Which Tranny Should I Use?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

DA69

first is first here is my engine. I have an LS block bored .20 over, shot peened ls rods, JDM Teg type r pistons, micro polished and balanced crank, b16a head, msd, jg b16a port and polished intake, intake, headz, catback the whole nine yadz? here is my despute. i know i need to get a better tranny than my 91 cable Ls tranny. I want to stick with the cable ones for sure. right now i run the 1/4 and i finish in 3rd gear. that sucks. which cable tranny should i go with. Im thinking the YS1 (92-93 GSR). is that too high of gearing for me? Also im gonna place a phantom grip lsd in whatever i get. :D
thanx :ph34r:

well, since you now have an ls/vtec you want the gearing of a gsr or 1st gen b16 tranny. hopefully you've at least put some ARP rod bolts for the bottom end to hold up the high rpms.

phantom grip is $100 dollars for a reason. i'm not sure exactly but i think it locks both your wheels into spinning and doesn't actually transfer power. more research needed.

here. this is from phantom grip site. Phantom Grip serves two distinctive functions in your street or race vehicle. First, it functions as a disc-type limited slip in cornering and braking. Disc plates exert pressure against spider gears using spring pressure to regulate the amount of slippage at the wheels. Helping to accelerate earlier, while exiting corners at a higher speed.

Secondly, the Phantom Grip works as a locker in hard acceleration. The disc plates pivot, locking spiders, causing both wheels to exert equal power to the road, providing less torque steer than an ordinary differential. With over 120,000 miles of testing, there has been no significant wear of these plates. Although seemingly simple, the 'Phantom Grip design' offers as much maximum traction as other limited slips. The Phantom Grip is extremely strong and durable and comes with a Lifetime Warranty for breakage and manufacturer defects.

it LOCKS your gears. does that sound healthy?

sounds like chevrolets lsd they have used for years, i don't think its a bad deal at all. and "locking your gears" thats what lsd does :fr: it locks the spider gears together not 1-5 and R. . . really the only thing that might not be so great is that the springs get tired after like 64565 burnouts. . . hehe . ..

The Phantom Grip is extremely strong and durable and comes with a Lifetime Warranty for breakage and manufacturer defects.

thats all i need to hear. . . you blow it up, they give ya a new one, i love it!

[sarcasam]and pulling your tranny apart is just tons of fun![/sarcasam]

sounds like checy lsd they have used for years.

Code:
thats all i needed to haer im gonna do that. this car is not my daily driver anyway. its just my toy and i need more grip. i can go like 400 rpm in 1st gear without hitting it and then stomp it and it spins the shit out of 1 wheel. LOTS of Torque :D  thanx again wild bill for your help

Back