Which cams do you have?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

t3t4si

So which aftermarket cams do you guys have? The reason im asking is that i purchased the skunk2 stage1 cams and one day later I floated a valve and bye bye motor. I had a b16 swap. Now I noticed that all the cam guides said that stock valvetrain would be fine with the stage 1s. I even called skunk 2 and they said stock valvetrain would be fine. So I was just curious if you guys have run into any situation like this or if you have those cams in your motor now without any problems?

:werd:

I've heard a couple people running skunk2 stage 1 and 2 say to buy their valvetrain also and not to run their cams on stock valvetrin, they didn't mention as to why though. :shrug2:

i think you mean dual valve springs and ti retainers? ti springs would not be that great.
i've run CTR cams on 3 different head setups, and skunk2 stage1's.
first motor, b16a2 with ITR springs/retainers with CTR cams. i then swapped to skunk2 stage1's on the ITR valvetrain, worked great, revved to 8.5k rpm every day. the skunk2's made a little more HP than the CTR's. later, in another b16a3 i used the CTR cams on stock valve train, was great to 8.2K rpm with no problems. i now have a b18cR with the CTR cams in those, on the stock R valve train. anyways, here are some dynos of my old b16a2 in this older thread. https://hondaswap.com/forums/index.php?...ndpost&p=416348

out of curiosity, what were you revving that motor up to? stock valve train should have been fine.

Originally posted by B16@Oct 12 2004, 05:57 PM
i think you mean dual valve springs and ti retainers? ti springs would not be that great.
i've run CTR cams on 3 different head setups, and skunk2 stage1's.
first motor, b16a2 with ITR springs/retainers with CTR cams. i then swapped to skunk2 stage1's on the ITR valvetrain, worked great, revved to 8.5k rpm every day. the skunk2's made a little more HP than the CTR's. later, in another b16a3 i used the CTR cams on stock valve train, was great to 8.2K rpm with no problems. i now have a b18cR with the CTR cams in those, on the stock R valve train. anyways, here are some dynos of my old b16a2 in this older thread. https://hondaswap.com/forums/index.php?...ndpost&p=416348

out of curiosity, what were you revving that motor up to? stock valve train should have been fine.
[post=401870]Quoted post[/post]​

Yes that is what I meant sorry I worded that wrong.

Well i gotta save up and buy another motor i guess ill just take my time this go around. Ill just buy a seperate head and get it built.

PYR Race cams with skunk 2 titanium dual springs, skunk 2 retainers, and ferrea stainless valves.(B16A2/91 integra)

changing cams when I build my ls/vtec, dont know what to, but I plan on turboing the motor.

I've got a set of skunk2 stage2 cams waiting to go in the motor I will be building, along with skunk2 ti retainers and skunk2 dual valve springs. Will soon be getting some Rocket L20s to go with my pnp'd ls head and multiangle vj for the ls motor that is in the car right now.

i am not running skunk2 cams but i have a set of comp cams and a set of port flow dual valve springs and retainers going in. it was a must with the stage 2 comp cams i got.. but when they go in ill make a copy of the dyno sheet to tell you guy if there good cams...lol :ph34r:

i had the zex stage 2 cams along with the ti retainers and valve springs and loved them. never got to the dyno but they felt like they pulled strong to 9k

shunk 2 stage one are the same ans the b16 auto cams (so you actually downgraded your cams I do blieve)

Originally posted by 97hatch@Oct 16 2004, 08:19 AM
shunk 2 stage one are the same ans the b16 auto cams (so you actually downgraded your cams I do blieve)
[post=403397]Quoted post[/post]​

No, maybe you mean ITR/CTR, but s2s1's have signifigant more lift and duration than stock b16, he didn't downgrade lol

they have even more lift and duration than CTR's. i dont know where people find this other information??

Skunk2 Stage Is here. They make 19 hp and 22 tq over the ITR cams thet were in before(after tuning). I am using Portflow inner/ITR outers and stock retainers and have been revving it to 8.5k for 75k miles no with zero issues.

Originally posted by B16@Oct 18 2004, 03:13 PM
they have even more lift and duration than CTR's. i dont know where people find this other information??
[post=404321]Quoted post[/post]​

out of their ass? :ph34r:

Originally posted by MikeBergy+Oct 19 2004, 10:34 AM-->
@Oct 18 2004, 03:13 PM
they have even more lift and duration than CTR's.  i dont know where people find this other information??
[post=404321]Quoted post[/post]​

out of their ass? :ph34r:
[post=404627]Quoted post[/post]​

That's my guess.

CTRs with stock B16A valve train, just north of 8000 daily, no problems.

Back