which swao to go with

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Dude just go with whatever you want. If you've never turbocharged before...then I'd HAVE to recommend you turbocharge a D16Z6 for a first time with boost. If you blow it up, you can find another z6 almost anywhere for less than $500 and try again til you learn. But you gotta consider if you DO blow up a B-series...any b-series and you're looking at around $1,000 to replace.

I've always wanted a turbo b-series too but money's tight so I'm boosting my D-series first to get it right, and all it takes to move that turbo kit onto a b-series is a different turbo manifold.

ywh well i kno i want a turbo b series, and i have the cash. so i am askin what's the best b series motor...

B18C1 is the fastest of those you're looking at N/A
B18B1 and B16A are both pretty close N/A

B18B1 has lower compression and therefore is more boost-friendly than the other two.

B18B1 is also larger than B16A, so you'll have better low-end from the beginning, plus you'll be able to throw more boost at the lower compression, so assuming you stay stock internals, you should easily be able to make more power on the B18B1 with the extra boost on the extra displacement.

You could also rebuild a D16Z6 with forged internals to handle more power than any of the stock-internals B-series motors, and be cheaper off and an easier swap (no mount or linkage issues)....but I know you're not into saving money to go faster, easier ;)

Last edited:
so you are sayin a b18b will hold boost better than the b18c1

Even though the B18B can hold more boost the B18C1 is a better stock engine than the B18B and if tuned and boosted correctly it should outperform the B18B. However the higher compression engines like the B18C1 are harder to tune and if you screw that up and boost it then it won't last long.

Other

yeh all makes sence. i will do some more reading up on the b18b and see wut i decided...like i said tho this motor is goin to be driven for prolly 1 season without boost thats why i was looking at going with the b18c1 because i kno i would enjoy it more than the b18b while not boosted

yeah expensive compared to z6 with forged internals. Lets put it this way. If you are looking for power go with the z6 forged internals, thicker head gasket to lower compression (i think it is thicker), ARP head studs, tune it, throw a t3 turbo on that bitch boost it at 15 psi or higher and you will have a car putting out a lot of power right there and there are still mods you can do. But if you are building a show car swap the b-series, turbo it, do a wire tuck paint your valve cover, tune it and run like 5 psi. I wouldn't wanna run too high of boost on any stock motor. Unless you got money to burn.

Yea either way, built motor D, B, F, H, K, doesn't matter will always be better for boost than any stock motor. Stock internals are for close to stock power.

It's alright. He'll learn how to boost the hard way :). Or he MIGHT listen and go with a cheaper, stronger, more reliable BUILT D-series that's still cheaper than a stock B-series by itself and can withstand more power but it's his choice. Maybe he'll get lucky with a B who knows.

if he is really serious about the B18b I would say he should build that motor. Its like civicracer said. ANY built motor will be able to push A LOT more power than any stock motor. The other bonus to running with a z6 motor with the thicker head gasket is the low compression makes for a more boost friendly setup.

i dont really kno how you guys can say a b-series boosted wouldn't be reliable. aslong as its tuned properly i would be easily reliable at 8-10psi. i kno i would be saving money going with the built Z6 but i dont think that i want to go that route. reason being is if i get board of the boosted gsr i can always build that and get alot more power than a built D series.. i think i could get the same power out of a stock gsr reliably as i would out of a built D-series

dude hold on for one second, a built d series can take tons of power around 400+whp(YouTube - 406whp/281wht Stock Sleeve Turbo D16z6) watch that video, if it is built properly as with any engine. your talking like you want the gsr, well thats a high compression motor, so when there is no turbo its good. But to trully to run lots of boost you have to rip it apart and lower compression etc. your not going to make 400 hp on a stock gsr period. calm down, do some research

i am by no means sayin that i want to make 400 of stock internals in a gsr...what i was saying is i could build the D-series and boost it and the max i would prolly get is around 350 whp which prolly wouldn't be to reliable. but with a stock gsr 280-300 whp shouldn't be a problem.and if i ever got board of that i could build the gsr and easily get over 400whp

300-350whp on a built D-series will be more reliable than 350whp on a stock B-series :p

You could probably forge the D-series motor for under a grand including machine work.
A stock B18 swap is going to be what....$1500-2000?
Then if you get sick of that, you need to go out and forge that, but to forge the B-series will probably cost a bit more than a grand.

I doubt you will be getting sick of 350whp any time soon if you've only been driving a stock motor around. At that point, you'll have such a hard time with traction and breaking axles, more power would be useless :D

Feel free to spend $1500-2000 for another 50whp that you'll never use :D

In the end, you need to ask yourself what you're doing this for. If you're not doing this only with performance in mind (like if you just want to tell people you have a boosted B-series), then by all means spend the extra money for the show. You just better make the install and overall engine bay show-quality :)

yeh man thanks alot... still trying to decided lol. more or less like i said before i was looking at doing the swap this year and then the turbo set up next year that is why i thought gsr, thinking that it would be more enjoyable while its not boosted. i didn't really want to boost yet this season because i wanted to do more research to find all the best parts and wut not.

if a b series is a must just get the b18b that motor loves boost but anyway. 350whp in a honda is so much any way you cut it, anything more than that is very overkill. At that hp levels reliabilty will be a question even with the best tune, water pumps etc will break. Your tranny will also probably be getting its ass kicked, axles breaking and going throu tires.

but with the built d you could save some bones, not to mention if it takes a shit they are a dime a dozen.

ill put a built and boosted d, next to a boosted b anyday just my 2 cents thou

Back