Which to buy? Cherokee or Grand Cherokee??

So which one?

• The tough looking boxy Chero

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

phyregod

!!YTINASNI
I'm Jeep shoppin...

Its a toss up between a 95 cherokee and a 95 grand cherokee.. Both can be had for the same price. 4x4 and 4 door a must.

The grand cherokee is more roundy, has a better, newer look to it. It is more luxurious and wins hands down in the interior/creature comforts. BUT, its 600 pounds heavier, has less ground clearance, and costs alot to modify.

The cherokee is very boxy and has what I believe to be a pretty dull interior. Less cargo room. BUT.. is cheaper to modify, has stronger aftermarket support, 600 pounds lighter, and has more ground clearance.

I've always liked the look of a lifted cherokee, and thought that the grand cherokee looks out of its element when lifted..

I will be lifting this jeep, by the way...

Sooooo... gimme some opinions!

sounds like you have already made your decision

both cost about the same... so take that out of the mix
both are or can be had in 4 door models as well as 4x4... so take that out of the mix

you plan to lift it, and as you said you dont like the look of the GC lifted... chalk one up for the cherokee

the body style is a personal choice

the interior is rather bland on the cherokee... but if you plan to off road this jeep then it might be a good thing... i personally would hate fucking up the plush carpet and leather seats in the GC

cargo room... how much crap will you be trying to stuf in there... do you need the extra space... whats the difference when the seats are folded down

sounds like the cherokee is more what you are looking for

This is like choosing to get your eye poked out or your jaw dislocated. Neither option sounds tempting.

I have a 95 Jeep here for parts though if you wanna ship :)

:lmao: :lmao:

I have a friend with a 95 gc on a Rubicon Express lift, lockers, gears, and the good ole' snorkle, and he's rolling on 35's, and he can go anywhere. With a forklift, he beat out two toyota's on 38's in how high he could go without losing the other tires. Only problem is, when its running it is good, and its a horrible gas hog. Like single digits shitty.

I honestly wouldn't ever own a Jeep just because of all the problems he and many others I know have had with theirs.

jeeps always have too many things go wrong with them. For instance, my parents used to own one a few years back, the thing was ALWAYS at the shop getting something done, it was never-ending. My friend just bought a Jeep Cherokee Sport last summer, only problem it came with was the passenger side window switch didnt work. But now the driver side rear door doesnt open, 2 windows dont work, his 4wd gear(s) are going, sometimes his interior lights dont work, and sometimes when the weather and time is right...itll sputter until about 1/2way thru second.

Originally posted by Slammed89Integra@Aug 29 2005, 11:15 PM
I honestly wouldn't ever own a Jeep just because of all the problems he and many others I know have had with theirs.
[post=547088]Quoted post[/post]​

I had an 88 cherokee once.. stock, 2wd.. I had a fooking blast! I took it as a trade in, and it was in pretty rough condition.. Paint was falling off, but mechanically sound.. Anyway, I TRIED to break that thing. I jumped it off of everything I could find. Took it mudding and off roading several times, Had water even with the window openings on a few occasions..

I even rolled it on its side when a jump into mud went horribly wrong.. (got like 6 feet of air) It took two 4x4 dually diesels to pull it out.. It rolled up on its side and sunk half way into the mud. I got out of the driver's door like it was a hatch, was walking around on the side of it... GAWD that was fun... And I never broke the damed thing.. I shot it with some cheap paint and sold it for $2200.00. (only gave em $1000 as a trade in).. So I had a hell of alot of fun, and made $1200 bucks. I want another one : )

And I am interested in the 95 parts jeep.. where it be??

Originally posted by phyregod@Aug 30 2005, 09:58 AM

And I am interested in the 95 parts jeep.. where it be??
[post=547261]Quoted post[/post]​

Kinda joking, It's in CT. The Detroit locker in the rear seized. That's it. It's the 95 H.O. with mopar-only goodies under the hood, Mopar 3" suspension lift, 32" tires, brake upgrades and all the mopar skid plates. It's my dad's Jeep. Black with beige interior, Sport package with all gauges.

Originally posted by Celerity+Aug 30 2005, 12:35 PM-->
@Aug 30 2005, 09:58 AM

And I am interested in the 95 parts jeep..  where it be??

Kinda joking, It's in CT. The Detroit locker in the rear seized. That's it. It's the 95 H.O. with mopar-only goodies under the hood, Mopar 3" suspension lift, 32" tires, brake upgrades and all the mopar skid plates. It's my dad's Jeep. Black with beige interior, Sport package with all gauges.
[post=547347]Quoted post[/post]​

Hrmmm...

