who else lives in a state with hard winters?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

killbydemons

I live in Vermont, so I hate the idea of spending all kinds of money on my car, only to have the rocker panels rot out (happened on my old '96 civic, wasn't modded or anything, but rot still claimed it) from salt and other nasty things. Anyone here who lives in a place where it isn't sunny and nice year round? What do you guys do to help keep the elements at bay?

Wash the thing once in a while. Columbus gets shitty, but when I was in Chicago they dumped salt daily. I washed the thing a few times a week when it was at its worst. Its worth the time if you really care. Buy some rubberized undercoating and spray the hell out your undercarriage and wheel wells (minding fastener locations of course.)

You can try spraying bed liner / undercoating on. If the car is already starting to rust though, that's probably not going to stop it.

I live in Michigan, which has some of the worst roads and worst winters in the country... :(

if its a new car, have it under-coated.

if it's already seen winter, accept the fact that its a civic and you'll be bored with it in a year or two anyway :)

cant do a damn thing about it dude... the comination of salt, and water make a fine mist that will eat through everything... if you have to drive it in the shit of winter like i do, enjoy it while it lasts... or, get a winter beater... i hate shitcago...

no no no its completely harmless :rolleyes: :lmao:

the trucks are cleaned every time they come back off the road with high pressure sprayers, by guys wearing full respirator equipped haz-mat suits
but the shit is harmless
you can trust them, they're from the government

i live in MI and on a dirt road. i wash and wax heavily as well as under coat any spots once rust is cleaned up of course. its a lot of work to keep a nice car in hard climate just temp change takes a toll

I live in WI and I wash my car once a week because I buy the wash when I fill up. The little extra cost is worth it to me. About once a month I take it to a full blown carwash place.

live in ct and have had my 84 accord for 13 years now and its rust free 100% first i got it painted on the whole underneath and then everytime the snow is gone and its over 32 degrees i wash my car underneath and all

Sometimes, when no one's looking, I drink and margarita on the beach and forget that rust even exists... oh wait.... this isn't my thread...

Back