which paint for engine bay?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

get_nick

These snozzberries taste like snozzberries...
VIP
so i just picked up the new project car (92 vx) and it is already primered. the outside is grey with the jambs and engine bay being turquoise. I'm swapping in a gsr in a couple weeks and i want to paint the engine bay. any suggestions for the whole process on how i should do it or what paints to do? pics of the can of paint would help to.

paint it how? rattle can primer like the rest of the car? if so...

degrease the engine bay, scuff it with 400 grit sand paper, clean it, spray it.

Please don't cheap out and use Krylon!!

Sand everything as stated above and then wipe it all down with wax&grease remover. Spray it with whatever primer you like. Wet sand that with 6 or 800 grit.

Use a PPG base coat/clear coat system. It'll spray nicely over wet sanded primer. Just start out light from a distance and mist a layer on. Then build up from there. Hopefully by the time you're done with the color, you'll be familiar with the spray gun. Then apply 2-3 coats of clear.

It'll look a million times better with some good paint and a clear coat layer.

the outside of the car is going to get painted. i was just thinking about painting the engine bay black or whatever while the motor is out. the turquoise is ugly and will look horrible with a blue or black exterior car.

Back