Is it an off road beater? I assume its an XJ.. And why is the axle seized? Not sure what causes that. Could be interested....

4dr, 4wd, cheap to modify, and nice round body, good interior...

dude...

you want a Toyota 4-Runner, leave the Jeeps be.

The aftermarket support is steller, they are a little more expensive, but you can go a year or two back and be straight, plus they are toyotas. Watch out for the older 3.0 V6's they had headgasket issues, but the 4-cyls are beautiful.

Originally posted by phyregod+Aug 30 2005, 12:42 PM-->
Originally posted by Celerity@Aug 30 2005, 12:35 PM

Hrmmm...

Is it an off road beater? I assume its an XJ.. And why is the axle seized? Not sure what causes that. Could be interested....
[post=547356]Quoted post[/post]​

Yeah, it's a real offroader. It's got about 12 Jamborees under it's belt, and saw frequent times in water / forests / sands / the lunar surface. All of the body damage, in fact is due to offroading scars. The doors have been re-welded from the women folk using them to enter and exit. It's a real off roader.

wanderinman
@Aug 30 2005, 12:45 PM

dude...

The aftermarket support is steller, they are a little more expensive, but you can go a year or two back and be straight, plus they are toyotas. Watch out for the older 3.0 V6's they had headgasket issues, but the 4-cyls are beautiful.
[post=547361]Quoted post[/post]​

I too, prefer the Toyota Truck. that's why I have a 1987 4Runner. They are tricky to get into real heavy- duty setups though. You have get the pre84 solid front axle 1+ton models for the real suspension. the IFS models limit you in offroad capability.

Originally posted by Celerity+Aug 30 2005, 01:59 PM-->
Originally posted by phyregod@Aug 30 2005, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by Celerity@Aug 30 2005, 12:35 PM

Hrmmm...

[post=547356]Quoted post[/post]​

Yeah, it's a real offroader. It's got about 12 Jamborees under it's belt, and saw frequent times in water / forests / sands / the lunar surface. All of the body damage, in fact is due to offroading scars. The doors have been re-welded from the women folk using them to enter and exit. It's a real off roader.

wanderinman
@Aug 30 2005, 12:45 PM

dude...

The aftermarket support is steller, they are a little more expensive, but you can go a year or two back and be straight, plus they are toyotas.  Watch out for the older 3.0 V6's they had headgasket issues, but the 4-cyls are beautiful.
[post=547361]Quoted post[/post]​

I too, prefer the Toyota Truck. that's why I have a 1987 4Runner. They are tricky to get into real heavy- duty setups though. You have get the pre84 solid front axle 1+ton models for the real suspension. the IFS models limit you in offroad capability.
[post=547405]Quoted post[/post]​

You dont have to get the solid axle models, just their front end. Its a fairly bolt and weld affair to swap it in. From there you can run chevy leaf springs and some other sneaky mods. A boy of mine has a 87 Pickup on 38's that'll flex itself stupid, and he's got under $1500 into the whole truck, including what he spent on the truck. I'll get pictures of it.

Right - and I happen to just get a call on a 1984 SFA, 1 ton Toyota :) With a flat steel bed !

The springs are shot, and it's sold as "$1300 for plow, comes with free truck" kind of thing. interior is blasted, but the body isn't the worst I've seen.

Hell yea. Sell that plow to pay for some new springs and whatnot, you've got a damn good platform right there. Especially with the fat steel bed, it'll be easier when you bob it down the road ;)

Yeah, but I got an offroader - 87 4Runner with a fresh motor, isky cam, P&P, 3 angle and doug thorley exhaust. Rolling on 33", cut out fenders 4" lift and mint interior. The body gets done (Prolly in either a woodland camo, primer, or the entire thing in stone-guard black) and it will be done. Then it's the addition of the little things: The Marlin twin stick, ARB lockers fore and aft, the Anniversary edition roof pop-up lights and the top rack. Oh, and one of those $1000 softtops that I refuse to pay $1000 for.

I am rusty on my Jeep dates, but in the late 80's (I believe it was 89) when Daimler-Chrysler took over the Jeep name. It was at this point that they viewed the Jeep badge with a bit of contempt and cheapened the ever-loving-dogshit out of them. The YJ's (square headlighted... shudder... Wranglers) came with money save Puegot tranny's for a while, and lacked rear bumpers (not for any reason other than it was cheaper to put those "bumperettes" on there).

I had a 99 Wrangler back in high school, went through 3 sets of ring and pinions, 4 trannys, 2 t-cases, and a fuel injection system... and I wasn't even THAT abusive to it.

Daimler-Chrysler Jeep = boo

The perk to them is they dont rust as bad. :shrug2:

Back