which motor???

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

eg6sir

Supa Mod
VIP
i was wondering how i can tell which JDM motor i have...i was told it was a SiRII b16 from the EG....i was wondering if there is a way to tell if its a SiR b16 from the CRX??? Any numbers to look for.???

Quoted post[/post]]
i was wondering how i can tell which JDM motor i have...i was told it was a SiRII b16 from the EG....i was wondering if there is a way to tell if its a SiR b16 from the CRX??? Any numbers to look for.???

Same head, same block..

But the compression ratio is different. You can't really visually check that.

Stolen from SuperHonda, which was stolen from here, lol... Pissedoffsol wrote this: Unless he stole it from somewhere else.

A2/A3/SiR II have a single- 4-wire O2 sensor instead of 2-single wire O2 sensors
A2/A3/SiR II MAP sensor is an integral part of the throttle body, not an external one with a tube.
A2/A3/SiR II harnesses are grey. SiR has cream colored ones
SiR is PGM-F1, clearly labeled on the intake manifold, andA2/A3/SiR II are MPFI
SiR valve covers have "DOHC" written in a larger font size than "VTEC"
A2/A3/SiR II valve covers have "VTEC" written in a larger font size than "DOHC"

88-91 B16A's are known as the SIR 1. It uses OBD0 Ecu's, and cable tranny's.
92+ B16A's are known as the SIR 2. It uses OBD1 or OBD2(2b), and hydraulic trannys.

well my VTEC is larger than the DOHC so i do have a SiRII.....another question..i was told it had CTR cams also...would these make VTEC louder? if so i have those too

no i was just curious, because when my vtec hits, its really loud...and i have ctr cams....so i was wondering if that would be the reason...???

Do not judge a motor by the valve cover. It's too easy to swap out for another one. Look at the date on the head. Done.

lol, b series isnt my specialty, but i finally looked at this thread...yeah...the date on the head is the definitive way to tell what motor it is.

i went and looked at my head and its said 92 so which one would that be...sir or sir2 ... it seems like its kinda border line years so its hard for me to tell

Hm...I have a SIRII and my map sensor is not part of the TB, but plugged into the firewall instead

I have a 95 sirII tb and the map sensor IS part of the throttle body. How could something that reads vacuum/pressure be mounted to the firewall? Maybe you dont know how to identify a Map sensor?

Quoted post[/post]]
I have a 95 sirII tb and the map sensor IS part of the throttle body. How could something that reads vacuum/pressure be mounted to the firewall? Maybe you dont know how to identify a Map sensor?
Maybe he's right and you should research before speaking.
obd0 b16's have the map on the firewall with a vacuum line going to the throttle body.
Same thing as obd0 cars, on the firewall, as you use the stock map sensor for a swap.
:owned:

yeah...most chevys until 96 have the MAP on the firewall...we forgot to plug it in on the caprice last time...took us forever to figure out why it was running like shit

i believe 92 civics (some) had the map sensor on the firewall, and some del sols have them, I ordered my B16A SIRII from Hmotors with LSD and it was wierd because I didn't have my map sensor on the firewall on the original engine, it was on the TB, and when I swapped the engine out, there was none, I had to look around and found out that some dont have it, needed a firewall one (I never heard of it before) until I read some threads, went to ebay, found the del sol map sensor (YES I do know what a map sensor is, it even says MAP SENSOR on it), installed it, CEL went away

I don't think any American model B16A2/3's had them on the firewall. BEsides the point anyway. Mine is on the firewall, but it is European.

And a quick class: SiR and SiRII are trim models like DX, Si, etc...availible from 89-98 in Japan. Yes, I know it's generally understood that people use it to distiguish generations, but they are wrong.

Back