which swao to go with

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

yeah I would say stick with your d-series and boost that d-series motors also respond well to boost. granted it would be way easier to make well over 250 hp on a b-series motor but 250 is very attainable on a d-series with stock internals. but you could use the money for the swap to build the internals on the motor you have now, and boost it at like 15 psi which would be very safe on forged internals. plus you would be pushing good power.

yeh man.. i'lll look into b16's and see what i can get them for. my buddy gets really good prices on motors and stuff. i think 2900 for a complete GSR swap with LSD tranny is a very good price

yeh i will also think about keeping the d-series but like i said its got 220 000 kms on it and its going to be coming out anyways so i can paint the engine bay

hey 93civicracer , i yust bought another car a 95 civic hatchback, it came with a d16y7 engine and skunk2 intake manifold, can it hold 250 whp if i trow a turbo on it,,, or a was thinkin NOs, its cheaper,, or like what do you recomend for that engine, i thinkin to use that car for the 1/8 mile, sow fast responce its what i like and i seen some d series that always jump firt;s and i like that, sow men what do you recommen for a d series, like that?

long live the sohc. lol

:fosho3:

B18C GSR swap: $2900 plus shipping ($200 avg.)
Turbo kit: $3,000
Tuning software, chip, and time at the dyno: $1,000 on the cheap
Total: $7100 (est.)
Power capability: 300hp limit on stock internals (roughly)

D15B Vtec swap: $1,049
Vitara pistons/Eagle rods: $<1,000
Home made turbo kit: $1,000
Tuning etc.: $1,000 on the cheap
Total: $4,049 (est.)
Power capability: 400WHP+

If you were to say...build the GSR motor, that'd be close to $2,000 for pistons/rods I think. And you could even still take out the money from the d15b vtec total for the pistons/rods, and still be able to meet your goal for less money :).

Of course, the D-series can't see numbers like 600+, but it's got some good potential. But it can very easily meet your goal for a lot less money. And there's shortcuts you can take like piecing your own turbo kit together as I did in the estimate above. But I figure you'd buy a kit if you're going to spend the money on the B18C GSR.

These are arbitrary of course, but that's about what it would come out to.

hey 93civicracer , i yust bought another car a 95 civic hatchback, it came with a d16y7 engine and skunk2 intake manifold, can it hold 250 whp if i trow a turbo on it,,, or a was thinkin NOs, its cheaper,, or like what do you recomend for that engine, i thinkin to use that car for the 1/8 mile, sow fast responce its what i like and i seen some d series that always jump firt;s and i like that, sow men what do you recommen for a d series, like that?

I recommend you do a lot of research before you do anything to your motor. This guy I'm helping right now already knows what he wants he's not just asking for ideas.

And start your own thread, don't steal this one.

thanks man.. i'll take some time to think about it. i also want a reliable ride. i dont think pushing 400 whp out of the D series would be the most reliable. i will be very happy with reliable 250-300 whp.

thanks man.. i'll take some time to think about it. i also want a reliable ride. i dont think pushing 400 whp out of the D series would be the most reliable. i will be very happy with reliable 250-300 whp.

I haven't turbocharged my Civic yet, but from what I've gathered, most turbo-Hondas have some kind of reliability issue. Oil leaks from the feed/return lines to the turbo are most common. Some people open the hood every time before they drive it.

A turbo set-up is a turbo set-up, 250whp is attainable on either motor on stock internals, and a turbo set-up can always be reliable depending on the quality of parts you use. Usually turbo kits come with some good parts, some bad, so it's better if you pick and choose your parts separately to make sure you get good parts. Look up user reviews, check ebay for bargains but just make sure the parts are genuine, and NEVER buy an ebay turbo they're glued together.

Not trying to sway you from the B-series swap if that's what you want, go for it, but I'm saying it'd be cheaper going with a D-series. Your goal is the same as mine, 250whp turbo. I'm gonna try it on my D15B Vtec, mostly because if it gets blown up, you can buy a new longblock for like $390 and try again. Then I plan on swapping to a B16 later and boosting the hell out of it when I learn with my D.

yeh man for sure, thanks alot. i'll let you kno wut i end up doing. right now i am thinking about the B swap and then turboing later but you definatly made me think lol

Why don't you just pull the motor in your car, buy the Vitaras pistons and Eagle rods, and have your block built? Seems a lot cheaper than buying a D15B and then slapping new internals in that, and a lot cheaper than a B16/B18 swap. Seems like a grand you don't need to spend. Plus while the motor is out for a couple weeks getting built, you can paint your engine bay and get rid of any extra stuff in there you don't want/need.

A forged D-series will be stronger than any stock B-series (B18C5 included), and like said, you can do it cheaper. You're only looking for 250whp, why bother with the hassle of a B-series swap? So you can say you have a turbo B-series that can't go as fast as the guy with the turbo'd built D-series who spent less? :D

Gotcha thinkin about the D huh? lol

Just remember 250whp is about the max they should be taken to. You said your goal was 250hp, should translate to maybe 220-230whp, you should be safe with that. 250whp is kind of pushin it, but even then just shelling out a little more for vitara pistons and eagle rods is still cheaper than that B-series, and you have the potential for 400whp+ just incase you get board with 250.

To the poster above me: Yea, that'd be the very best way to go about it why didn't I think of that?

To the original poster: Your motor has 220,000 miles...so what you should do is just overhaul it. Take it apart and clean the hell out of it, thoroughly inspect it, replace anything that looks worn, torque it all back to factory spec, etc.. and you can throw in those pistons and rods while you're at it too.

It's a d16z6 or d16y8 right? If it's a cheaper one like the b7, b2, b8, like a 1.5L non-vtec then just swap it.

Last edited:
i belive its the d16y8. yeh im really thinking of that now. how easy would it be to get 250 whp out of the gsr without boost?

i belive its the d16y8. yeh im really thinking of that now. how easy would it be to get 250 whp out of the gsr without boost?

it would take much more money. you'd have to get the head ported and polished. upgrade cams, springs, retainers. maybe valves/valve guides. the reason is no boost (which is called natural aspiration, or NA) needs lots of flow to really make power. with boost, your just forcing the air in there.

boost a B-series. get a real good tune. an experianced tuner shouldnt be giving your motor too much boost and you'll have a reliable 250whp car for a long time (it all depends on the quality of the tune. ignition timing helps ruin motors)

B16s are fun. You have to ween every ounce of power out of it, and it's all above 4,000 - 7,800 rpm. B16 stock internals respond very well to boost.

B18s have a little more low end. making power from around 3,000 - 7,600rpm. The B18 holds well to boost, but not as good as it's lil brother the B16 from all i've read.

estimate 2,000 for the swap (motor/trans, complete swap kit), 1,000 for turbo (if you can find a good one used, or the turbo system price will go up a lot), exhaust manifold, downpipe, oil lines, charge pipe, front mount intercooler, blow off valve, head gasket, and adjustable cam gears. Then estimate another 500 - 800 for a real good tune. around 4,000 total. lil over estimating.

hy ! i am also interested into a turbo kit for my d16Y8 ....but i don't know exactly what internals i need... i've seend the vitara pistons....,but are they stock ones ? what kinda engine does it have to be ?

@93civicracer if you could send me a PM,please,with these info.... 10x a lot !!

hy ! i am also interested into a turbo kit for my d16Y8 ....but i don't know exactly what internals i need... i've seend the vitara pistons....,but are they stock ones ? what kinda engine does it have to be ?

@93civicracer if you could send me a PM,please,with these info.... 10x a lot !!

make ur own damn thread!

Back