1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which engine should I get

Discussion in 'HYBRID -> EG-EK / DC' started by jmb1983, Aug 4, 2008.

1. jmb1983

jmb1983 New Member

I recently bought a 5spd 92 civic ex that is in great shape aside from the d16z6 engine. It seems to have damage from a long running detonation problem. It seems weak and it uses about a quart of oil every 400-500miles. I decided I am going to get a new engine.

My question is should I stick with the D16Z6 or go with a different engine? Would swaping a 'b' series motor be much more expensive (Do I need tranny and computer too?) Also, is there a specific place I should look when purchasing this engine? Also which do you think I should go with between used, recertified or remanufactured engine?

Thanks for all your help!

Last edited: Aug 4, 2008
  2. driverunknown

driverunknown Senior Member

It all depends on your budget. you can pick up a used dseries for real cheap, whereas a bseries will cost you because you need to change the transmission, ecu, axles, etc.

3. lobo1978

lobo1978 New Member

i have a b18c1 with jackson racing super charger for sale i asking $2300
    call me or email me at 630 254 3740 fmorales@jelsert.com

4. xRONINSxROGUEx

xRONINSxROGUEx New Member

A good used D16 can be had for pretty cheap. I would just replace it with a fresh one. D series motors are cheaper to repair and they are much cheaper to mod too..

5. efhondakid

efhondakid My name is Byron. VIP

Yep it would be cheaper to buy another D, build it for boost, boost it, and have it tuned than it would to swap a B. And a built D-series will smoke a stock B-series all day long.

6. CIVICTRON

CIVICTRON stealthcivic

ya bro im runnin a boosted z6 and all go around any b series aspirated... things will go alott smoother if u stic to the same motor and u can get good power out of a z6 and i find single cams hve more low end pull naturly anyway. doin a b swap aint hard but jus like buddy said u will need axels ecu and trany thats smooth u could have eng mount problems and u need a wiring harness

7. xRONINSxROGUEx

xRONINSxROGUEx New Member

Words of a wise man lol... I think you statement pretty much sums up what i'm in the process of doing to my hatch.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted