1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which catalytic converter to use? (obd2 motor, obd1 ecu)

Discussion in 'HYBRID -> EG-EK / DC' started by alex37211, Oct 20, 2008.

1. alex37211

alex37211 New Member

I'm looking at getting a Carsound / Magnaflow cat.

I'm using an obd2 b18c1 (97 GSR) with an obd1 p72 ecu (95 GSR) in a 95 civic.
    My stock 95 civic cat has no O2 sensor in it. A 95 GSR cat has one. A 97 GSR has 2!!

Will I have to use a 1-sensor cat with that ecu to prevent the check engine light from appearing? If so, would I need to wire it into the obd1 p72 ecu?

Also, If I used the sensor-less cat, could I bypass the emissions part of the ecu and avoid a check engine light?
    thnx!
  2. IanB

IanB MB4 X2

OBD1 ecu uses only 1 O2 sensor, the one before the cat in the manifold/header. That's what makes your decision, as that's what decides if you throw CEL's or not.

Use the sensorless cat, if your ecu is OBD1, you wont' throw any CEL's.
  3. monotech

monotech New Member

You need a o2 sensor hooked up regardless when using a stock ecu to prevent a check engine light.
    Some o2 sensors connect on the front of the manifold but GSR headers have them on the top of the collector. If you have a catalytic converter with 2 oxygen sensor openings just plug the bung after the catalytic converter.