which engine?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

tegg_gsr

I have a 92 hatch vx and im lookin in to swappin motors.At first i was gonna swap a gsr in but i dont want to spend all my money just on the engine and trans...etc.so i was wondering how difficult is it to do a ls/vtec or a b20 vtec.and which cost more.me and my step dad are doing all the werk so no labor fees.i will put some type of f/i (havent decided SC or TC yet)so keep that in mind.thanx

but would i be better off getting a h22 with I/H/E ?im not really concered with the understeer.or maybe even a b16a?

oh and when i go to hmo it says that usdm motors have 10 or so hp less how can you tell if your engine(the one that yo buy frm them) is usdm or jdm?

just look at the code on the engne
B16A2 or B16A3 = USDM
B16A = JDM
B18C1 = USDM
B18C = JDM

JDM engines do not have the last number

and i would still recomend the GSR over the B16 or the H22

thanks for the list, clears up some confusion. i figured you would say gsr its just the cost that gets me.thanks again

the GSR:
is boost friendly
it has a great tranny
you can get it with a LSD
the cams in it are great for boost
there are fuck loads of aftermarket parts for it
it has more displacement than the B16
it is an easier swap than the H22
it uses a solid shift linkage (much better feel than the cable linkage the H22 uses)
it wont have the negative effects on handling that the H22 will
no axle issues like you get with the H22

the B16 is a great choice with LOTS of potential... all it really lacks is displacement
but the GSR still gets my vote

Originally posted by E_SolSi@Sep 5 2003, 05:40 PM
B16A2 or B16A3 = USDM
B16A = JDM
B18C1 = USDM
B18C = JDM

what about the B18C5

ls/v-tec's are the best motor u can have i heard...but i heard that the bottom end goes out and runs shitty...but it is bad ass when it is runnin the best

Originally posted by tweakman@Sep 11 2003, 01:18 AM
ls/v-tec's are the best motor u can have i heard...but i heard that the bottom end goes out and runs shitty...but it is bad ass when it is runnin the best

The're ok, its a good set up for drag i guess, i call them 2 year motors just cuz at most if not built absolutely right, last that long if ur lucky. Maybe im wrong, but u cant beat the reliability of a stock b16 or b18. I'd like the gsr motor for a hatch but i settled for the b16a cuz of the loud vtec. Gsr's dont really like to scream, but u get the extra torque and 10hp. I say stick with the gsr or b16 if ur goin to do a swap. Its plenty power for a hatch and easy to maintain and easy to fix if somethings goes wrong.

Originally posted by TwizteD+Sep 10 2003, 06:38 PM-->
@Sep 5 2003, 05:40 PM
B16A2 or B16A3 = USDM
B16A = JDM
B18C1 = USDM
B18C = JDM

what about the B18C5

what about it ?????

USDM = B18C5
JDM = B18C

JDM engines do not have the last number (accept for the VERY rare B16A1 from some special edition JDM CRX)

and just to answer your next question
"how do you know if its a type R or a GSR then?"

look at the code on the head casting
and look at the intake manifold

if money is really an issue but you think you might go turbo or sc some day then go with b18b, it's faster than what you are pulling out and is good for boost. vtec isn't exactly wonder technology, but I do like it a lot

but you can boost a b16 as well and still have vtec and the price is better, you get a better tranny, and if you go jdm you have the lsd option (that is what I did)

edit: changed b16b to b18b

Originally posted by seanjuan@Sep 11 2003, 01:55 PM
if money is really an issue but you think you might go turbo or sc some day then go with b16b, it's faster than what you are pulling out and is good for boost. vtec isn't exactly wonder technology, but I do like it a lot

but you can boost a b16 as well and still have vtec and the price is better, you get a better tranny, and if you go jdm you have the lsd option (that is what I did)

i think you made a type-o

the B16B (CTR) is not exactly "boost friendly"

pretty sure you meant B18B (LS)

Originally posted by E_SolSi+Sep 11 2003, 01:29 PM-->
@Sep 11 2003, 01:55 PM
if money is really an issue but you think you might go turbo or sc some day then go with b16b, it's faster than what you are pulling out and is good for boost. vtec isn't exactly wonder technology, but I do like it a lot

i think you made a type-o

the B16B (CTR) is not exactly "boost friendly"

pretty sure you meant B18B (LS)

oops, you are correct

"I always do that, I forget some inane detail"
michael bolton from 'office space'

sorry about that I might as well have just said that vteck ownz all

if your looking to build a rocket ship get a jdm H22A it has 200HP and 161ftlb of torque what u need for the swap are integra axles out of years from 90-93 and a 93 accord intermediate shaft. then hasport motor mounts. the only bad part is if u lower it u will rip a oil pan off so i suggest integra suspension with type r brakes and any rims of your choosing. and for even better results get a p28 computer and chip it to h22 specs. then u will have a car that will brake into 13's

Back