Who has an iPhone?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

reckedracing

TTIWWOP
VIP
So my friend just got an 8Gb iPhone.
Question for those who have one.
Can you only access the internet when you have access to wifi?

I believe verizon phones use their network so you have internet access whether you're in a hotspot or not.

Most "smartphones" these days have the capability of cellular internet. The new iPhone does as well, if I remember right (and I just looked cuz I myself just got a new pda phone... but I ended up with a PPC-6800).

And isn't the iPhone only for AT&T? What's this about verizon?

I just looked at the iPhone site again, and I shoulda known for sure lol, it DEFFINATLY has internet over the cell network anytime, but wifi can take precedence.

Yea, he has AT&T.

His boss has verizon and can get internet anywhere.
He seems to think he can only get on the internet when he has wifi access.
I think he might have some settings wrong on the phone.

Or he may not pay for a data plan from AT&T. It should work tho...just charge him a ton

Ya then I'd bank on an incorrect setting. IDK sounds like it should work to me. It has the ability.

The guy i work with has an Iphone and he can get out at work here, and we dont have wireless. but his signal is usually so crappy that he cant do anything with it. our blackberrys are the same way. The one I have is AT&T and i get barely any service in my building. But the Verizon ones work perfectly fine, as well as my cell phone which is also verizon.

i dont know if you guys knew or not but you dont have to get the iphone from an at&t store or an apple store anymore. starting sunday, best buy will carry it too. i dont know if pricing will be any different though. usually BB sells phones for cheaper than the provider (just the phone, not the plan) but i dont know how thats going to go, since apple usually sets our price.

200 bucks with a 2 year contract
phone bill will be about the same, in the 100 range
maybe a little more
i think my friend paid 200 bucks just to get a motorola pebble
cool phone, but i don't know if its worth it

Yesterday I bought a PPC-6800 (Sprint Mogul) pocket pc for $300 after the mail in rebate [400 at the store] and my monthly bill will be about $108.00 per month which includes unlimited talk, text, and data. That's with sprint if you didn't notice. I researched around a lot, and AT&T's deal is advertised more and is more flashy with the iPhone and all, but you just cannot beat what you get with sprint for this price!

Plus I'm on the Rev A EVDO network... just as fast as 3G. Great coverage in my Chicagoland area

yea, sprint sucks ass in my area
i was cell-one till they got bought out by at&t

its looks like verizon has better "high speed" cell coverage in my area
anyone know how verizon's wireless shit compares to 3G (which isn't even in my area)

Verizon sucks ballz all day long regardless of what service they are attempting to provide. That's why I got rid of them :)

Basicly, it's like 128k downstream typicly when I used my verizon cell internet. They are behind when it comes to cell internet. Here's a great graphical representation of how each network is progressing with new technology. EVDOmaps - User Based EVDO Rev A Coverage and Mapping Tool

I've never had any problems with my Verizon phone.:shrug2: But I dont use the internet on my phone, I think its a waste.

I've heard iPhones are a pain for texting. I like my Sidekick Lx it's really good for texting, msn, aim. The internet is pretty decent too.

I've never had any problems with my Verizon phone.:shrug2: But I dont use the internet on my phone, I think its a waste.

:werd:

Only problem I have with Verizon is they don't work well inside of warehouses...but this may be due to other things.

Back