Which Springs?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

wannaBgroupB

So here's my issue....

I've got an '88 CRX HF with a ragged out suspension. After being an extremely patient bargain hunter, I've managed to come up with some used Koni Yellows. Now I need to replace my springs, and that's where I need some help.

The Konis aren't all from the same place. The front pair is for a DC Integra (I'm using EG civic shock forks to mount these). The rear pair, is for an Integra Type R (which should mount straight to my '88 LCAs). What kind of springs do I need?

This is for a daily driver, by the way. I don't mind stiff, but I don't want race-car stiff. A small drop would be nice, but I don't want anything extreme.

I know that either EF/DA or EG/DC springs should fit, but how about EK springs?

If I use EG springs that advertise a mild drop, will I end up with no drop, or even a raise when I mount them on my 1850 lbs. car? Or if I use EG springs that are supposed to give a more radical drop, will I get the desired mild drop....but then too-heavy spring rates? Should I just stick with EF springs?

Can I swap the front and rear springs, if I want to change the suspension balance?

Does anyone have experience with this sort of hybrid suspension setup? Does anybody know what the front and rear spring rates are on Eibach Pro-Kit, Sportline, H&R, etc? Any recommendations?

Dang, that's a long list of questions. I'd love to hear from everybody with an opinion on this one. Thanks in advance.

Is that because EG/DC springs will match the shock valving better? Will they overspring my lighter EF car though?

Are the H&R and Neuspeed sport the same spring?

That's awesome that you "Know Your Enemy", btw.

Thanks for replying!

Anybody else?

I'm leaning towards Blanco's recommendation since nobody's suggesting anything different.

Common guys....car folk are nothing if not opinionated.

haha, i went with ground control coil overs. The springs are made by eibach, i think i spelled that right, with some tokico illumnias and i love them. decently stiff but not race car stiff. but yes i do believe they eg/dc shocks are shorter than the EF. if you want something thats adjustable, go with some reputable coil overs, GC, skunk. . . i heard s2 is made in tawian. this way you can adjust ur ride height.

u wanted some more options, there u go, just dont get some ebay coils. . . those are rather shitty

My budget's too tight for coilovers. The only reason I got the Konis and not something cheaper was because I stumbled across a great deal. Still, I appreciate the feedback.

What about springs made for an EK? Do they just not fit at all?

Once again, budget.

I'm not planning on buying new retail springs. Looking at lightly used and wholesale priced overstock stuff, a few things on ebay....therefore, I want to know the full breadth of my options.

For example: if an incredible deal pops up on a set of springs designed for an EK civic, I want to know if that's an option that I could use for my setup....and what compromises I'd be making if I took that option.

If money weren't an issue, I'd do like crazyAzn suggested and go get some GC coilovers with Eibach ERS springs in individually chosen rates to match my application.

coils arent that expensive, and they cater to your needs. . . but yes, you are making this harder than it should be

Wow, this is a first. Someone on a car enthusiast technical forum advising me not to ask the forum....silly me, I thought that's what it was here for!

The companies each advocate their own product, naturally. They also advocate using the part numbers made for each individual application. I figured it would be better to hear from the folks who had actually tried using the stuff and had no agenda, and who may have learned from experience that Part X will work just as well, or even better, on Car Y. Hell, part swapping is what this whole friggin forum is supposed to be about!

As for the $400 you spent on H&Rs and GR2s....I'm specifically trying to avoid that solution. The setup I'm putting together is gonna run me $300, and be based around Koni Sport dampers....a decided upgrade from the KYBs....but I wouldn't be able to do it without a little creative part swapping. Didn't think I was blazing a trail here.

If it seems I've adopted an attitude, I'd ask you to excuse me. It's just that I've been a member of half a dozen other forums devoted to several makes and models of cars and motorcycles, and never have I been advised as I have in this thread....to just stop asking questions and take the simple, obvious, and expensive way out.

Hell, where are all the closet engineers who pop in to tell me how to fabricate my own custom rotary dampers with inboard spring assemblies and other crazy stuff ("see what you do is...")? Guess they don't drive hondas...

Im with blanco on this one....i am pretty new to this site and i asked some pretty noobish questions about my swap when i first started posting about it, and i was also told to stop asking questions and do some research myself but i never got an attitude about it. i nutted up and did some extensive research of my own..yes this may be a technical forum but if you think about it noone really owes you anything^_^ ...and then when someone tells you to stop asking for all the answers and actually LOOK for some on your own you get all butthurt and pissy. Sure people are here to help you out so dont get me wrong, but i probably wouldent take it for granted if i were you...like i said before noone owes you anything.

just my .02

Last edited:
The neuspeeds are bouncy.

I have a set of brand new Ground control / Eibachs I'll part with for $300. New in the box, with instructions.

woah, somethings wrong with this guy. . . but im all honest. . . he made somethign so simple turn into something rather complicated. . . springs match struts, which match the car. . . but yes, most people do the smart thing and just buy the parts designed for your car. I dont know about you, but i have no where near the RnD power of lets say eibach, H&R, or any of those companies. . . so i personally would trust them over some mix match parts from the internet.

then again thats just me. . . but something to think about. . . isnt the entire consumer world based upon product loyalty? loyalty comes from quality, support, RnD, as well as consumer satisfaction. . . these "expensive" companies wouldn't be around if, we, the consumer chose not to buy there products. . . If there products weren't to standard, they didnt meet expectations, no one would buy them, and thus the company would fail.

Back