Which engine should I get

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jmb1983

I recently bought a 5spd 92 civic ex that is in great shape aside from the d16z6 engine. It seems to have damage from a long running detonation problem. It seems weak and it uses about a quart of oil every 400-500miles. I decided I am going to get a new engine.

My question is should I stick with the D16Z6 or go with a different engine? Would swaping a 'b' series motor be much more expensive (Do I need tranny and computer too?) Also, is there a specific place I should look when purchasing this engine? Also which do you think I should go with between used, recertified or remanufactured engine?

Thanks for all your help!

Last edited:
It all depends on your budget. you can pick up a used dseries for real cheap, whereas a bseries will cost you because you need to change the transmission, ecu, axles, etc.

A good used D16 can be had for pretty cheap. I would just replace it with a fresh one. D series motors are cheaper to repair and they are much cheaper to mod too..

A good used D16 can be had for pretty cheap. I would just replace it with a fresh one. D series motors are cheaper to repair and they are much cheaper to mod too..

Yep it would be cheaper to buy another D, build it for boost, boost it, and have it tuned than it would to swap a B. And a built D-series will smoke a stock B-series all day long.

ya bro im runnin a boosted z6 and all go around any b series aspirated... things will go alott smoother if u stic to the same motor and u can get good power out of a z6 and i find single cams hve more low end pull naturly anyway. doin a b swap aint hard but jus like buddy said u will need axels ecu and trany thats smooth u could have eng mount problems and u need a wiring harness

Yep it would be cheaper to buy another D, build it for boost, boost it, and have it tuned than it would to swap a B. And a built D-series will smoke a stock B-series all day long.

Words of a wise man lol... I think you statement pretty much sums up what i'm in the process of doing to my hatch.

Back