Who do you bank with?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Dustin_m

And would you recommend them to someone else? why?

I'm about to close my account w/ Wells Fargo, so i need to find one soon.

i changed jobs and with the new paychecks they are telling me that i can't deposit and get some cash back right there, and that theres going to be a hold on the check. 3 branches told me the same thing, and that they don't have an idea of how long this limitation will be on there. Also, last week I wrote a check, and put cash in my account on friday. Check hit my account on Sat, deposit showed as pending, and my balance was up to date. It was a check for my rent, adn I had put just enough in the bank to cover the check. So Monday night at midnight (tuesday morning) the account updates, returns the check, and carges me an NSF fee for $34. The money was deposited before the check hit the account, but after the update, the check date mysteriously changed back to Friday the 7th, and the date on the deposit said the 10th (Monday). I went into a branch, talked to a manager, she refused to do anything, said that the cash that I deposited I didn't have access to until monday night when it went through.

when in doubt go to your employers bank and cash, then deposit cash into your account

or just open an account at the other bank?
or tell your employer to direct deposit?

try and different branch manager? or call their customer service line
pending deposit/= available funds
my bank shows me both amounts online

always ask if they are on the "next business day" when doing banking

when in doubt go to your employers bank and cash, then deposit cash into your account

or just open an account at the other bank?
or tell your employer to direct deposit?

try and different branch manager? or call their customer service line
pending deposit/= available funds
my bank shows me both amounts online

always ask if they are on the "next business day" when doing banking
They thing is, I've done that a bunch of times, just the same, and never had a problem. If anything, I usually just cant withdraw the whole amount from the atm, usually only $100. never had a problem with a check going through.

were your old paychecks written from your bank?

ie: your employer had the same bank as you?

banking is getting more tricky with the electronic check shit going on
gone are the days of the true float
fuckers

were your old paychecks written from your bank?

ie: your employer had the same bank as you?

banking is getting more tricky with the electronic check shit going on
gone are the days of the true float
fuckers
no, actually the old job and new job both used Union Bank of California

did your old checks say PAYROLL ACCOUNT on the top? and the new ones don't?

i think some states have a rule that your whole paycheck(or a large portion) should be considered cash by the bank (since its illegal to bounce paychecks)

why not cash the check at where your employer has their bank acct at, take that cash and then go deposit it into your acct....

Dude. Fuck Wells Fargo. They wanted me to wait two weeks to open a savings account, then they charge like $8 to use a non-company ATM.

I'm sure your company can reccommend a bank. Recked is right, use your employer's bank, then tell them to do direct deposit, then you don't have to dance around with this whole "paper check" bullshit. I had no idea people still got paid with checks. Welcome to 1987, where banking is done entirely on computers.

well like i said, I just started there, so direct deposit usually takes a couple weeks to set up. after havig the problem with the bank I held off on doing the d.d. As far as using their bank, well I actually used to have an account with them till a couple years ago, but closed it because their hours sucked ass. The latest that they are ever open is 5pm, and most here close at 4:30. I was actually really impressed with Wells Fargo up until recently. I always got great service, the online stuff was up to the minute, i could transfer between my mom and i through the site, store hours are great.

I am seriously on the fence on whether or not I should just suck it up and stay with them. Its kinda like a cell phone carrier- they all suck just as bad as the next one. If i decide to stay with them, the d.d. will take care of the check issue, but the service I have got lately has been shitty, really shitty. When I withdrew my money, they didn't even say a fucking word to me after counting the cash out, just went to the next customer, and this service has been at the two branches that are the most convenient to me.

call the main office, or shoot off a complaint letter

you'll more than likely get a response

sounds like your out the NSF fee though

I've been with Wachovia for years and have no complaints

Wells Fargo charged my girlfriend a boatload of money when she came back to Germany. She closed out the account, but they let her pull out $6.85 too much, because apparently there was a 'pending debit transaction' (How the fuck? Aren't debit transactions instant?). She got charged a NSF fee of $24, then for every week she didn't put any money in the account, she got charged another NSF fee, because the NSF fee wasn't paid off. We finally got the forwarded letter (dated a month prior) telling us that she owed $30.85. She got really pissed off, and had me call, because I'm calmer on the phone, and I'm used to dealing with stupid people. (In a past life, I was a telephone computer support technician.) So I called up, told the guy I was her, and he asked for a ssn, etc., then I got talking to him, and he dropped the fees. Also, they charged something like $20 for a maintnence fee, because the account was below $100. I got him to drop all the fees, and so we just had to pay $6.85, then the account had to sit dormant for 30 days, then it was closed.

Moral? Beware of closing a Wells Fargo account. They'll charge you for closing the account, because it has to sit dormant, thus triggering the maint. fee.

When I withdrew my money, they didn't even say a fucking word to me after counting the cash out, just went to the next customer, and this service has been at the two branches that are the most convenient to me.
If you didn't tell them you were closing the account then you get no attention for taking all the money, they just assume you needed it

So I called up, told the guy I was her, and he asked for a ssn, etc., then I got talking to him, and he dropped the fees
wtf? she must have a convenient name for something like that
lol

Washington Mutual. Commerce is pretty good as well. Both should have direct deposit.

My girlfriend banks with them, and they seem pretty cool. And I agree, Wells Fargo is a piece of shit bank. They charge you for everything and everyone that i know tried them and moved on.

Anyway, I use US Banks and I have nothing to say but good things. Ive missed a few credit card payments and I pay them the next day or watever, just forget to do it. Shoot them a call and they take off the late payment fees.

Back