which is better b16 or b18a

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

so ive heard the b18 is not a bad motor but ive also heard the b16 is a good engine. if a stock b16 and b18 went against each other who would win???

there are many types of both engines.

The car that its going into makes a huge difference. You want to stay with your OBD or you're going to have a bitch of a wiring job to hook up the engine.

b16 varients:

b16a SiR 1 -160hp/111tq (OBD 0) -VTEC
b16a SiR 2 -170hp/113tq (OBD 1) -VTEC
b16b - 185hp/117tq (OBD ? -not 0) -VTEC

b18 varients:

b18b LS -145hp/127tq (OBD 1) -Non-VTEC
b18c1 GSR -180hp/126tq (OBD 1 & 2 -I think, could be wrong-not 0) -VTEC
b18c5 Type R -200hp/134tq (OBD 2 -I think, could be wrong-not 0) -VTEC

Obviously the one with the most hp and tq will be faster.

--I personally say go b16a SiR1 if your car is OBD 0 because its easy (supposedly) and has almost perfectly square geometry (same bore and stroke, makes a very reliable engine). It is also the cheapest option. (~$3000 if you do the swap yourself for EVERYTHING) Its downfall is its smaller displacement causing it to make less torque. Its a good starting place, you could always drop in a bigger bottom end if the 111 ft*lbs of torque is getting you down.

also a nice combination is the ls/vtec , something you should look into , the ls bottomend with a vtec head

Originally posted by ktanaka@Feb 4 2004, 03:54 PM

Obviously the one with the most hp and tq will be faster.

not necessarily, you have to take power/weight ratio into account.

for example,

I've been beaten by a single cam vtec eg coupe before my turbo kit was installed. the eg was gutted and had basic bolt ons, intake, header and exhaust. he was also on cheater slicks. he beat my friend's gsr a while back too.

so it's not always the car with the most hp and tq that wins.

no shit shirlock, but hes only putting ONE engine in ONE car, so the one with the most hp/tq in the same car will be faster. I figured that went without saying (common sense) but i guess not...

Originally posted by JDMilan@Feb 4 2004, 11:12 PM
I say the b16, by a hair.

i also say a b16, but by a grundle hair

if u want to boost it,,than maybe consider the b18

Stock vs. Stock

It kinda depends on which car you put it in.

Civic chassis id say the B16A would be faster, plus its geared better.

In an Integra chassis the B18 would make things really close, since the car's heavier and needs more torque to get it moving.

:EDIT: I read youre profile, and 4th Gen hatches around here with slightly modded B16s run mid-low 14's, and the modded B18s get mid-low 15's.

Originally posted by ktanaka@Feb 4 2004, 05:16 PM
no shit shirlock, but hes only putting ONE engine in ONE car, so the one with the most hp/tq in the same car will be faster. I figured that went without saying (common sense) but i guess not...

then be more specific next time, don't post a half assed response and assume all people will know everything you neglected to mention like power to weight ratios. he is here to learn so fill him in.

Back