Who else drove a “crappy” car, but loved it and never wanted to trade it?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

4thewin

I drove a 1995 Honda Civic with 210,000 miles. There's no power anything. Manual locks, windows, transmission, no power steering. But I loved it. It was a great car. Runs very reliably, gets great gas mileage. It cost my dad 3,000 dollars years ago, and my sister drove it before me. She complained about it all the time. I had it after her, and I loved it. Heck, the only thing I ever did was basic DIY stuff that AutoMD or other DIY sites tell me. Sadly, I’ve moved on from that car, but I’m keeping it in my garage so hopefully I can give it to my kid someday.

Anybody else?

my first car was an 87 pulsar, auto tragic
it was fun, but not as fun as my $100 cars

1980 toyota tercel 4 door, and a 1980-ish mustard yellow and rust datsun station wagon with 80k on the clock.
you really dont give a shit when you paid $100 for a car

once you grow up and have kids of your own, you will probably put them in something with about 10 airbags and onstar in case they have an accident

I had a 72' chevy malibu, ugly as sin, nasty olive green with black vinal top. rusted, with an inline 6 and 2 speed powerglyde (only good part about it) I bought it for $200 and sold it after driving it around for 6 months for 1000. it was ugly but damn it drove perfect and I still wish I didn't sell it but it needed more work then I could have handled

I've been through 30+ vehicles so far. Loved most of 'em.

One of my favorites was a jeep cherokee. 2wd 4l, base evertything, Manual trans, Black. It was in Ok shape, great shape mechanically. Took it as a partial trade for another vehicle I sold. I tried to destroy that jeep. I'd be cruising along at 70mph, and just steer off into a bar ditch to jump a hill or go exploring.. I went mudding in it, did donuts, more exploring, airborne travel, having complete disregard for it.. because I really didn't want the thing. And it never gave it up. What a trooper it was. Sold it for $1500, which is more than I gave in the trade. Having a solid jeep to romp around in and not worry about was super fun. Which is why I now daily a 4x4 grand cherokee laredo up country blah blah blah. Its nice, luxurious, and tough as balls.

i love my shitty cars..hell ive got one right now

I'm too broke to afford a new car these days, so I don't worry about new cars right away. Now after driving a couple of new cars that some friends own, it would be nice to get away from the "crappy don't know when what is going to give out next" car. One thing you can never produce in a brand new car is character though, I had a 84 chevy truck that had character, that truck acted on its own no matter what you did to it, I later traded it to a friend and he told me that he too noticed that the truck would just decide when it wanted to run right or not. No matter how much you worked on it, or whatever. I know that in reality that vehicles can not think on their own and everything has a cause and a reason, but some days you just cant help but to wonder.

There is definitely something to be said about having that feeling that if something were to happen to your car, you'd understand it's lived a good life. It's funny when you can look at your car and recall the story for each ding. Shopping carts, dicks in parking lots, and etc.

On another note, I believe having a vehicle that can reliably get you from point A to B makes you fortunate. The fact that I have all power, a/c and heat is amazing to me. I had to bust my ass to get anything more than a leaky convertible with power nothing that you had to spray starter fluid into to start, so I'm grateful.

Last edited:
91 318i, Hole rotted through the door, electronic thing was on the fritz, paid 1200+ my other car, which was an 88 sunbird convertible piece of shiiiiiiittttt. got 200 bucks on trade. The sunbird overheated three times on the way to the carlot, and I had recently strung the muffler up with a clothes hanger. But the BMW was a 5 speed, good leather, pretty decent paint where it wasn't rotted, underbody was solid, I guess in hind site it wasn't that bad of a car at all....:(

a few years ago i bought a 93 civic sedan off of my idiot drunk neighbor.. the front drivers side fender was crushed where he ran it into a pole or something.. and he said the motor was no good, because he couldn't stop it from overheating. i paid him 500 bucks for it, put the tags from my dad's 78 chevette on her, and drove to advanced with the heat cranked the whole way (it was like, 90 degrees outside lol). got a thermostat, put it in, that was that. bought an ebay fender and a set of amber corners to fix what dipshit had done to the poor thing. last year, i got a D15B single cam vtec and put it in, and over time i put a few bolt ons here and there.. i still drive her to this day.. and i'll probably drive her until the worst happens and she burns to the ground :) i actually just posted some pics of it tonight.. older "crappy" cars are the ones that, even though shit happens, you feel closer to. or maybe i'm just nuts, because that's totally possible too i guess lol.

older "crappy" cars are the ones that, even though shit happens, you feel closer to.

It is easier to feel closer to an older car to me. Especially if you work on it alot. To this day I can hear certain songs on the radio that make me relate instantly to an old car I once owned. Some times if I drive some ones honda down a high way at night it reminds me of my old 94 civic which I regret even selling.

It is easier to feel closer to an older car to me. Especially if you work on it alot. To this day I can hear certain songs on the radio that make me relate instantly to an old car I once owned. Some times if I drive some ones honda down a high way at night it reminds me of my old 94 civic which I regret even selling.

:werd:i remember changing an axle and screaming along to "ironic" by alanis morisette haha.. good times, good times.. but yeah that's exactly what i'm talking about.. new cars you don't have to tinker with as much, they're just cars, older cars are like relationships.. sometimes they can be a bitch, but with persistence and a little TLC, totally worth it <3

87 acura integra rs coup! 5 speed d16a1 DOHC. It was my first car, and i only paid $500 for it. The body was shit but the interior and the motor/tranny were all in great shape!

I drove that thing till the axles fell off .... litterally. But it lasted me over a year, and we all know how a 16 year old with a straight pipe exhaust drives haha. God i LOVED that car .... I am still looking for another good shape late 80's integra for a decent price.

Back