Which engine for future mods??

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

bdogggut34

I'm eventually gonna build an LS/vtec within a year or so. What would be cheaper in the end getting the full LS swap and buying the head or the full B16 SirII swap and buying the block?

i'd wanna go with a b16 tranny, so i'd start with a b16 swap and buy the b18 block, you'll also get the advantage of pre-wired vtec and a computer that can run it (even though you'll need hondata or similar to run the frank motor when it's done)

Post in the correct forum!

:moved: :moved: :moved: :moved: :moved:

The cheapest overall way to build your LS/VTEC is to do it all at once. If you must do it in two stages, I would go with the B18 swap first if you're not planning on building the bottom end, or get the B16 swap if you are planning on building the block. If you want to swap pistons/rods or make any other mods to the bottom, it's obviously easier to swap in the B16 first, then build the B18 bottom on the side and swap it in later. Swapping in the B18 first would allow you to just swap the head later without pulling the whole engine.

You do NOT need a Hondata to run an LS/VTEC engine. You can swap ECUs and run a few extra wires for VTEC later with the B18, or you can control VTEC and your fuel maps with a VAFC or some other piggy-back system.

As for the B16 transmission, most engine resellers will allow you to swap out the B18 transmission for a shorter geared B16 unit if you want. Get the B16 transmission regardless of which engine you buy.

sorry bout the wrong forum, would i be saving any money by doing it all at once?? Also to those who have done this, what kind of expense am i looking at for the swap??

You would be saving money because you wouldn't have to possibly pull the engine and take it apart after you've already had it in your car. If you want to biuld the block, you're going to want to do it outside the car. Either way, you're spending extra time on labor if you build the engine in two stages, and you're also taking the risk of breaking things again when you make the major mods in the second step. If you want to swap first, it's still a good option- just make sure you know what you want do first and have a solid plan set out for yourself before you start.

Originally posted by Calesta@Jul 6 2004, 11:29 AM
You do NOT need a Hondata to run an LS/VTEC engine. You can swap ECUs and run a few extra wires for VTEC later with the B18, or you can control VTEC and your fuel maps with a VAFC or some other piggy-back system.

wouldn't it be cheaper to use a hondata setup?

Not necessarily, with hondata, you have to buy the new vtec ecu anyway, and then pay to have hondata fit it with their electronics, more than the cost of a VAFC.

if i was to build the block up a little bit do you think it would be best just to get an LS block at a junk yard whether it has high miles or not? I figured since its a buildup it wouldnt matter

Originally posted by twisted civic+Jul 6 2004, 01:36 PM-->
@Jul 6 2004, 11:29 AM
You do NOT need a Hondata to run an LS/VTEC engine.  You can swap ECUs and run a few extra wires for VTEC later with the B18, or you can control VTEC and your fuel maps with a VAFC or some other piggy-back system.

wouldn't it be cheaper to use a hondata setup?

Not necessarily, depending on what kind of a deal he can get with a VAFC, which ECUs are available to him, what mods have to made to the ECU depending on which model he gets etc... some people actually just "butt-tune" the car and read spark plugs to check mixture instead of running on a dyno with a wideband- you can't really do that yourself with a Hondata unless you have the dealer kit. I would personally still run Hondata, but that's me. There are tons of other ways to get an LS/VTEC to run properly.

Originally posted by bdogggut34@Jul 6 2004, 03:18 PM
if i was to build the block up a little bit do you think it would be best just to get an LS block at a junk yard whether it has high miles or not? I figured since its a buildup it wouldnt matter

Probably, especially if you're planning on resleeving the block- just about anything will work. Just make sure that your main bearing journals in the block and rod journals on the crank aren't screwed up.

get b16 swap complet ean dthen just get a b18a/b block so you would have everything ready and all you would want to get is Type-r oil pump gsr timgint belt gsr distributor and gsr water pup also to finish ls vtec the golden eagle ls vtec conversion system and your set

Back