which block for NA power??

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

thompy.mark

ok so heres my problem...

i have a fully built b16 head (p&p, 300deg/12mm cams, valvetrain work etc) sitting on my garage floor waiting for me to decide which block to put it on. i already have both a b16 and ls block, and can get a b20 block for peanuts too. ideally i'd like something which will perform the daily duties reliably, but still eat up supras and gt-r's (good fun in a car only weighing 650kg!! :D).

any combo with the b17 crank is out of the question as i live in New Zealand and it's rarer than hen's teeth, but other than that anything goes. was thinking about a b16 crank with the appropriate rods and endyn pistons (b20a rods-does anyone make these forged?) in the b20 block for a rev-happy monster.

a lot of questions here i know, have looked all over but cant seem to find any specific answers. any help or pointers in the right direction would be appreciated ;)

Go with a built b20 bottom if you can get it for cheap.

My recommendation is either a LS or GSR bottem end if you can't get the b20.

There are some real CR-VTEC monsters out there, one at my local track that runs 13s all day long.

no daily driven civic on the planet will eat up even a lightly modded supra or gt-r.

i think you need to lower your expectations.

The most N/A horsepower ive heard out of a DD honda is about 250whp.

ok so maby i was getting a little carried away with the supra/gt-r call...

havn't had any first-hand experience with b20 blocks, but have heard heaps about weak cylinder walls etc. will they still reliably handle 200whp?

200whp is cake on a B20. With a "fully built" B16 head you should be able to go significantly higher than that. If your car only weighs 650kg, then you might also be able to whoop up on those cars with good driving and 250whp.

great, thanks for the info guys.

thoughts on crank/rod combos in the b20 block? would a b16 crank/b20a rod work (for good R/S ratio)? or should i be going for the ls or itr crank?hmmm...

B20 block, b20 crank, eagle rods/cp pistons (high compression). ARP and ACL inside. A re-sleeve would be a good idea, for the stock sleeves cant be bored over 84.5mm and they are shit to begin with.

Because B16 crank and rods in a B20 block would just give you really low compression.

I'm confused...after reading here https://hondaswap.com/reference-materials/ls-vtec-cr-vtec-block-crank-head-combos-29130/ i was under the impression that b16 crank/b20a rods would work, along with taking 0.25mm off the block. Are you referring to the fact that the b20b/z pistons are low compression (about 9:1 from memory), because if this was the combo that i used both rods and pistons would be replaced with forged items

I'm confused...after reading here https://hondaswap.com/reference-materials/ls-vtec-cr-vtec-block-crank-head-combos-29130/ i was under the impression that b16 crank/b20a rods would work, along with taking 0.25mm off the block. Are you referring to the fact that the b20b/z pistons are low compression (about 9:1 from memory), because if this was the combo that i used both rods and pistons would be replaced with forged items

That might work- but I don't know the length of the B20A rods. This is what you posted earlier:

Go b20 block for sure. I would say go with the B16 crank and rods.

That's why I was saying that the B16 rods AND crank would be a bad idea. You mentioned it.

For one, you dont want to deck the block that much. Secondly, the B20 crank is the same as an LS crank. B16 cranks will yield a shorter rod stroke, which is something that kills the b20vtec point in the first place..."torque". The longer the rod stroke the more torque you will produce. Putting a b16 crank in would be a down-grade.

Back