which alternator belt for type-r crank pulley?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

oh believe me i understand that all these engines are not the same and they vary in rod/stroke ratios. some being better than others. however like i said not only did the guy with the c5 engine have no trouble, but there were plenty of others in not just that thread, but other threads who have used the ctr pulley on ls b18a and b18b engines with no trouble once so ever. it seems the majority of (few) people who were made example of to represent the design flaw of this pulley were questionable builds in themselves (ls/v, and boosted applications). At this point i have no reason to believe my oil pump is going to implode on itself. If it does than perhaps i'll change my mind about these pulleys. regardless it would seem "some" people have had issues they believe came from these pulleys, and at the very least it's a potential risk, but that doesnt change the fact that the vast majority of people using these have not experienced any problems. It may be as simple as inefficient r/s ratios that cause more uneven forces on the crank which in-turn utilizing a damperless pulley that alters the harmonics of the engine, could theoretically cause some issues. at this point though their's just too much speculation as to what caused those engines to fail and not enough hard evidence.

Last edited:
R/S doesn't have as big effect as the stroke itself. Longer stroke mean the the crankshaft isn't as rigid. R/S ratio effects dwell and side-loading more.

I haven't kept up with B-series in a while, but there were quite a few(I want to say 1 out of 10 people) who reported spun bearings and fewer reporting total oil pump failure. This was a couple years ago so I don't know how much people are running them now(combination of those using CTR pulleys and UR/aluminum pulleys). Now there's aftermarket dampers available for B-series.

As far as D-series goes, there are a couple of guys who reported issues just from putting a D15B2/7 crank pulley on their D16's. There was even the infamous D16 1.7l stroke build in a magazine(HT I believe, using D17 crankshaft), that didn't last one run due to them using a shaved D15B2 crank pulley(which already doesn't have the rubber ring).

As stated before, there's almost always torsional vibration in the engines. Running a solid pulley just means it doesn't get dampened...whether something blows or not depends on if that metal can stand up to that vibration. It's like running 300whp on stock rods. It's been done before, and some people have success, while others snapped their rods at only 220whp.

Last edited:
The c5 also uses a heavier crank than the other B-Series motors to help with vibrations/balancing and dampening because of the high revs that the c5 sees. Also, the c5 is hand built and isn't just an 'assembly line' motor like the other b series motors. Using the c5 as an example is a poor one as well, seeing as how stout Honda intended that motor to be...

Back