which wire is the one?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ek9r

i have a 00 civic dx w/ a 00 si cluster, im installing a shift light in my air vent and see no reason to fun extra wire all the way to the negative on the coil in the engine bay.
I was wondering if anybody knows which wire on the 00 si cluster is the rpm signal?
thanks for the help! ;)

you probably will have to run that wire because the ECU does not receive a "RPM signal" - instead it receives TDC, CYP and CKP reluctor signals from the distributor and infers RPM from them. This is very different kind of signal than the coil signal your shift light wants. You *might* be able to get away with using the ignition output signal from the ECU, but I'd be slightly scared to do this.

it IS possible to get the negative coil signal from the cluster. my friend had it done to his car (same car as mine) but it got stolen and he dosent remember which wire it was behind the cluster.

my bad - I thought you meant from the ECU. Misread your post. Lemme look and see if I can find any wirnig diagrams for the EK Si...

Originally posted by ek9r@Sep 16 2003, 09:35 AM
i have a 00 civic dx w/ a 00 si cluster, im installing a shift light in my air vent and see no reason to fun extra wire all the way to the negative on the coil in the engine bay.
I was wondering if anybody knows which wire on the 00 si cluster is the rpm signal?
thanks for the help! ;)

It's usually blue (20ga)

Originally posted by AllMotorMonster+Sep 16 2003, 09:01 PM-->
@Sep 16 2003, 09:35 AM
thanks for the help! ;)

It's usually blue (20ga)

there are at least 3 blue wires. i need the pin location just to be sure

It is blue, but I am not sure which one it is. What I would do is just go on the other side of the firewall to the blue tach wire on the test terminal.

i really dont want to run wires through the firewall. id rather find the signal at the cluster. i know its there because the 00 si cluster reads the rpms fine, but thanks for the advice. :huh:

You could always test it.

With a DMM, set to AC voltage

Start the car, and with the cluster out, Ground one end of the test leads and insert the other into (A) blue wire. Then rev the car a little, you should notice a small jump in voltage.

This is your tach wire.

Back