Where's this oil coming from?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I wasn't saying that the car wasn't starting BECAUSE of the oil being low.

You said the oil was low on the dipstick. Your supposed to run the engine for at least a few minutes before you can get an accurate reading on the dipstick. since the car wouldn't start and you were still worried about the oil, i said get the car to start before you see how low the oil is.

sorry if i was confusing but i thought i was pretty clear

I was too high to understand what u meant civicsolidus.. and right about now.. I'm drinking. I don't think now is a good time o debate the situation. But thx for the suggestion. really. and blanco repeatin yuhself aint helpin meng

You said the oil was low on the dipstick. Your supposed to run the engine for at least a few minutes before you can get an accurate reading on the dipstick. since the car wouldn't start and you were still worried about the oil, i said get the car to start before you see how low the oil is.

Your supposed to run the engine for about a minute and then shut it off to check the oil AFTER the oil and filter have been changed. Not when the engine has been sitting. This method is done so the oil is forced to the pan by means of oil pressure. Than you let it sit for a minute or two and let it all go down to the pan. If the car was running, and then sitting for a while, checking the dipstick from there is fine as long as the car is on level ground. Come on guys, you should know these things, its basics. :)

Thank you LS_VTEC. I'll do that. I would go out there now and do that but it's wet and cold outside and everyone in my house may think I'm drunk and crazy. I'll save that for my 57 degree Fahrenheit temperature tomorro.. yessir.. I'll prob walk outside butt naked..

I always thought you check the oil when the engine is cool, level and have sat for atleast 10 mins to get an accurate reading, since the oil will drop and settle in the crankcase giving you a the total amount.

If i try to check the oil when the car as been running the oil is everywhere on the dip stick.

if you still cant find it wash the motor off with some degreaser and go to the parts store buy an oil leak dye kit. wait till its dark and walla it will light up all your leaks. Only bad thing is you will find every leak u didnt want to know about.

I mean how bad can it actually be..? I wish I didn't say that but really how bad CAN it be? cuz like I sed.. ima put it off until I at least get the car to start.

Last edited:
Back