was created for large rims. But if you have to make an evasive move to stay safe and you are hindered because you can't turn the wheel as far as you would need to... Then they might be more expensive than first thought. (ultimately fixing yours and someone else's car or property)
This 89crx that I just brought home had all sorts of rub marks that actually rubbed thru the plastic and damaged the struts/tires.
I can't imagine the ride that it gave.

Get to the part of site that concern autocross and roadrace. Those guys are the real 'know it alls' Most have come up with all sorts of 'tricks' that help them to win. And Suspension is a BIG part of it.

You probably will seem like you're going faster with the right parts doing the right things at the right times, so start there.
Keep in thought that these cars are getting close to 25yrs old, And you're not the first person in your car that has pushed it to it's limits..

E

Ok. Here are some updated pictures of my project. Any one know anybody that does underbody coating in the North Bay the closer to Sonoma County the better. I am going to get the whole body soda blasted (power washed with baking soda) to strip the whole car clean to bare metal. That way I can make sure there is no rust on the car. I plan to keep it for a long time. I'm not sure if I want to use a rubberized coating or frame coating as of yet. I might stick with rubberized for the sound deadening and a bit more protection.

Well I'm going to follow your advise. I'm going to start with a clean body just get the underbody coated then I'm going to move onto the suspension and engine. Since I will probably end up using a b16a swap what is recommended for a 2" drop? Coils and struts only and keep the rest stock? I want to have good road feel and I don't mind having a bit of a stiff suspension. I want to have a good response and handling. I'm trying to keep the suspension under $1,500.

I'm trying to keep the whole project under 6g's at least for suspension, engine, tranny, and wheels. I will be running 17" wheels with 205/40r17's. Thanks

Before
20173_1162675321737_1673471542_3294.jpg

DSC_0332.jpg

After

DSC_0417.jpg

DSC_0420.jpg

DSC_0422.jpg

DSC_0425.jpg

DSC_0431.jpg

Good job on project so far coming along, I just wish I still had my ef sedan lol I love the ef models I've got a b18a1 in my hatch and my next project will be wagovan : ) minime swapped boosted 4wd, keep at it. And as far as motor go big if you can afford it do h22 you will love the out come of that build

While you have the interior out, upgrade the fuel pump..
Does you city use salt for snow removal? Otherwise, I wouldn't add the extra weight. Just keep it clean.
The places around here that soda-blast charge about 100/bag. If you are gonna keep the same color, just have it scuffed up and shoot it with a good epoxy primer (after you get the suspension the way you like)

Do you have emissions testing that won't let you 'clean up' you intake tract?
Pull off ALL THAT MUFFLER SYSTEM FOR THE AIR CLEANER! It's about 4-5lbs of crap. SEE that 'tube' over your radiator? People lean on it and if it's a plastic tank, they crack it ruining the radiator!
I wanted to make a ram-air setup with a small scoop in the hood that feeds directly to the T/B (taking off the lid of the air chamber that is.) But I'm going to an engine swap later. I took everything off up to the air chamber at the T/B.
On mine, I used a whole rear suspension (with cables) from a 90 teg 4dr and it basically bolted in. But I had to use the civ's LCA's.
I also have a cluster with tach if needed for sale.

E

def a sweet sleeper.. i just picked up a 91 dx hatch planning on going w the h22..

the car came w a b18a1 full swap in the trunk i wanna sell and d15 w a new head i wanna pull and sell too

def a sweet sleeper.. i just picked up a 91 dx hatch planning on going w the h22..
Kewl, let me know when you start your post so I can follow you. I am straight new to this so I am looking into my options before I do anything. I have noticed a lot of people using the b16a that's why I was inclined to use that engine. But if you guys think an h22 will be funner I might go with it..

While you have the interior out, upgrade the fuel pump..
Does you city use salt for snow removal? Otherwise, I wouldn't add the extra weight. Just keep it clean.
The places around here that soda-blast charge about 100/bag. If you are gonna keep the same color, just have it scuffed up and shoot it with a good epoxy primer (after you get the suspension the way you like)

Do you have emissions testing that won't let you 'clean up' you intake tract?
Pull off ALL THAT MUFFLER SYSTEM FOR THE AIR CLEANER! It's about 4-5lbs of crap. SEE that 'tube' over your radiator? People lean on it and if it's a plastic tank, they crack it ruining the radiator!
I wanted to make a ram-air setup with a small scoop in the hood that feeds directly to the T/B (taking off the lid of the air chamber that is.) But I'm going to an engine swap later. I took everything off up to the air chamber at the T/B.
On mine, I used a whole rear suspension (with cables) from a 90 teg 4dr and it basically bolted in. But I had to use the civ's LCA's.
I also have a cluster with tach if needed for sale.

E

It doesn't snow here in Sonoma County (wine county) What fuel pump do you recommend? I was thinking of replacing the fuel tank with a cell to reduce weight, but would I be able to place the cell under the car where the tank is? I have a few plans for the air intake once I have the engine all set up.

The city doesn't smog after the initial for transfer, but I also want to try and keep it on the quiet side if I can to keep it a sleeper. I am picking up the rear trailing arm and disc's from a 91 teg today. Will I need the M/C also? I already have the 40/40 valve.

Good job on project so far coming along, I just wish I still had my ef sedan lol I love the ef models I've got a b18a1 in my hatch and my next project will be wagovan : ) minime swapped boosted 4wd, keep at it. And as far as motor go big if you can afford it do h22 you will love the out come of that build

Yea, I've always been a 4 door guy. Even my pick up had to be full crew cab i don't like ext cabs.. The reason why I ended up with this car is because I got a deal on it and an '88 for $500 for both cars. Flipped the other one for $1,300 so that's some extra spending money.

Thanks guys, going to look into the h22..

bump on the build . would like to know which exhuast your going to use for the sedan. ive bin searcthing and cant find one. i own a 1990 sedan and im not going to do really anything too radical but i plan on headers down pipe and cat-ebay and a jdm cat back exhuast(but the civic ones dont fit and ive heard the 90-93 integra catbacks fit but i dont have the 160 to waist if it doesnt). jdm coilovers and camber kit.( lower it a little nothing radical maybe 2 inches-2.5) cool air intake. and proble powder coat black a pairof 15in steelies.

78civic - Thank you very much for the info. If you don't mind I'll PM you if I have any questions. As for the wheels the one's pictured are 17's. I was thinking of using the Velox pg-rev 10 wheels that weigh only 11.5 lbs.
VX8-metal500.jpg

phyregod- thanks for the info. I'm going to the local pick and pull this week and see if I can find the trailing arms and disc brakes.
Getting back, It might look coool for a trailer queen or if the suspension was created for large rims. But if you have to make an evasive move to stay safe and you are hindered because you can't turn the wheel as far as you would need to... Then they might be more expensive than first thought. (ultimately fixing yours and someone else's car or property)
This 89crx that I just brought home had all sorts of rub marks that actually rubbed thru the plastic and damaged the struts/tires.
I can't imagine the ride that it gave.

You probably will seem like you're going faster with the right parts doing the right things at the right times, so start there.
Keep in thought that these cars are getting close to 25yrs old, And you're not the first person in your car that has pushed it to it's limits..

Back