Which would you choose?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

adnoh

If you had the choice of these two setups (and only these two), which would you go for? I have a DX EG hatch with an SiRII. I drive mainly street, but would like to go lapping a few times this summer with my mechanic and his team. I cannot afford Koni Sports...as much as I want them.

1) KYB AGX with Ground Control Coilovers

OR

2) Tokico Illumina with Eibach Pro Kit

I dont give a flying fuck about appearance, I want a fully functional budget setup. Wheels are 16x7" w/ 205/40/16 Dunlop FM901's.

If I go for the Ground Controls and DONT get them corner balanced, would it really be worth my time?

Thanks for your opinions.

R

id go KYB AGX with Ground Control Coilovers since thats the setup i run personally i feel its best since i use it at the track and on the street, at the track i have thick ass bump stops in the rear so the srpings are almost eliminated. I think tokicos are garbage my buddy had them on his focus and they rode like complete shit and the rear end squat was pretty bad too i admit being a little biased but its just my 2c

The Ground Controls and AGXs would be my choice. Lots of people go out without corner balancing and do fine- although having a properly weighted car is still best. Tokicos are excellent- but the GCs will give you stiffer rates and allow you to level out the car with the heavier engine up front. Pro-Kits will sag a bit up front under the extra weight of the B16.

what about about a little of each? The Tokico's with the GC's?

Originally posted by asmallsol@Jan 4 2005, 05:13 PM
what about about a little of each? The Tokico's with the GC's?
[post=441059]Quoted post[/post]​

Although I'd love too, I just cant afford it. I figure I'd either take a hit on the shock, or the spring. In my opinion, the Illumina is the better shock, and the ground control is the better spring. I dunno...

go with the KYB AGX adjustible shocks, they are sooooo sweet, i say this because you are a street guy, like myself, so you adjust the shocks to either 1 or 2 for a good soft street performance, but when you want to hit the tracks, adjust it to 4, it will stiffin up and will hit corners so nicely, i did alot of resarch on this product and this is a sweet set up, the shock combined with a good spring will give you every bang for your buck. it is pricey, but so worth it. the average KYB AGX shock goes for about $100.00 a peice.

so go with the KYB AGX shocks and ground control coilovers

:werd:

The difference between the KYB AGX and Tokico Illumina shocks is much smaller than the difference between the Ground Control and Pro-Kit springs. The AGXs will handle stock rate GCs just fine. They're also still great shocks. I had a set on the Civic, and I loved them.

Originally posted by 92dxhatch@Jan 4 2005, 06:08 PM
go with the KYB AGX adjustible shocks, they are sooooo sweet, i say this because you are a street guy, like myself, so you adjust the shocks to either 1 or 2 for a good soft street performance, but when you want to hit the tracks, adjust it to 4, it will stiffin up and will hit corners so nicely, i did alot of resarch on this product and this is a sweet set up, the shock combined with a good spring will give you every bang for your buck. it is pricey, but so worth it. the average KYB AGX shock goes for about $100.00 a peice.

[post=441076]Quoted post[/post]​

haha...thanks man. It's funny...I remember giving you advice about almost the same thing....
I love Hondaswap for this reason.....The people you teach end up coming back and teaching you a thing or two.

the only problem I see with the KYB's are if you lower them too much, they have a tendency to blow when lowered a decent amount (like 2 inches) however, my freind tracks his teg with them, is lowered 2 if not slightly more and has never had problems

I never had a problem with my AGXs and the Pro-Kits. If he's considering Pro-Kits for springs, I would assume that an inch and a half is about as much as he wants to lower the car... and the AGXs will handle that just fine.

Originally posted by Calesta@Jan 4 2005, 08:17 PM
I never had a problem with my AGXs and the Pro-Kits. If he's considering Pro-Kits for springs, I would assume that an inch and a half is about as much as he wants to lower the car... and the AGXs will handle that just fine.
[post=441137]Quoted post[/post]​

Thats what I meant when I said I dont give a flying fuck about appearences.....I want to lower the ride height of my suspention enough to dial in the proper spring rate...thats all. I dont plan on just slapping on springs and shocks and driving....I want to get them corner balanced and weighed. If Im buying Coilovers, I want to use them properly, not just to raise or lower my car according to the weather ;)

The spring rates are determined by the coils only- raising and lowering your car won't do anything to change them. If you want to corner weight your car, I would suggest getting threaded coilovers where you can adjust the length of the shock independently of the spring preload (perch height). That way you can corner weight your car and still have it look level.

http://www.omnipowerusa.com/

Those guys have some coilovers for not too much cash, and they're pretty decent.

Originally posted by Calesta@Jan 4 2005, 10:53 PM
The spring rates are determined by the coils only- raising and lowering your car won't do anything to change them. If you want to corner weight your car, I would suggest getting threaded coilovers where you can adjust the length of the shock independently of the spring preload (perch height). That way you can corner weight your car and still have it look level.

http://www.omnipowerusa.com/

Those guys have some coilovers for not too much cash, and they're pretty decent.
[post=441203]Quoted post[/post]​

Thanks Calesta, I'll check them out.

Originally posted by Calesta@Jan 4 2005, 04:43 PM
The Ground Controls and AGXs would be my choice. Lots of people go out without corner balancing and do fine- although having a properly weighted car is still best. Tokicos are excellent- but the GCs will give you stiffer rates and allow you to level out the car with the heavier engine up front. Pro-Kits will sag a bit up front under the extra weight of the B16.
[post=441048]Quoted post[/post]​

:withstupid:

the omni's are very nice coilovers for not much. only downside is that they are non adjustable for the damper stiffness, however, from what I have been reading, they are tuned perfect for the springs.

Originally posted by adnoh+Jan 4 2005, 04:02 PM-->
92dxhatch
@Jan 4 2005, 06:08 PM

[post=441076]Quoted post[/post]​

haha...thanks man. It's funny...I remember giving you advice about almost the same thing....
I love Hondaswap for this reason.....The people you teach end up coming back and teaching you a thing or two.
[post=441096]Quoted post[/post]​

hey thanks for the earlier advise, but this i did alot of resarch, trust me, you'll have all the lowering you want and then some, it acctually won't look that bad, so just do it already, j/k, good luck

Back