which transmission?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

i'm currently working on the ls swap into my 93 del sol si. i need a transmission. i was told the ls transmission is the best for the swap. is this true? i found a gsr transmission on ebay. of course it still has quite a while left so the price could skyrocket but anyway, i was just curious. anyhelp would be much appreciated. thanks, God bless.

true enough. I always reccomend the R first, but b16 with LS 5th is certainly fine. I believe the R might have come with better internals, however I've never compared them directly.

hey guys, thanks for the input. future plans may include a turbo. but that all depends on money of course. and as far as using different 5th gears, i'm lost. i don't know the first thing about doing that. if it involves more spending that's out of the question, my budget is already tight for this swap. also, if any of you know someone selling a transmission fairly cheap, let me know. thanks again.

the reason is, if it's your daily driver, the shorter gears eat your gas mileage on the highway. The LS has a tall 5th so it makes it easier on the ol wallet.

Taller gears work better on boost because they allow more time for the turbo to spool than the shorter gear ratio's would.

Peace*

Lets not start this taller gears better for draggin with turbo info.

trust me, if you can, go with the GSR.

Milan

i have heard both arguments about the turbo, but if you tune a turbo right, you don't have to worry about spool time. i've heard the ls tranny is geared lower and pulls harder from a stop. but i don't know, that's why i asked. thanks.

ANY DECISION IS A GOOD ONE. BUT IF YOU GOING TURBO GO LS TRANNY CAUSE OF THE LONGER GEARS. IF YOU GET A GSR OR B16 TRANNY YOU MIGHT RUN OUT OF GEARS IN THE1/4. :huh:

Stop fucking yelling, we can all hear you (take off your damn caps)

Originally posted by RV1TOOMANY@Jul 3 2003, 12:25 AM
IF YOU GET A GSR OR B16 TRANNY YOU MIGHT RUN OUT OF GEARS IN THE1/4. :huh:

Wow, that might be the stupid thing I have heard all week.

if you top out 4th in the 1/4, there are many ways around this- other than changing the gear ratios/tranny.

- run a bigger tire/slick
- head work to rev the bitch a little higher

Originally posted by 2fastaccord@Jul 2 2003, 04:45 PM
Taller gears work better on boost because they allow more time for the turbo to spool than the shorter gear ratio's would.

Peace*

bullshit.

shorter gears = faster car. NA, boosted, towed, or pushed.
longer gears = slower car. boosted, na, towed, or pushed.

Back