Whister Remote Radar Detector Tech note posted

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

HONDAPITSTOP

Hey gang, (now there’s an old saying)

I finished my tech note on the Whistler remote 3400 installation. I mounted it in my ashtray (very stealthy)
Here’s the direct link if you are interested.
remote radar install technote

"Race The Strip Not The Street" :D
Bruce

Originally posted by jiahanhao@Nov 14 2003, 07:05 PM
shouldn't this be in the for sale forums?

Hmmm, I don't think so. Even though I sell the units on my website, I'm posting it for the technote not for the sale. The first technote page just has an email link in case people would be interested in more info or purchasing a radar unit. If I were pushing the sale more rather than just an email link then I'd agree but considering there are many pages of how to and pictures I'd consider it mostly a technote. With that said the moderators here have the final say ;) So I'll leave it up to them.
Peace.
Bruce

:withstupid:

this is more of a "how to" than a "buy from me" post

hes just giving an idea of how to stealth mount a radar detector

now my question is: how noticable is the detector being that low???

Originally posted by E_SolSi@Nov 15 2003, 06:35 AM
now my question is: how noticable is the detector being that low???

Noticable as in can you see the display? I can read it just fine and most of the time you are hearing the quickness of the beeps. You can get a voice module with it and I have one with my 90 accord but voice is kind of just for bling as I listen to the beeps mostly.

or if you mean noticable as in can other people see it from outside the car? If that's what you mean people can't see it at all while driving unless they're in a truck or something and if pulled over and you flip up the ash tray cover and turn off your ignition the five-o would never know it's there. In 48 states detectors are legal (other than I think DE and DC? or can't remember) but think about if a officer sees your detector what's he/she going to be thinking about you're drving habits and if they're on the fence at all about giving you a ticket and see your detector guess what? You get the ticket.

Some people try to quickly hide their window mounted detector while getting pulled over. Not smart as the officer will probably see you fumbling to get the detector hidden and may think you are hiding something worse like a weapon or drugs. This is one of the main reasons that I paid more money to get a remote detector rather than a window mount. Not to mention hiding it from would be idiots who want to smash my window to steal an inexpensive or expensive window mount detector. This just happened to a friend of mine :( Needless to say I hooked him up with a Whistler remote detector so hopefully that will never happen again.

Anyway, sorry about the long reply and don't get me wrong. Window mounted radar detectors are okay but not as desirable IMO. I have a window mounted detector in my wife's van but I hard wired the power suppply and mounted it pretty high up near the top of the rear view mirror so it's not as noticable but I'm sure an officer can see it if he pulls the van over but I don't drive the van as much as the two Accords ;o)

Feel free to ask any other questions :)
Bruce

I wouldn't ever buy another Whistler radar detector. After a Year of use it just started to throw laser warnings randomly and for no reason. It'd do it especially if I revved past 4500 rpm and then wouldn't stop throwing the warning until I would shift back below 4500 rpm.

At least I got my moneys worth out of it when it was stolen last October...I hope the thieves were getting really pissed with it all the time. fucking asses. :angry:

i was mostly refering to wether it cought your attention when it went off.... figuring wind noise / radio will block the audible alert some and with the visual alert being so low i was wondering if there was any trouble noticing it when it alerted you

thanks

Originally posted by sleepergtx@Nov 16 2003, 02:10 AM
I wouldn't ever buy another Whistler radar detector. After a Year of use it just started to throw laser warnings randomly and for no reason. It'd do it especially if I revved past 4500 rpm and then wouldn't stop throwing the warning until I would shift back below 4500 rpm.

At least I got my moneys worth out of it when it was stolen last October...I hope the thieves were getting really pissed with it all the time. fucking asses. :angry:

That sucks about the malfunction. Remote Whistler detectors come with a 5 year warranty so that comes in handy if it malfunctions. Most window mounts come with a 1 ywar warranty. Sorry that it got stolen. Thieves suck and are idiots.
Bruce

199 is ok...I spent 150 on my whistler 1660. where would you mount it in my Civic? <_<

Originally posted by E_SolSi@Nov 16 2003, 02:38 AM
i was mostly refering to wether it cought your attention when it went off.... figuring wind noise / radio will block the audible alert some and with the visual alert being so low i was wondering if there was any trouble noticing it when it alerted you

thanks

I have it set to loud when it first detects a signal and then I have it set to drop to half volume after the signal continues after a few steady beeps. It's louder than my stereo so no problem hearing it. If you needed it up higher then the driver's side coin box location is a good alternative. I mounted my 90 Accord in there and it fit great. In the 95 Accord the coin box is wider so not sure how much modification it would take to fit in there.

Here's the link to my 90 accord install if you want to see it. It's mainly pics and no step by step how to but worth a look.
90 accord remote radar install pics

Bruce

to maximize range you want to mount it as high as you can in the front window (right above the rear view mirror is a good spot)

BUT..... tint will effect range depending how dark it is... so if you have a dark tint or vynal stripe across the very top of the window you might not want to mount it all the way up there (in this case right below the mirror is a good spot)

also if you can, try to hard wire the detector in (run a straight wire to the fuse box, instead of the coiled wire that plugs into your lighter... route it along or behind the window trim up to the detector) this will make the detector less noticable to cops and theives

Back