Who REALLY Cares?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Outlandish_Bandit

So over dinner tonight, myself and John (92b16vx) were bullshitting about pretty unimportant things, and got, somehow onto the topic of apathy. I mean, don't get me wrong, there are things that I do care about, but for the most part, the things that people make a big deal out of I could give a fuck less about. I mean, take for example Lobbyists, whos JOB it is to complain about things. That, more than anything, makes me ashamed of the current "State of Things". People can get paid to COMPLAIN! But anyways, back to apathy. A big issue in the past decade has been the ozone layer. How using hair sprays and other such items introduces Cloroflourocarbons (CFC's) into the atmosphere, depleting the ozone layer and inducing a "Greenhouse effect", raising the temperature of the earth. Furthermore, these same Official Complainers project that this increase in temperature will cause the polar ice caps to melt, thus raising the level of water in our oceans.

Ok, Who Really Cares?

Now in the spirit of things, and having the idea for this post in my head, I came to our handy-dandy internet cafe, located in a former Baath Party underground bunker, to check up on some things. Here is what I found:
According to the usgs website "The total water supply of the world is 326 million cubic miles", and furthermore, "A cubic mile of water equals more than one trillion gallons". Whipping out my equally handy-dandy Windows MSCalc program, I found out that that means that there are 326000000000000000 gallons of water on the Earth. Thats THREE HUNDRED AND TWENTY-SIX QUINTILLION gallons! I don't know about you, but to me, that seems like not just a shitload, but a dumptruck sized load of shit. ALOT, MUCHO, HOLY-CRAP-THATS-ALOT-OF-DAMN-WATER. Ok, back to topic, also on this website I found: "About 3,100 cubic miles of water, mostly in the form of water vapor, is in the atmosphere at any one time. If it all fell as precipitation at once, the Earth would be covered with only about 1 inch of water". Doing the math, thats 3100000000000 (3 Quadrillion, 100 Trillion) gallons of water. Again, seems like a whole freakin lot right? Well, hate to say it, but that only amounts to.... (Yay for MSCalc) 9.5092024539877300613496932515337e-6% of all the water on the planet. Thats not too goddamn much.

So, in summation, Hooray to all the older women who use hairspray, all the mechanics who use various CFC powered sprays, your handy HVAC man letting stray gases into the air, cause add it all up, and its not gonna make that big a fuckin dent.

WHO REALLY CARES?

not me...its not like what i'm doing now is going to effect my life. Maybe in 100-200 years people...if they're still around will be effected by it, but guess what I won't be around for it. So, yea, I don't care.

I release R-134 or whatever the fuck it is into the atmosphere....still isn't enough to do harm to me now. I could figure out how many of theose little bottles it would take to actually effect me now and I'm sure they couldn't produce enough of them or have the need to nor would anyone have enough to pay for it.

I just woke up a half hour ago... fuggin numbers are hurting my head, I need a pop. (soda)

Originally posted by 92civicb18b1@Feb 12 2005, 01:42 PM
not me...its not like what i'm doing now is going to effect my life. Maybe in 100-200 years people...if they're still around will be effected by it, but guess what I won't be around for it. So, yea, I don't care.

I release R-134 or whatever the fuck it is into the atmosphere....still isn't enough to do harm to me now. I could figure out how many of theose little bottles it would take to actually effect me now and I'm sure they couldn't produce enough of them or have the need to nor would anyone have enough to pay for it.
[post=460069]Quoted post[/post]​

how would you feel if the people who lived here 100-200 yrs ago, had the same attitude as you, and had the same problems that we are running into now. then you would be living in it, you would be the one who had to deal with the problems that people before you thought, "you know what, i'm not gonna be here in 200 yrs so why does it matter"

FYI - r-134a isn't as bad for the environment as r-12 is. also just a couple of bottles of r-134a released in a controlled room could kill you.

The point Tim is trying to make is, do you really care? I used to get into it with all my anarcopunk friends that would take about how the system sucked and we were destroying the earth, yet none of them (save one) moved out into the woods to live a truely beniegn existance. They all still drove (even the ones that would clog the bridges on Bikes not Bombs rides), eat at Taco Bell (major chain) because they could fill their vegetarian bellies, and use electricity for instruments to play songs about society and how much it sucked. The point is no one really seems to care if it extends into inconviencing their own life.

Remember kids, America is a myth, built on a revolution.

Well, fortunately I'm not in that situation. I'm not going to be alive during that situation. Everybody is gonna die one day anyway.

My kids, well I wouldn't want them to go through it but I'm only one person...I'm not damaging the earth enough to kill all humanity.

I also don't unleash r134 or r12 often...but I mean I'm not paying like $200 for some jackass to do the same thing I am....Wheres the shit actually go...eventually the atmosphere, I just happened to speed up the process a bit.

Don't mind my completely useless self centered comments. I'm a little tipsy.

Originally posted by adidas_man+Feb 12 2005, 04:18 PM-->
92civicb18b1
@Feb 12 2005, 01:42 PM

[post=460069]Quoted post[/post]​

how would you feel if the people who lived here 100-200 yrs ago, had the same attitude as you, and had the same problems that we are running into now. then you would be living in it, you would be the one who had to deal with the problems that people before you thought, "you know what, i'm not gonna be here in 200 yrs so why does it matter"

FYI - r-134a isn't as bad for the environment as r-12 is. also just a couple of bottles of r-134a released in a controlled room could kill you.
[post=460114]Quoted post[/post]​

You are aware of the industrial revolution yes???
Guess what? They didn't give a fuck about the polution they caused.
Who here remembers asbestos? Did the people creating it give a fuck? No. It was till after a bunch of people got sick and died, that it was removed.
I'm sorry if the end of the world keeps some you guys awake at night.

Back