Who has used a LS tranny with a B16?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

JohnnyWash1

I have the opportunity to get a clean LS tranny for $300 from the same person who is offering me a b16. He claims the LS lets him hit higher speeds (I doubt the B16 has the pull to take advantage of the tranny) and that finding a B16 hydro is hard and very expensive. Is he full of it?

The B16A does indeed have the pull to max out the LS tranny. Mine hits 140mph on a Y21 and doesn't feel strained. Of course rim wheel size is going to effect it too.

But your bottom end is going to suffer, not too bad in a daily driver sense, but if you like to get on it, you'd definitely be happier with a B16A/CTR/ITR tranny.

it will work fine, and be perfectly streetable... you'll just end up about 3-4 thenths slower in the quater, but get slightly better gas mileage on the highway...

In my opinion, its a complete waste of a good b16. The b16 doesn't have much torque, so it needs that super short gearing to give it good acceleration. Why buy a performance engine, and then put a shitty tranny on it? Just doesn't make sense.

Originally posted by Citizen_Insane@Apr 20 2005, 12:50 PM
In my opinion, its a complete waste of a good b16. The b16 doesn't have much torque, so it needs that super short gearing to give it good acceleration. Why buy a performance engine, and then put a shitty tranny on it? Just doesn't make sense.
[post=489235]Quoted post[/post]​

i dont know about all of that.
I have a ys1 tranny on my b16a3 and it seems to have good acceleration.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Apr 20 2005, 01:27 PM
the CABLE LS tranny is MUCH shorter than the HYDRO LS tranny...
[post=489243]Quoted post[/post]​

ah, I did not know that. thanks B :p

Originally posted by Citizen_Insane@Apr 20 2005, 11:50 AM
[post=489235]Quoted post[/post]​

I agree, which is why I'm asking. I am basically getting a good deal, I think, so I was hoping it would tide me over until later in the summer when I could afford a different tranny. How much do B16 trannys go for?

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Apr 20 2005, 12:57 PM
for 300 bucks to hold you over, i say go for it, and save for an ITR :)
[post=489256]Quoted post[/post]​

I also have the opportunity to get a Si tranny from a '99 with only 51K on it for $850 shipped. Is this a good deal?

It costs like $60 to ship a transmission. I've shipped 3 in the past few years....

I wouldn't pay more than $650 SHIPPED for an Si tranny. Mainly because it's from a 99-00 USDM Si, which is almost a GUARANTEE that it's been ragged on.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Apr 20 2005, 11:57 AM
for 300 bucks to hold you over, i say go for it, and save for an ITR :)
[post=489256]Quoted post[/post]​

i agree, get the tranny and save for a better one, you'll be fine with acceleration and power, the motor can handle it.

Three hunderd bucks is cheap for a tranny, my brother paid $800 for one for a fuckin' Bronco II.

yes honda trannys are cheap! unless your looking in the wrong places-= 650 shipped is good for si or gsr- my friend paul has on up here in mn for 400 but it pops outta 5th occasionally

Back