Which TV would you choose, lcd or plasma?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Seany-izzle

well, im getting a new tv. Can't decide on lcd or plasma.... :mellow: Planning on spending in the neighborhood of 2.3k, maybe a couple hundred more if it seems worth it.

lcd
40 inch (1080p)Sony KDL-40V2500 40'' BRAVIA 1080p high-definition LCD TV at Crutchfield.com (@ circuit city for 2250)

42 inch (1080p)Sharp LC-42D62U 42'' AQUOS high-definition 1080p LCD TV at Crutchfield.com

Would you trust this place (Plasma Tv at LCDTVs.com: Lcd Tv, Home Theater Systems, Dlp Tv, Plasma Televisions)? It got 5 stars on cnet.com and 4 on nextag.com. they have real low prices but with $200 shipping, and its still damn cheap. Example, Sony Bravia KDL40XBR2 is 3k on crutchfield and at bestbuy, but 2380 at abes + 188 shipping = 2568. Another one like this sharp.. Butterfly Photo comes to 2600 shipped. Other places include Sony XBR, Digital Cameras at ABES of Maine: Digital Camera, Camera, Cameras, Digital Camera Reviews, and Click For Digital

Plasma

42 inch Samsung HP-S4273 42'' high-definition plasma TV at Crutchfield.com

42 inch Pioneer - 42" Flat-Panel HDTV - PDP-4271HD
(would only buy from abes for 2500 total)

50 inch Philips - Ambilight 50" Flat-Panel Plasma HDTV - 50PF9631D/37
(same as above, only get at shady abes for 2500)

I would prefer something in the 50 inch range, but until june, i just dont have the space. Plus, i bet lcd will replace rear projeciton in the near future anyways. The two things im worried about with lcd's are the viewing angle, i understand that they arent the greatest, and the "screen door". I'd love to have a plasma because of its clarity over lcd's but they dont come in 1080 anything. What would be the biggest disadvantage of not having 1080?? Would it be that noticable on a plasma rather than a lcd or projection? Note that I do plan on buying a PS3 around the same time and I think its 1080p compatible right? I read this, Sony KDL-40XBR2 Reviews. Flat-panel and Plasma TVs Reviews by CNET., and they say that a 40inch tv is simply too small to really get the distinction of 1080p from 720p, so perhaps plasma??

Anywho, which would you rather have? Spend 2.2-2.5k (or less if i use lcdtvs.com or another cheaper retailer) for 1080p lcd or 2.5 for 42-50 inch 720p plasma.... with plans to buy ps3 shortly after.^_^

thanks!

Last edited:
don't buy anything thats not 1080p, or your just going to end up replacing it in a few years.

in other words, don't buy a plasma.

the 1080p AQUOS frigging rocks. if i got an lcd, thats what i'd get.

i'd probably going to get a 36" samsung lcd for my room at some point (i don't need 1080p for there... i got the home theatre in the living room... just want a nice little wall mount to watch the news/weather on in the morning or something). I'm a huge samsung fan :p

the sammy 1080p lcd's are a little out of your price range for a decent size though... so i'd go with the AQUOS

would you buy from any of the other places i listed? basically, not buy from circuit ciy, best buy, or crutchfield?

I do like the price and look of the Sharp, i just have no experience with anything they've made. All the tv's my parents have bought, and I've bought, have been Sony's. Maybe ill go to circuity city and best buy and take a gander...

damn, 46 inch sharp, 2000:1, 1080 for 2600 + white glove delivery... too bad im reading a lot about horizontal banding... so sports on a sharp tv isnt too great.

Last edited:
I buy pretty much all my electronics through crutchfiled.

sure, they aren't the cheapest (if not the most expensive) but when/if it shoudl break or if you have a problem,. they are there for you and are so easy to work with.
Not to mention, their call reps are USA people and actually have a clue what they are talking about. I've called them multiple times over the years, and each rep i've gotten has been more than knowledgeable about what I was trying to accomplish. I'm willing to pay a couple extra bucks for that.

If you're not, thats the risk you take... I have never heard of those other places, and they will never be getting my money so long as crutchfiled is around.

check out avsforum.com

the folks there are far more knowledgeable about details like that sports thing than I ever will be.

its a little out of your budget, but this is IMO the best bang for the buck in LCD 1080p.
Samsung LN-S4096D 40'' high-definition 1080p LCD TV at Crutchfield.com

I went to circuit city and checked out what they had on the floor. For lcd's they had the bravia's, samsungs, the sharp, and the others like hitachi, mitsubishi, lg. I watched the samsung, bravia, and sharp next to eachother... honestly, the bravia looked clearer. My only gripe is that all the lcd's had the fuzzy effect when fast action was goin on, but that was standing up close. At the range I was looking at (about where id sit on my couch) it wasnt THAT noticable, but still was.

