Which engines spin "right" (no offense!)

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

sowhat

I think this qualifies as a "general tech" question. Most US V8s spin a certain direction - it goes back to when they had hand cranks and which way was easier for a right handed person to start a car.

When the imports came out with transverse mounted FWD motors, there was no "standard" to follow. So most (if not all) imports spun the other direction. This has changed lately on some Hondas.

So if I wanted to mate a VTEC Honda engine to a US transmission/RWD car and only have 1 reverse gear and 4 forward gears, which engines could I use?
(This is an off-road application, custom EFI/ECU, no smog.)
Thanks!

why not just use the f20 motor out of the s2000? or the crx motor. They are rear wheel drive. I've never heard of doing this. May i ask what you plans are?

welcome to the site by the way

Thanks for the two suggestions jlicrx. Taco15 - the F20 spins clockwise also, right? (There are RWD cars out there that spin counterclockwise, so if you hook them up to a "normal" transmission you get 4 reverse gears and 1 drive gear.)

I don't want to use the stock transmission and diff because it's land speed racing. Most stock transmissions and diffs are geared for short distance performance/acceleration.

It's for land speed racing. Here's an example of someone running a VTEC engine in a roadster:
ELM Photos Nov Cars 1, 06
Click on car #203 at the bottom center. Track is 1&1/3rd mile on dirt. Top speed is the goal, using the constraints of your class.

Back