which motor

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

h0nda0wner

need help
im deciding which motor i wanna put in my civic...... i have a choice of a b-series or a gsr motor....any suggestion on wut motor i shud get????????????? cuz i wanna boost my car..........:ph34r:

oh..... ok.......... didnt noe that....... i thought the b16, 18 was different fr. the gsr....... but yah, what engine wud b better for a boost motor???????

That depends. Do you want to build the motor at all, or just boost it in stock form? If you're going to build it, then it doesn't really matter. If you want to boost on a stock motor, I'd probably go with an LS (B18B).

And yeah, the B16, the B18B (LS) and the B18C (GS-R and Type R) are all part of the B-series family.

The B18B will give you a smoother install on the older Civics / CRXs. But the upgrade to GSR will only be a few hours more of work.

With such a lightweight car, you'll never see that extra 15 or so hp. It's simply too much. a B18B in a CRX without the turbo is so angry, so burn-out happy that you can't even drive it in a bad mood (You'll kiss the first pole)

Engine Swap to my 1998 Civic Hatchback SiR

I think you're confused. A GS-R engine is part of the B-series.

What would you suggest? Which motor would be the best to place in a JDM Civic SiR? I got access to the B18C-R motor, but would be able to build power with out having to resort to racing fuel? Then there is the K20, I know the more liters you have the more power you can build, but I'm also looking at the power to weight ratio, don't want horses that will slip and fall at the starting line. I know Honda is famous for the spinning off the line ^_^ but I want to be able to get up and move with out losign traction. What are your thoughts on this?

The B18B will give you a smoother install on the older Civics / CRXs. But the upgrade to GSR will only be a few hours more of work.

With such a lightweight car, you'll never see that extra 15 or so hp. It's simply too much. a B18B in a CRX without the turbo is so angry, so burn-out happy that you can't even drive it in a bad mood (You'll kiss the first pole)

+1 the b18b will be more than enough for a car as light as ours. boosted versions will easily surpass the cars horsepower limit for street duty. the money you would spend on the b18c, plus the time to futz with extra wiring is overkill. spend that extra money on suspension to hold up the heavier engine, brakes, and tires. sticky ones. :D

kintaro: this section is for 84-87 civics and crxs. you'll find more answers to your question in the ek section. i notice that your civic is for racing. the answer depends on what kind of racing you're doing.

scott

Last edited:
What would you suggest? Which motor would be the best to place in a JDM Civic SiR? I got access to the B18C-R motor, but would be able to build power with out having to resort to racing fuel? Then there is the K20, I know the more liters you have the more power you can build, but I'm also looking at the power to weight ratio, don't want horses that will slip and fall at the starting line. I know Honda is famous for the spinning off the line ^_^ but I want to be able to get up and move with out losign traction. What are your thoughts on this?

Once again, your motor choice is dependent on your goals with the car. Is it a daily driver? Weekend car? Track whore? Answer that and then we can help you better.

Just some general info...the B18C will be an easier swap than the K20. The K-Series is difficult and expensive into anything other than a car that's already equipped with some form of K-series motor.

As far as the traction thing goes, yes, it is an issue, but it can be compensated for through a variety of means...good suspension, tires, traction bars, LSD, etc. Slowing your car down to help with traction issues really isn't the answer, in my opinion anyway...

Back