The plasmas looked much better, as they should. They had two samsung plasmas that looked very good, and you couldnt reallly notice any ghosting, atleast from couch length, upclose you could see some slight ghosting. I really liked the clarity over the lcd's when it came to fast action... Plus from about 8-9 feet away, I wont be able to notice the difference, plus i wear glasses so I doubt itll make a HUGE difference. And im not THAT much of a nut to where everything must be perfect..

In the end, I liked the Bravia more, albeit it was the xbr versus the v series, its cheaper on the other sites... I only wonder why they are rated so high on cnet and nextag... its tempting.

Last edited:
i'd seriously stay away from sony.

every sony product i've bought in the past 5 years has ended up breaking on me. my mini-dv cam being the last product i bought from them. dead after 3 uses, total recording time, maybe 3 hours.

as for the 1080p input, pretty much all new tv's will take a 1080p hdmi signal... including the sammy i posted above.

Well plasma is out. I dont want to deal with the over heating and the amount of energy they use, plus its said that you should have them in a well ventilate area... yeah our heater is close enough to only worsen the heat issue. That and they are super delicate. I've pretty much narrowed it down to
Samsung LN-S4092D 40'' high-definition LCD TV at Crutchfield.com
Sharp LC-42D62U 42'' AQUOS high-definition 1080p LCD TV at Crutchfield.com

and this one, but i havent been able to find it in any store yet..
Sharp LC-37D90U 37'' AQUOS high-definition 1080p LCD TV at Crutchfield.com

Im leaning heavily towards the 42 inch sharp.

samsung ftw. (coming from the guy getting the Samsung 50" DLP)

seriously. the only two companies id get a flat panel (TV) from is samsung or LG. A friend of mine has 2 LGs (like 37") and one Samsung 46".

Both are amazing.

also, can you hook up a powered sub to a reciever that is 5, 6, or 7.1?? I know that it will plug in, rca plug, but will it damage the sub?

I purchased a Sharp 26'' LCD widescreen with 780p today. I think the picture quality is really good. It really shows the quality on Madden 07 for the 360.

I only paid $800 for mine though. Just thought I'd share my thoughts on Sharp LCD.

Last edited:
plasma is for the "wow" effect from unaware consumers. Those that are aware would just ask, "why?". Plasma cant do true HD, it cant refresh fast enough. Plus the gases need to be recharged which is pretty expensive from what I've read. LCD is where its at if you get a top-shelf brand.

You really cant trust places like BB or CC to show you the best unless you were in BBs Magnolia Center. If it was just one of their many floor models, makes sure you're seeing an HD feed (easiest way is to turn it around and look at the connectors). Plus on good LCDs you'll only see the screen-door effect if its displayed in 480. My bosses have a nice 40"+ Sharp and there is NO screen-door effect on anything 720+.

oh yeah, and 1080p will never get broadcast over cable, satellite maybe, but I havent read up too much on that yet. 1080p will be used for HD-DVD and Blu-Ray.

also, can you hook up a powered sub to a reciever that is 5, 6, or 7.1?? I know that it will plug in, rca plug, but will it damage the sub?

powered subs usually run off of a special digital coax plug. it looks like a single RCA, but it's not. its digital coax.

good? Samsung - 40" 1080p LCD HDTV - LN-S4095D is this the same as the one you linked me to B?

samsung ftw. (coming from the guy getting the Samsung 50" DLP)

i love my sammy :)

that's a good buy. :)

I buy pretty much all my electronics through crutchfiled.

sure, they aren't the cheapest (if not the most expensive) but when/if it shoudl break or if you have a problem,. they are there for you and are so easy to work with.
Not to mention, their call reps are USA people and actually have a clue what they are talking about. I've called them multiple times over the years, and each rep i've gotten has been more than knowledgeable about what I was trying to accomplish. I'm willing to pay a couple extra bucks for that.

If you're not, thats the risk you take... I have never heard of those other places, and they will never be getting my money so long as crutchfiled is around.

check out avsforum.com

the folks there are far more knowledgeable about details like that sports thing than I ever will be.

its a little out of your budget, but this is IMO the best bang for the buck in LCD 1080p.
Samsung LN-S4096D 40'' high-definition 1080p LCD TV at Crutchfield.com

exactly, when you talk about electronics, you always get what you pay for

i cant find any reivews on the sammy i linked (s4095d versus the one you linked B, s4096d) The only real difference i can find is that the 95 has dual picture/pip where the 96 does not. Anyone provide me with any insight?

Back