Who all here has taken off their governor?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

SolidSnakeZero

Im thinking about doint this when i get my new honda but does anyone know if it could ruin the car?

once again, you're wrong.

USDM hondas have a speed limiter that won't let you go over 120.

why, i have no idea. if it's obd2, you're screwed. you can get an obd1 ecu and chip it, and it won't hurt the car. you'll just go over 120. make sure that you keep your rev limiter on thogh, or if you get it taken off too, not to over-rev your motor.

I have my govner off... hondas kind of max out not long after 120 anyways! Well unless you have really long rodes!

Originally posted by civicious@Oct 10 2003, 07:38 PM

why, i have no idea. if it's obd2, you're screwed. you can get an obd1 ecu and chip it, and it won't hurt the car. you'll just go over 120. make sure that you keep your rev limiter on thogh, or if you get it taken off too, not to over-rev your motor.

are you sure my bro has gone over 120 in his civic and ive done over 120 in my teg.? not sure if you mean just obd2s though

Originally posted by civicious@Oct 10 2003, 07:38 PM

o and once again thanks for being mature, notice how i gave up on your childish argument so once again DROP IT.

i did 125 regularly in my stock del sol Si
brian did a little over 125 in his stock del sol Si

its not that USDM hondas are limited at 120mph by any governor type shit its that most of them run out of power to pull them any faster at that point

in my sol 125 was redlining 4th gear... when i shifted to 5th i lost speed... never brought it into the redline so im not sure if i could have brought it higher or not

i have since swapped all that shit out and done 150+ :D

Originally posted by civicious@Oct 10 2003, 02:38 PM

Yes Hondas have rev speed limiters that cut off the fuel supply to the engine when you hit the given rpm (depending on the car).

But they can exceed 120 mph. I have done it before! The car just would not go any faster b/c of areodynamics and they way your gear ratio is set up, to only go so fast!

So Hondas do not have goveners....GM does (90/100mph cut off)!

Originally posted by civicious@Oct 10 2003, 02:38 PM

I dunno about that - when i still had the D16Z6 in my car, i got it up to 127 (4th gear at 6800 rpms - slow pos took forever to get there).

I know JDM motors wont let you go over 112 or so - thats the battle im up against.

Originally posted by SLA@Oct 11 2003, 10:23 AM

Yes Hondas have rev speed limiters that cut off the fuel supply to the engine when you hit the given rpm (depending on the car).

So, if you say - put cams into your car that can rev up higher and dont hit max power till you have gotten to an RPM over your redline - then they wont work right cause your engine will not let you rev higher?

Originally posted by Cashizslick+Oct 12 2003, 09:39 AM-->
@Oct 11 2003, 10:23 AM

So, if you say - put cams into your car that can rev up higher and dont hit max power till you have gotten to an RPM over your redline - then they wont work right cause your engine will not let you rev higher?

I am talking all stock here!

Example:

stock type R's rev higher than LS
stock si rev higher than ex

Originally posted by SLA+Oct 12 2003, 10:57 AM-->
Originally posted by Cashizslick@Oct 12 2003, 09:39 AM
SLA
@Oct 11 2003, 10:23 AM

I am talking all stock here!

Example:

stock type R's rev higher than LS
stock si rev higher than ex

Read my post, i asked you a question, i didnt make a comment.

SPEED limiters and
REV limiters are two entirely different things here boys and girls.

Generally, speed governors are at about 5-10 mph faster than what the oem equipment tire was rated for. for example, H-rated tires @ 110 mph usually top out at 118-122-ish mph.

If you want to remove it, a simle vafc will do the trick.

Back