which tires

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Wilshire

Big WIll
will a tire with a high sidewall (like 55) fold under itself in hard cornering or will it be fine for track use??? I know its a stupid question... but i really have no clue

it shouldn't fold but you can get heat rings, and sidewall wear which will eat away tires very quickly. I work at a tire shop and if a tire has any sidewall wear or any signs of heat rings, by law we aren't allowed to put the tire back on the car. it can cause all kinds of head aches and safety hazards. what size wheels do you have?

i just bought some new gsr blades so there 15ns. i just never got into tires, you know... but i definitly need to start to do some research.

thanks for the input

goodyear falcons, nitto nitogen, pirelli P0's, are all good tires. . you can most likely find them in the 225/45/15 size. They are high quality tires. A 225 width would be a pretty wide tire on that rim. so if you are looking for better handling those would be a good choice.

225s on a 6 inch wide rim will have a fuck ton of slop in the turns and will handle like ass
stick with a 205/50 on those wheels

I have seen 235 and even 245's on that rim but whatever man I don't know shit about tires, ya know cause all I do at work is change tires all day.

:blah:

yeah when your sidewalls look like this : /____\ its GREAT for handling :rolleyes:

do you even know how low of a profile a 45 sidewall is? yeah 225 is wide which is the point better traction. there is no way a 245/45/15 tire would be too much.

For someone who works at a tire specialty shop, you should know good tires from cheap crap... in your SIG you say your soon-to-have 17's will have Kumho's... Kumho's are of the cheaper bracket tire. Wouldn't you want a quality tire, since you can get it at a discounted price being you work for a tire specialty shop? Just my $0.02.

I LOVE the old BFG drag radials but they discontinued them. The new ones take longer to get sticky. But for daily driving (which I do on DR's), I run 205/55/15.

do you even know how low of a profile a 45 sidewall is? yeah 225 is wide which is the point better traction. there is no way a 245/45/15 tire would be too much.

yes actually... i know that a "45 sidewall" by itself means absolutely fucking nothing
its only the % of the first number

i know that a 245/45 has a taller sidewall than a 205/50

i also know that there isnt dick available in a 245/45/15

i also know about the effects of unsprung weight on handling and the effects of rotational mass on acceleration and braking

feel free to check out these 2 articles i wrote on the subject

https://hondaswap.com/general-tech-articles/unsprung-weight-part-1-a-29057/

https://hondaswap.com/general-tech-articles/unsprung-weight-part-2-a-29058/

i know a bit about tires from racing auto cross,
i know a bit about tires from the several hours and few thousand miles i have spent on race tracks during HPDEs
i know a bit about tires from driving an average of 40,000 miles a year since i got my license

philyphreak2127 said:
I don't know shit

well said :rolleyes:

but whatever man I don't know shit about tires, ya know cause all I do at work is change tires all day.

just because you "change tires all day" doesn't mean you know anything about them, or what is best suited for what purpose. judging by this brief thread, it is apparent that you are rather ignorant and unwilling to listen to other members (and in this case a extremely well informed and experienced moderator) on what should be proper. it's one thing to give bad advice, and then its another to pick fights when you are corrected. being young like you still are, you are going to need to learn real quick that 1. you don't know everything (as you insinuate by the above quote) and 2. there are an innumerable amount of people that know a more then you could ever dream of knowing about what you do for a living. i suggest you take your head out of your ass and listen up when highly knowledgeable people put in there $.02.

that being said, i like my yokohama parada spec 2's, and would recommend them!

Last edited:
I wanna get 225's in DR's. Nice and beefy, hook up real nice launching at 6k.

I know my shit. I also am well aware of the fact that kumhos are cheap tires. Which is why I get them. I don't wanna spend a retarded amount of money on tires. I am happy with the tires I have right now. Kumhos get good mileage out of them and have soft ass tread for such cheap tires, plus my car is a daily driver, not a track car. If it was a track car I would spend big bucks on goodyear g-forces or something like that. When you change tires on a daily basis its pretty easy to pick up on which tires are good tires and which aren't. By the way something you didn't point out which you could have is the enkei 5+ rims are cheap rims....see a pattern there??? yeah not gonna spend huge amounts on wheels and tires. Think what you want. considering I do all the inventory at my store and we just opened up a brand spanking new store, Englewood, Co corner of sante fe and belleview, come in sometime when your in my town I'd be happy to show you the whole rack 3 levels high and about 25 tires wide full of 245/45/15 tires. If I remember correctly we have, goodyear, kumho, michelin, and possibly even Riken in that size. I'm sorry that I got snappy 4 straight 11 hour days with like 5 hours of sleep will do that to you. But I do know my stuff about tires. Whether you guys wanna believe me or not.

Think what you want. considering I do all the inventory at my store and we just opened up a brand spanking new store, Englewood, Co corner of sante fe and belleview, come in sometime when your in my town I'd be happy to show you the whole rack 3 levels high and about 25 tires wide full of 245/45/15 tires. If I remember correctly we have, goodyear, kumho, michelin, and possibly even Riken in that size. I'm sorry that I got snappy 4 straight 11 hour days with like 5 hours of sleep will do that to you. But I do know my stuff about tires. Whether you guys wanna believe me or not.

Not that e needs any help in this matter but i would like to jump in by saying bullshit. and here is a couple of links proving you know nothing.
Goodyear Tires | Find The Right Tire | By Size | Rim Diameter
Tire Model Results Page
Here is 2 of the manufacturer's you said makes 245/45R15. I have worked in a number of tire shops for many of years and never heard of any company making that size.

like I said. my words mean nothing over the internet, you want proof come to my shop corner of belleveiw and sante fe, englewood,co I'll show you the whole rack. I know I just setup the whole store, not to mention a guy just bought 2 of the goodyear g-force tires yesterday for his car of that size. I had to sipe them and mount them. You want proof I'll show you the tires. I could care less what their website says I saw the tires with my own eyes.

Stick with 205/50R15. Anything else would be too wide for the blades.

Stick with 205/50R15. Anything else would be too wide for the blades.;)

Back