which resistance is better?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

YouKnowWhoIBee

my avatar is better.
I have an alpine type-r sub 1242D, it is a dual voice coil 4ohm subwoofer. My amp is 400x1@ 4ohm and 600X1@ 2ohm. Whould it be best to run my 4 ohm sub with 4ohm wiring? Or get the most bang for my buck running 2ohm. My sub RMS is 500.

the values you are speaking of are not actually resistance measurements. It is actually the impeadance of the speaker since it is technically in an AC circuit. When you say run 2 or 4 ohm wiring. Are you referring to putting the dual coil in parallel which will effectively run the sub at 2 ohms mono or having two amps for each coil of the sub on different channels ??? the speaker wire does not come in a 2 ohm version or a 4 ohm version it's the load presented to the amp is dependent upon the way the dual coils are wired.

It looks like this sub is only good for
RMS Power Handling: 500 Watts
Peak Power Handling: 1500 Watts

If the specs on your amp are RMS values 400x1@4Ohm, and 600x1@2ohm
then the peak output at 400x1 = 565Watts, and 600x1 = 848Watts

either configuration should be safe in your case.

Yes parallel the voice coil and run it in 2ohm, unless you plan on running 2 subs then parallel the the 2 subs to see 2 ohm.

If both voice coils are 4 ohms each, the only choices you have presenting a mono setup to the amp are to run an 8 ohm impedance or 2 ohm. I would run the 2 ohm setup- your sub ought to be able to handle 20% extra, and it's always better to have more power with a clean signal than too little power and distortion.

My box is manufactured by alpine for a DVC sub.

06-29-07_1915.jpg

If i were to power the bottom row of terminals, the metal strips provide power to the upper, presumably making it a 4 ohm wiring.

Back