which swap do i go with and where do i get it

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

93hondaaccordex

i have a 93 honda accord ex, its automatic..i am going to convert it to manual and do a full swap i was thinking about the h22 prelude vtec motor, so my questions are will this fit well in my car? i know i am looking at about $3500 for the swap and i will need new motor mounts and everything... Also i just moved to southern california from arizona and i dont know any good shops to take it to so i can get the conversion and swap done..any info will help thanks to everyone...

h22 will swap in without any major mods.

you will need to add vtec, and if you plan to go with the h22 transmission, you will need to drill and thread new holes for the tranny mount to fit on the h transmission. other than that, its a direct swap. just make sure you get the correct ecu(p13).

it shouldnt cost more than 1500 for everything you need, but as long as its under 2000 it still is alright. i usually charge 300-400 to do a complete swap, and the longest ive taken is 8 hours. i wouldnt pay over 800 for a shop to do the swap.

im not sure what you mean

first of all thanks for the help...but im not sure what you mean by add vtec..isnt the h22 a vtec motor..also i have seen many things that say h22 and many that say h22a what is the difference? also would you happen to know where i can get the motor and a local shop somewhere near riverside or surrounding areas where i can get it installed? any help you can give me is greatly appreciated..i dont know very much about engine swaps and i dont want to end up paying to much for this..thank you in advance

also what parts to i need to complete the swap engine tranny ecu anything else???

i have done some research

i have been looking around and it looks like there are 2 choices for a swap this one JDM H22A-S '97-01 Prelude VTEC (H22AS) which looks like it sells for about $3900 and this one JDM H22A '92-95 Prelude VTEC (H22AG1) which looks like it sells for around $1850 the only difference i see is the first motor looks like it has about 25 more hp or so it is worth spending the extra money for the type-s motor or can you give me some links for motors you think would be best at some good prices..but i do want the best motor for my car that is worth the money...Plus i have noticed some of the swaps i have been seeing are obd 1 and obd 2 what is the difference there??? is one better than the other..if you find any pictures or websites i can look at..that would be extremely helpful and thanks for everything

this is probably the best engine importer out there.
http://www.hmotorsonline.com/shop/sc2000search.cgi?what=page&item=30015

a lot of people that i know personally and over the internet have bought from them and have had little to no problems. steve is a cool guy and he will work with his customers. for best customer service, you should give them a call.

just get the h22a. there really is no point in getting the type s for almost double the price.

obd1 is 92-96, obd2 is 97+. if you get obd2, you will have to do a conversion to obd2, which is just a harness that goes in between your ecu and the original plugs.

try to stick with obd1, its just that much easier for a beginner.

everything you would need comes in that link.

thank you so much

So there is no difference between obd1 and obd2 performance wise? it would just require extra wiring? also on that site you recommended i noticed it has an option for an lsd tranny should i go with that option for the additional $300?how much does shipping usually ruhn do u think to cali? Also it the conversion from automatic to manual hard? i have heard all i have to do is rip out the center console is that true?So with the website you gave me in looking at about $2250 with the lsd option how much do you think the conversion from automatic to manual will cost me?i was thinking about $800 for the conversion and $2250 for the motor plus shipping is that about right?thank you so much for all your help...

they are in cali. best bet for you would be to go out there and pick out the engine yourself.

i would get the lsd.

an auto to manual conversion is not hard at all, especially when the engine is out of the way. ive seenauto to manual swaps go for 400-500, depends where you get it from.

click on the cb7tuner forum link in my sig. go there, search that site for auto to manual conversions. its ALL covered.

i was looking around on the website you gave me for the swap and i noticed they dont offer any kind of warranty at all.. is that normal???? and you are right i think i will just go there to pick out my motor they are only 70 miles from my house..do you know of anyone in preticular i should deal with over there? also you didnt answer my other question performance wise is there a difference with the obd1 and the obd 2?..dude thank you so much for all your help you are a life saver...

Motors average 35,000 miles and come with a 100% start up warranty. All Sensors are guaranteed not broken and in working condition!

they do offer warranty, but it has to be installed by a licensed shop. I can vouche for them as I have installed a few of their engines without any problems.

you dont need the COMPLETE change over, the link i gave is all you need.

*this is their warranty towards the bottom of the page.
Motors average 35,000 miles and come with a 100% start up warranty. All Sensors are guaranteed not broken and in working condition!*

try to pick out the newest engine you can, as long as its 95 and under. just make sure it is OBD1. some 95's were obd2 becuase that is the transition year. talk to steve if you can, good guy.

i looked at the complete change over and the only reason i thought that would be better because i noticed it came with the shifter cable and assembly and since i am doing a automatic to manual conversion as well i figured i would need that stuff also..but im not sure what will i need for the automatic to manual conversion????and that link you gave me to look at the conversion to manual was just wiring diagrams from what i could see....also i had another question i have an f22a right now in the car and in the morning time and when the car is cold when i put it into gear the whole dash and steering wheel shake really bad...after i run the car for a while all the noise goes away..i just started attending an automotive school and i told my teacher the problem and he said it could be a vaccum leak but i have no idea how to check for that can you give me any pointers....

Last edited:
vac leak= a leak in one or more of the many rubber hoses that go to your intake and/or black box.

you need ACCORD parts for your auto to manual conversion.

i put an aftermarket intake on my car and im not sure which hoses to check would you be able to tell me or show me a picture thanks for all your help...will the shop that is doing my auto to manual conversion provide all the necessary parts or do i have to find them first????

Back