Which shifter?

Skunk2 vs B&M

• Dual bend B&M short shifter &#036

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

projectxspeed

If anyone can recommend a good third option I am open to suggestion. Also while I am doing my short shift should I replace my shift bushing with a ES one?

I didn't pick one.
What's the deal with short shifters anyway? Id it true that they mess up something in the transmission such as the synchros?

yes short shifters generally are a bad idea
they almost always put the shift knob further from the wheel (not a good thing)
and the shortened throw makes you jam through the gears faster without letting the gears line up properly.. this puts added stress on the synchros, shortening their life

theres a very good artcle about this here

explains the actual functionality (or lack there of) of shifters

Originally posted by E_SolSi@Jun 20 2004, 07:45 PM
theres a very good artcle about this here

explains the actual functionality (or lack there of) of shifters

<rant>I'm going to disagree, and I hate that ad (which is all it is, another company giving reasons to buy their shit) because other than the placement of hte knob being closer (good) there isn't any facts to back it up that it damages the tranny, as a matter of fact, I can dig up a thousand people that have no problems with them ever. I have driven short shifter that didn't lower the knob (that's not the point of a short shifter anyway) they just shortened the throw (the point) and ones that did both. Vibration was the same, I have a OEM ITR shifter and it vibrates, so their arguement there is for shit.

Basically the opponents of the short shifter site that it messes up syncros, no, it doesn't the driver does by slamming it into gear, whether you have a short shifter or a long rally looking one like theirs, the distance traveled inside the tranny by the forks/gears/syncos/ whatever are the same. The driver needs to adjust thier input, based on the new folcrum point.</rant>

point taken ... but generally people get the short shifter because they think that they are not shifting fast enough

the shifter in and of itself will not harm the synchros .... it just makes it easier for it to happen, due to people slamming through the gears way too quickly (this is where the damage to the synchros happens) they often put entirely too much force on the shifter as well (this is where people snap the shifter)

people who still shift correctly will not have any problems

im running a shifter on the sol and i love it
i have the skunk2 shifter .... it actually retained the same throw as the stock shifter but it raised the knob about 2.5" making it closer to the wheel ... i love it

so ill adjust my arguement to state that improper shifting practices harm transmissions not the shifter itself.... but i still retain that the shifter makes it easier to fuck up the tranny... and the further the shift knob is from the wheel the less functional it is

Originally posted by E_SolSi@Jun 20 2004, 09:20 PM
point taken ... but generally people get the short shifter because they think that they are not shifting fast enough

the shifter in and of itself will not harm the synchros .... it just makes it easier for it to happen, due to people slamming through the gears way too quickly (this is where the damage to the synchros happens) they often put entirely too much force on the shifter as well (this is where people snap the shifter)

people who still shift correctly will not have any problems

im running a shifter on the sol and i love it
i have the skunk2 shifter .... it actually retained the same throw as the stock shifter but it raised the knob about 2.5" making it closer to the wheel ... i love it

so ill adjust my arguement to state that improper shifting practices harm transmissions not the shifter itself.... but i still retain that the shifter makes it easier to fuck up the tranny... and the further the shift knob is from the wheel the less functional it is

Yip, you can't help that morons think the harder you slam it into gear, the faster you go.

So which one is the most functional aftermarket shifter on the market? One which will have a shorter throw, and not actually be short.

id go with skunk2 over any of the others that i have seen out there

Hey man,
You should check out the new Edelbrock short shifter, I just picked it up and it kills anything else I have tried......
I did a review on the installation and performance of this product last week, here is the link.

Edelbrock shifter review

And I would have to agree with E a tad more on this arguement........
My POS E-bay short shifter was a huge part of blowing my third gear synchro. I dont shift hard AT ALL. I think that some designs of shifters (eg. ebay shifters), will actually force the shift rod further into gear than it has to be, therefore jamming it into gear on what would seem like a normal soft shift. But the driver can only make that worse, ........and whomever installs it. When I got my car the shifter was installed backwards. Tell me that did nothing......... :roll:

but anyways, check the Edelbrock unit.....it's killer and pretty cheap. Try to get the knob with it, I think thats a big part of how good it feels.

$110 for a short shifter FUCK THAT. It is not woth it you can find so many others that are just as good for $25 - $50.

Originally posted by adnoh@Jun 21 2004, 01:18 PM
I think that some designs of shifters (eg. ebay shifters)

you cant label everything as an EBAY brand, ebay is simply where you buy somthing... APC TYC shit like that is from ebay and yes it is cheap... ebay does not make anything of its own.

Originally posted by adnoh@Jun 21 2004, 07:18 PM
I think that some designs of shifters (eg. ebay shifters), will actually force the shift rod further into gear than it has to be, therefore jamming it into gear on what would seem like a normal soft shift.

Um, no, it is 110% driver malfunction, period. Once it is in gear, it is in gear, there is no need to push it any further, the shifter isn't making the driver push it any further, so it is the drivers fault. Doesn't matter if you throw is and or a mile (haha) in gear is in gear. All a short shifter does is change the folcrum point on a stick.

Originally posted by 92b16vx+Jun 21 2004, 05:29 PM-->
@Jun 21 2004, 07:18 PM
I think that some designs of shifters (eg. ebay shifters), will actually force the shift rod further into gear than it has to be, therefore jamming it into gear on what would seem like a normal soft shift.

Um, no, it is 110% driver malfunction, period. Once it is in gear, it is in gear, there is no need to push it any further, the shifter isn't making the driver push it any further, so it is the drivers fault. Doesn't matter if you throw is and or a mile (haha) in gear is in gear. All a short shifter does is change the folcrum point on a stick.

Yes I agree it is driver error, but you have to think......... If your used to the stock shifter that travels a certain distance to go into gear and then swap to a shifter that takes half that distance to go into gear, most would tend to put that amount of force into the shift to make it travel what would seem like the stock distance....hence Jamming into gear when it is not necessary (when shifting hard). And it's not any fault of the synchros either......I read somewhere on this site that stated that the B-series synchro's tend to go quickly, which is not the case at all. It's not B-series tranny's, it's B-series drivers that do the damage. One wrong or missed shift and no matter what you have in there....there goes your synchro. If you have a shifter that is not performing the task almost exactly the way it was designed from the factory, then shit goes wrong. Just because an APC or (cheap shifter from e-bay [meaning APC or some other generic no name shifter] that just fits, doesn't mean it works. Yes it will shift, but when you use aftermarket parts as we all know you run the risk of fucking with stock specifications. I dont know about you guys, but I would rather have a shifter that was made from a company that does testing on their products for specific applications, than a shifter that was just designed to fit and look good. So IMO for the person who asked which shifter to buy, I'd say go with the Edelbrock, Skunk2, or DC.
And as E said, the shifter won't hurt the synchro's themselves, but some will make it easier to do so than others.

My skunk2 dual bend cleaned up the gearbox, you actually know where the gears are now. It made my EF shift like it should. :thumbsup:

Bought a Skunk2 SS, took out my OEM one...put my oem back in, it was shorter, and felt better/stronger. Waste of money IMO I'll take Honda research over Skunk2 anyday.

Originally posted by adnoh@Jun 21 2004, 10:19 PM
..... or DC.

DC = CRAP

they make an OK at best entry level header and thats about it .... everything else i have seen from them is a cheap non-functional 110% bling POS

fuck DC

Back