Which CRX submodel is the best candidate 4 a swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

favorJDM

I going to purchase a CRX and I plan to swap a GSR, Type R, or B16 (I have not decided) into the rex but which submodel is the best candidate for the swap. Is it the si, dx, or hf.

HF is the lightest- But Si is already wired for multi-point injection- the other two are dual point- and i'm not sure you wanna swap in a type r or even a GSR to be honest- OBD 0 to OBD 2 > you

Originally posted by Slammed90Lude@Jan 28 2004, 08:30 PM
HF is the lightest- But Si is already wired for multi-point injection- the other two are dual point- and i'm not sure you wanna swap in a type r or even a GSR to be honest- OBD 0 to OBD 2 > you

HF is MPFI - DX is only CRX with DPFI

depends on what you want out of it - 88 HF is the lightest and will be the fastest, although it won't be as nice

THE HF IS NOT DUAL POINT, it is MULTIPOINT. The crx dx is the only dual point crx. That does not mean its a bad start, it is not that hard at all to convert to multiport fuel injection. The hubs on the hf will most likely have to be changed out to accomadate larger axles. It is the lightest, but has the least amount of features. The SI has the most features, but it is the heaviest. I can't remember all of the differences, nor do I have time to list them all. Try going to www.crx.org and check out their resource. It should list all of the key differences between the models.
What are the goals for the car? If you are daily driving it, it might pay to get a dx or si with a/c or the si with the sunroof. Just a few things to think about.

sht9.jpg

Originally posted by ludegirl@Jan 28 2004, 11:34 PM
Some HFs have a/c and sunroofs

NO HF has a sunroof unless it's aftermarket.

A/C was a dealer option on ANY honda in those years. If it wasn't on there from the factory, the dealer could order a kit to install it, so it was available on any model.

HF is the lightest, all of them were 5 speeds, and they have the MPFI wiring already done. They are the best candidate for a swap, but need serious attention to brakes and handling since they don't have sway bars, and the brakes are smaller than the other model to help same some weight.

Si is the next best for swaps, IMHO, jsut because its so easy.

DX's are good cars still, but the wiring, and possibility of it being an auto make it not so great in my mind.

DX! DX! DX! i am very convinced that DX is the best CRX model to do a swap with. the Si has more luxery options like the sunroof and stuff that are extra weight that are not needed. and sure the Si has all wheel disk and you wouldnt have to change the injector set up but who cares. if you have any skill you can convert the rear drumbs into disks and convert the injector wirring. think bout it if you had a Si you would mostlikely be upgrading the discs anyway so this Dx is prittymuch betr than the Si. also not to mention the Si weight is 2,100 i believe i might be off by a houndred or sumthin but the Dx is 18,000lbs!! as for the HF no offence to those that have one but they kinda require a lil more work to get it up to par. iv HEARD that they suck to do swaps in because they are lacking so much that is needed. so the DX to me is THE best CRX model to do a swap in. B)

Originally posted by CRseX84@Jan 29 2004, 02:08 PM
HF no offence to those that have one but they kinda require a lil more work to get it up to par. iv HEARD that they suck to do swaps in because they are lacking so much that is needed.

no offense bro but you've HEARD wrong...bottom line, its all up to you, avoid dx because of its dual point wiring issues, and if you want some features go with si, also go with si if you looking for more a a road course car, but if you looking for the model that will put down the 1/4 mile best times, HF is it, the only reason i would avoid hf is if your gonna drive it with the stock motor for a good length of time before the swap...basically its what fits your needs

:werd: :withstupid:

DX = have to add two injectors to the system
HF = have to change out the spindles to take the larger axles

You pick... other than that, the swaps between the DX and HF are pretty much the same. The HF is lighter, but like our grammar challenged brethren has stated, it is missing some stuff. The missing items aren't critical at all though.

Originally posted by Calesta@Jan 30 2004, 02:56 AM
HF = have to change out the spindles to take the larger axles

or use custom axles...personally im a fan of changing out the spindles to 90-91 intergra...it makes life easier...when you need a new axle, go anywhere and get one the the teg...

True. The Integra spindle has the wrong geometry for the Civic suspension though... the DX or Si spindle is the best choice.

anyone who says that the DX should not be used because of its wiring issues should not be attempting to try a swap. converting from DPFI to MPFI is pretty easy and straight forward. Plus with all the resources like this site out there it is hard to phuck it up. My vote is the DX, here is a list why:
No sunroof
Rear windsheild wiper (some people shave them, but I actually use it)
Intermitant windsheild wipers
Light weight, does not have a ton of heavy options
Stylish red bar on hatch
Proper hubs for a b series swap
Better breaks than the HF
Ect. ect. ect.

i go with what ever i can find in the best condition for the cheapest price. my 2cents

-joseph

That works too... around here, you don't really have much of a choice on trim models when you're trying to buy CRXs. They just get sold way too quick.

SiSISISISI....man so what if it's a lil weight..if you build up a 200hp whip who cares if u have a lil extra weight...there all amenities any ways..u'll be happy with them......i Love my sunroof !!! special since when i do teh swpa im not buying the AC bracket...the SUnroof is the best for air....

Just my opinion...... :ph34r:

Wow dead thread resurrection...

Contrary to what you might believe, weight matters a LOT, especially in a car that only has 200whp. 200whp isn't all that much.

True, 200 whp ain't about shit it is however something to start with. Don't let the project overwhelm you, get what ever you want, and then build it up. :blah:

Back