Which jacket for which weather?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Seany-izzle

Riding in mostly 50-90 degree weather, an average of about 70-75. Pretty much May-ish through Sept. Summers do get humid, its definately NOT dry up here at all.

So what do you suggest? Mesh (looks like a football jersey), textile, or leather? Im uncertain as to the thickness, weight, and breathability of each different kind.

What do you guys wear and in what conditions?

Thanks! ^_^

mesh = crap
textile = less weight and a little easier to deal with on the hot days
leather = more weight, more protection in a slide, a little more insulation on the cold days

i would start off with a textile one because you will be more likely to wear it
if you find the need you can get a leather one down the road
no sense getting leather and never wearing it because "its too hot" (wah!)

All leather, all the time. IT's the helmet that gets me. The half helmet is best for the summer, but leaves the chin right out there to get personal with any pavement. The full face is appropriate for the drop, but man.. the heat.

i'm buying leather today with a liner in it.

i'll take it out when it gets hot. and deal with sacrificing for safety.

Get a good all-season riding jacket. They have vents to keep you cool, or liners to keep you warm. Leather ftw.

Ok, the vents dont really keep you cool, but it beats wearing a traditional leather jacket.

Mesh (looks like a football jersey), textile, or leather? Im uncertain as to the thickness, weight, and breathability of each different kind.

Are you kidding me? That a joke?

Textile is the best. Mesh well doesn't do shit in a crash.

I have a Icon Nylon TiMax 2 Jacket that I love to death. Has the removable liner, and is an all around awesome jacket.

Leather motorcycle grade jackets (Super thick) are only minimal protection. A real "Armor" type of jacket provides significantly more protection in a lighterweight package.

my roommate just wrecked friday night and was wearing a leather alpinestar. it pretty much saved him from losing all of his skin on his back and kept his arm from being destroyed.

After seeing how leather saved him, i wont even consider anything else.

That same day before he wrecked, I actually bought a leather Dainese. Sickest coat on the market.

It's leather, with armor inserts ? Because I wear a thick leather, and it's nice for rashing, but doesn't do much for the impact.

I have a pair of chaps too, but I'm concerned about what it will protect, exactly. I think a pair of the (armored riding) pants is going to be the norm for this bike.

I have 3 different jackets.

a heavy jacket with in removable liner, it's good for 60o and below, I have a normal leather riding jacket I like wearing that from 60-75o and a mesh padded jacket I wear in the summer.

I've read time and time again that the mesh jackets have done pretty good during crashes, however when I say crashes I'm talking about normal speedlimit crashes. no doubt if you fall off at 90mph in a mesh jacket it's just going to fall apart.

My fav jacket to wear is my normal leather riding jacket, it has no pads but fits me like a glove.

No pads at all. Not even elbows? or shoulders?

I also have a Alpinestar Ice Leather Jacket. Great jacket, and came with the bike for a nice 150, and was worth the price.

I recently picked up some summer riding gloves, icon super duty's and I'm seriously wondering if they're worth the little bit I paid. I might just stick to buying a set of alpine star sp-1's or icon timax'.

my roommate just wrecked friday night and was wearing a leather alpinestar. it pretty much saved him from losing all of his skin on his back and kept his arm from being destroyed.

That same day before he wrecked, I actually bought a leather Dainese. Sickest coat on the market.

Which jacket and what were the circumstances of the wreck?

A friend of the guy I bought my bike from wrecked at 100mph, in all icon gear including double kneed jeans, boots, etc. skid for ever and walked away. I'm not a fan of the icon stuff besides jackets and gloves, but I was impressed I guess.

I'm saving for a full suit w/ sliders, but that's for track days mostly.

After seeing people post on forums about how their non leather jackets have saved them I wouldn't limit myself to just buying leather. Even more so if you're on a budget, I'd rather have $200.00 nice non leather jacket then a $200.00 cheap leather jacket made from not the best as with not the thickest leather.

My normal leather jacket has zero pads, I don't wear a jacket for padding, I wear it for protecting my skin,

The main difference when someone goes down wearing nothing and some body wearing a lot of gear is how much road rash they get, they still break bones or lose limbs with or with out padding.

Don't get me wrong, people who wear back braces and other forms of support that are solid can help with crashes, but simple shoulder and elbow pads IMO wont do jack other then maybe just maybe make you a tad bet less sore the next day. if even that.

eh, i guess it's just personal choice then. i know for a fact that the elbow pad saved his left arm. i'll try to get pictures up when i can.

eh, i guess it's just personal choice then. i know for a fact that the elbow pad saved his left arm. i'll try to get pictures up when i can.

Guy from another forum had full race boots and leather pants on with knee pads,

didnt save his leg..... he slide into a solid item. and POP off it went.

If the bike hasn't been done 3500 sounds like a pretty good deal.
Too bad I hate the looks of the F4. single headlight and banana seat FTL =(

As far as the jackets go, the best jacket is the one that fits you the best.
I found a wide range of sizes from one company to the next.

Go window shopping at the largest bike store in your area .

it hasnt been layed down, no body damage. It'd get a new rear tire, plugs, air filter, fluids too upon purchase. I like the bigger seat. It adds some girth to the rear end and i think itll help the bike not look too small under my fat 6 foot 220lb ass :p

it hasnt been layed down, no body damage. It'd get a new rear tire, plugs, air filter, fluids too upon purchase. I like the bigger seat. It adds some girth to the rear end and i think itll help the bike not look too small under my fat 6 foot 220lb ass :p

People need to get over the whole (look small) thing, I see this from one board to the next.

a 2006 1000cc bike is the same size and lighter then the F4. unless you get a blackbird. busa, or ZX12/14R the bikes will all look small. its fine, its normal.

If it was my bike I'd do an F4i conversion, you can put the newer body work on the older F4, I'm not sure how hard it is to do but I've seen a few people do it.

www.cbrworld.net do a search over there.

Makes the bike look much better IMO.

Back