Which sway bars?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

lohonda

I was just wondering what everyone thought was the best sway bar that is not incredibly expensive? Also is it that much better to have a lower tie bar that is directly on the rear sway bar? I have a 1992 dx hatch and I also have gsr rear lower control arms that I can put on, if that makes a difference.

Thanks.

If your car didn't come with them, you have to use nuts on the inside of the subframe (on the rear ones) to hold them on, as the non sway models don't have the threading welded in there, I just did it yesterday, and it was annoying getting my big ass hand in the little space between the LCAs and the subframe... And the front you have to either get a power rack with the appropriate LCA's or buy a kit like the ST one that is made for use on cars without sways stock.

Alright I think I am going to go with the usdm or jdm type r sway bar. Does anyone have one for sale? Also I found the parts I need to install it in the articles section. Is the beaks kit alot better than the bsq kit? Because the beaks is $65 and the bsq is $20. Also with both of these kits do I still need a lower tie bar? Also would it be terrible to not have a sway bar in the front, atleast for a little while?

Thanks.

Right now I have no front sway, and there is snow out. Truelly, it is not the bad. It will scare the hell out of you the first few times you spin it, but once you learn how to compinsate for oversteer, it is not that bad.

as for BSQ vs Beaks, they are 2 diffrent designs, however, both work. According to BSQ (he is on honda-tech, and Team-integra.net pretty offten) he has sold over 600 kits, and he has never had a coustomer say that they have ripped there subframe. The beaks is a little more beefier, however, i dont think that it is worth it. I am actually runing the Beaks, and have not had any problems. However, if you plan on running ITR LCA's, dont buy the Beaks, because you have to grind half of the rear bracket off. I did this and a sway bar install took like 5 hours.

If you are going to get the ITR rear sway, you have to buy some LCA's that have holes for the endlinks. What I would do is just go to a junkyard, and take the LCA's and endlinks from any DC integra, VTEC del Sol, or SI hatchback.

I already have gsr lcas. But if I get the BSQ kit do I still need the lower tie bar. I will eventually get one but if I can wait and spend the money later, that would be better.

Thanks.

Originally posted by lohonda@Jan 25 2004, 07:27 PM
I already have gsr lcas. But if I get the BSQ kit do I still need the lower tie bar. I will eventually get one but if I can wait and spend the money later, that would be better.

Thanks.

you dont actually need a rear tie bar. I have yet to install on my car. It is not a necessity, more of a prefrence.

So jdm integra type r or usdm type r endlinks work on a 1992 hatchback with the gsr lca's right? I mean if I found a type r rear sway bar with the 2 bushings and the 2 endlinks all I would need would be the bsq kit right?

Originally posted by lohonda@Jan 26 2004, 09:38 PM
So jdm integra type r or usdm type r endlinks work on a 1992 hatchback with the gsr lca's right? I mean if I found a type r rear sway bar with the 2 bushings and the 2 endlinks all I would need would be the bsq kit right?

you still need the D-brackets and D bushings, as well as a few other things. All the parts that you need are in the article section.

Do you already have endlinks?

No I don't have endlinks yet. The d brakets and the d bushings are the bushings I was thinking of. I found a used jdm type r sway bar for $99 plus shipping on passwordjdm.com. It looks like it comes with the endlinks and the d brackets and bushings. Does that sound resonable?

there are 2 JDM ITR swaybars. There are the 98+spec, and the 96-97spec. The diffrence is 1 mm (23 vs 22). 1mm may not sound like alot, but in sway bars, that is alot.

The formula is...

% stiffness compared to stock = (new diameter/stock diameter)^4

so 23/22)^4=1.19 or 119% stiffer

The JDM 22 mm is the same as the USDM swaybar. From the dealership, the sway is about 70 plus the little things (go to acuraautomotiveparts.org for the best pricing) The 23mm one goes for more then that, and I have seen it go for as much as $120. There is also some site that has them for about 100, and I forgot the name (but i think it is A&Jsomething or other, they are an offical spoon importer)

Also, for the best handling, you need to match the front sway with the back. If you run the USDM/pre98 JDM ITR rear, you should buy the USDM front also. This will give you the most nutreal handling.

The jdm type r sway bar I found is 23mm. It is used though at $99 + shipping, which shouldn't be that much since it's only CA to WA. They also have a jdm type r 25mm front sway bar for $79 + shipping. What do I need to make the front sway bar fit? Is it just front lower control arms? If so what arms can I use?
Does the oem front sway bar go under the exhaust and shift linkage? Also is there a site somewhere that shows pictures of a type r sway bar on a eg?

Thanks for the help.

Originally posted by E_SolSi@Jan 27 2004, 06:48 PM
you dont want that front bar

front sway bars increase understeer :thumbsdown:

Yea, but if you have the right matched set, you have a nice neutral, very solid feel.

true....
but even the ITR is still setup for an understeer bias.... so buying both the front and rear bars for it and putting it on his car will still make his car bias twards understeer
a smaller front bar (like the one from the EG Si) would be a better choice for a nice neutral balance

:concur:
i'm using stock del sol vtec front sway with ITR 22mm rear sway. it feels very balanced, for a fwd car.

a little late , but when I put my gsr rear sway bar on my 94 ex, the subframe was prethreaded to accept the bolts for the sway bar brackets

Originally posted by sleepercivic@Jan 27 2004, 08:37 PM
a little late , but when I put my gsr rear sway bar on my 94 ex, the subframe was prethreaded to accept the bolts for the sway bar brackets

Yea, I think this is along the same lines as the holes for the strut bar, some have the holes, some have them with the rubber plugs, some have the divets, but they aren't all the way through, and some have nothing at all. Thee doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason to which has which.

Alright so if I go with the delsol front sway bar do I just need the front lca's from a civic si, del sol, or gsr that had them? Also does the front sway bar fit under the exhaust and shifter linkage? (does anyone have a picture of an oem sway bar on a civic or integra?)

92b16vx how much do you want for the del sol front sway bar? Do you happen to have front lca's for sale too?

Originally posted by sleepercivic@Jan 27 2004, 03:37 PM

from all the ones that i have seen, they are pre thread, HOWEVER, this does not mean you can just throw the ITR bar on, and not have to worry about subframe tearout. The ITR's subframe is thicker where the sway bar connects to the subframe, as well as were it mounts up, it is flat vs's how non ITR chassis's, the spot kinda goes down

_l
l
(kinda amplified to get true effect)
vs
ll
ll

The beaks kit and BSQ kit are not just mounting kits, they reinforce the subframe and or, correct the whole subframe to make it more flat like the ITR's

Back