Which car would you get?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

My a4 gets crappy mileage 19-21 mpg mixed driving. Stop and go all day and I'll see low 18s.

Mine has a shitload of miles. Let's just put it in the well above 100k range and it runs perfect. It could use some stiffer all-road mounts but that's the only real issue I have with the drivetrain.

On the interior. The HVAC controls are a piece of shit, I need a new one because the LCD keeps blinking instead of staying solid. It doesn't bother me but it's an issue.

I've heard more of people having issues with the suspension rather then the drivetrain. Control arms squeeking requires a whole new control arm...they aren't rebuildable, Audi's lifetime lubrication lasts 50-75k miles. Common problem. 4 control arms per wheel, $90-200 each arm.

The steering rack was also a problem, a lot less common than anything else but it's there.

If it's a 1.8t, certain years also has some oil sludge issues.

Since you're in CA, you're going to be paying a lot more than I did. The EC has Audis for 1-3k less than over there. In canada it's rediculous. They'll pay nearly 10k for a 1996 A4.

V6's...come in stick.

Originally posted by 92civicb18b1@Jul 8 2005, 01:16 PM
My a4 gets crappy mileage 19-21 mpg mixed driving. Stop and go all day and I'll see low 18s.

Mine has a shitload of miles. Let's just put it in the well above 100k range and it runs perfect. It could use some stiffer all-road mounts but that's the only real issue I have with the drivetrain.

On the interior. The HVAC controls are a piece of shit, I need a new one because the LCD keeps blinking instead of staying solid. It doesn't bother me but it's an issue.

I've heard more of people having issues with the suspension rather then the drivetrain. Control arms squeeking requires a whole new control arm...they aren't rebuildable, Audi's lifetime lubrication lasts 50-75k miles. Common problem. 4 control arms per wheel, $90-200 each arm.

The steering rack was also a problem, a lot less common than anything else but it's there.

If it's a 1.8t, certain years also has some oil sludge issues.

Since you're in CA, you're going to be paying a lot more than I did. The EC has Audis for 1-3k less than over there. In canada it's rediculous. They'll pay nearly 10k for a 1996 A4.

V6's...come in stick.
[post=522725]Quoted post[/post]​

yea i checke d the prices and a 97 or 98 A4 with around 70k miles is almost 10k, forget that.

oh and no, the Accords and 3.2 do not come in stick in those years, only in the brand new ones that have the 6 speed

just be careful-- those v6's have a lot more problems than the 4-bangers do... especailly with the tranny

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Jul 8 2005, 01:19 PM
just be careful-- those v6's have a lot more problems than the 4-bangers do... especailly with the tranny
[post=522729]Quoted post[/post]​

yea i looked at the info on that, and it looks like they fixed it for 2002 because it says there arent any major problems reported with that year on the tranny

I meant the A4's come in stick in all years, even the V6's.

But I could have sworn the 98-99 or whatever year it was V6 Accord coupe came in stick. They're nice also, comfy.

like Battle Pope and Civicious, I vote GSR

you can never go wrong with a 2 door or 4 door, I like the 4 door personally

Originally posted by 92civicb18b1@Jul 8 2005, 01:24 PM
I meant the A4's come in stick in all years, even the V6's.

But I could have sworn the 98-99 or whatever year it was V6 Accord coupe came in stick. They're nice also, comfy.
[post=522733]Quoted post[/post]​

oh ok i get ya. have you driven the 2.8? i wouldnt know which one to get, i guess id have to drive both to see.

I have a 5 speed 2.8 quattro.

I drove the 1.8t, it's kinda sluggish, slower than the 2.8 until you chip/upgrade it.

If I wasn't going to mod it, I qould defenitly get the V6. More reliable and slightly cheaper to maintain.

91 Civ hatchie. or CRX HF. Speed ain't shit if ....

a ) your ride gets gripped.
b ) You can't afford to drive it.
c ) You can't afford to insure it.

-> Steve

Originally posted by Celerity@Jul 8 2005, 01:28 PM
91 Civ hatchie. or CRX HF. Speed ain't shit if ....

a ) your ride gets gripped.
b ) You can't afford to drive it.
c ) You can't afford to insure it.

-> Steve
[post=522742]Quoted post[/post]​

true. the good thing is, my mom is selling her house and is buying me te car, and basically gonna pay my rent here in SD and utilities for me to go to school full time and pull good grades. so insurance isnt on me, and the gas is about the only thing i have to worry about, and i am still gonna work, so thats covered.

and dont say any comments about beign spoiled or whatever, cause this is no BS, the first time this shit has happened for me. i worked my ass off for everything i have, and have bought almost all the shit i have myself. i was going to be getting a full time job cause SD is really expensive, but my mom said she'd do this so i dont have to get a full time job.

Hey, respectable parents do all they can to help with education. More power to ya.

But to take advantage and get a big, significant car is just bad logic. Get something that won't give you any problem so that you can return your mother's investment with good grades.

Big, bad cars are a temptation to all us guys. I could, right now go and buy a Porsche 911 C Turbo, or a Lotus, or a BMW 8series. But is it a good idea ? Nope. The Civic gets me farther in life than any awesome car ever did.

-> Steve

Originally posted by Celerity@Jul 8 2005, 02:40 PM
Hey, respectable parents do all they can to help with education. More power to ya.

But to take advantage and get a big, significant car is just bad logic. Get something that won't give you any problem so that you can return your mother's investment with good grades.

Big, bad cars are a temptation to all us guys. I could, right now go and buy a Porsche 911 C Turbo, or a Lotus, or a BMW 8series. But is it a good idea ? Nope. The Civic gets me farther in life than any awesome car ever did.

-> Steve
[post=522797]Quoted post[/post]​

yea but also she wants me to get a decent car,a nd doesnt want me to get a civic or something like that, so its not only me

As I said, GSR sedan. Take off the DOHC VTEC badge and people will never know it's not an LS. Put lojack in that shit so you're covered, and have a nice, reliable, fun daily driver.

make sure you use USAA for insurance...will save you a fortune.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol+Jul 8 2005, 01:04 PM-->
@Jul 8 2005, 02:01 PM
i am looking for a '00 civic si, or an '01 si
[post=522712]Quoted post[/post]​

let me know if you find an 01 si. i'd love to see pics of a car that doesn't exist :p
[post=522718]Quoted post[/post]​

haha, i busted one of my friends on that, we were talking about how cool and rare Mazdaspeed Proteges are, and hes all like "Yeah the Mazdaspeed Protege with the hatch is really rare too"

" :blink: ...... yeah really rare cause it doesnt exist."

i laughed my ass off.

why would you want a new si hatch. besides the K series it's a pos.

well, it would be free for me, i need/want something kinda new, parents wants something dependable, and i dunno, i think it would be kind of fun to have. now, it would be only a daily, prob dropped and intake but thats it. same goes with the '00 si if i get that, or any car i get for that matter. but what year did they come out?? i swear i though it was '01. and how much you think i can get one for? my, well, their budget is 8k-9k, but i'll press for about 10-10.5k for something nice

They released the new Si in '02, and used ones usually go for about 13k.

Back